Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice for penultimate league
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:32 am 

So I'm in this 30-team league and I have what I believe to be the PERFECT draft spot @ 15.

It's looking like a 10x10, H2H and w/ strong potential for DYNASTY KEEPERS year after year (*phew*).

Question is, considering the size of the league and chance of 'keeper' status therein, how early should I reach for Cutch? Likewise, would you think snagging Pedro Alvarez and stashing him on your bench is a wise long-term move?

I'd hate to waste a roster-spot for a season on a guy who probably won't get called up until at least June, especially in a league where talent will be thin. However, if Alvarez delivers like we all think he will, he's worth the wait, right???

Also, are there any other Pirates you'd consider taking and/or stashing knowing that you'll probably be stuck w/ them for life or until you waive them.

Personally, my strategy will be to be competitive this year, draft young and then sit on a few players (prospects), so I will be willing to wait on say a Brad Lincoln or Tim Alderson.

What do you think? Win now or buy into the long run? And are any Pirates worth it?

Post subject: Re: Need advice for penultimate league
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:47 am 

Speaking from a similar experience, when you draft for a dynasty league its all about long term return. Hanley becomes far more valuable than Arod for example. Also, hitters are far more likely to stay great longer than pitchers overall. Closers are rarely good for more than a year or two, so get them late. So, draft young stud bats in the 1st 5 rounds, 5 years ago I was in your shoes in a roto dynasty. I picked Beltran #1, Miggy Cabrera #2, Adam Dunn #3, David Wright #4. I traded Beltran at some point, but the other 3 have been core bats for 5 years running.

Elite prospects have to be picked as well, in that draft I took BJ Upton in the 7th round, Grady Sizemore in the 15th. This year a guy like Jason Heyward has to be considered after the first few rounds. Really, you have to give a major boost to high end guys like Weiters, Posey, Montero, Santana at C, Smoak, Carter, Freeman, Morrison at 1B, Castro at SS, Alvarez, Wallace, Bell at 3B, Jennings, Stanton, Taylor, Ackley, Brown, Westmoreland, Hicks, Saunders at OF. You don't need 10 top prospects at teh expense of your team, but you do need to get 2 or 3 of these guys. See how the other teams are drafting, If someone takes Heyward in round 2 bump everyone up, if its round 4 and everyone is taking vets and closers, you can dictate when to start the prospects.

As for McC, I like him as the 16th best OF this year, so he'll already be someone's #1 OF, really in your format I'd rank him 10th or 11th overall at OF. He'd be behind guys like Braun, J.Upton, Grady, Kemp, Granderson, but not too far back. Other Pirates, with a league so deep almost all of the Pirates regulars will be owned. Take a few of your favorites, but don't go nuts, we all know what usually happens with Pirate prospects.

I'd avoid SP prospects, its way too hard to figure out who will avoid injury and make it as a fantasy SP. Its easier to predict stud hitting prospects then trade them for established pitchers. One of my favorite all time MLB trades was the Rays sending Delmon Young to MIN for Garza and Bartlett. In fantasy you can capitalize on a buzz hitter and get stud SP. I got Haren in a deal for Chase Headley plus others when he was white hot 2 years agao and I got Halladay for Mat Gamel and others a few years ago.

One last thing, position scarcity, I'm not usually worried about this, but in a 30 team league its a big issue. There are only about 15-20 C worth a damn. The same is true at the MI spots. Really in a league that deep everyone will have a few scrubs starting. Try to identify the positions where you have a comfortable fallback, say Andy at 3B, then draft players at other spots. Still, the bottom line is to get above average players regardless of position, so don't go nuts and take Doumit ahead of Josh Hamilton.

Hope that helps.

Post subject: Re: Need advice for penultimate league
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:13 pm 

Well, I got Morton, Alvarez, Tabata and Tony Sanchez.

It's a dynasty keeper, so I figure I can stash the last three no problem.

Couldn't get Cutch, Jones or Milledge because another die-hard Buccos fan was adamant about drafting them all (took Duke in the 2nd round!), but I'll sleep okay with what I got.

Also got Ackley and a few other decent prospects, so I'm psyched for the season to start.

And of course, for the UPPMB league draft!