Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about the players who constitute the starters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm 

I see most teams have a utility player/extra hitter.

Most also have a back-up middle infielder, and 3 relievers.

Questions:

(1) What constitutes the starters? 8 position, 4 starters, 2 relievers, one utility is what I have played in the past. Is this league different?

(2) How many relievers are active each week?

(3) Does our league require that an "extra" middle infielder be part of the line-up?

Post subject: Re: Question about the players who constitute the starters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:20 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I see most teams have a utility player/extra hitter.

Most also have a back-up middle infielder, and 3 relievers.

Questions:

(1) What constitutes the starters? 8 position, 4 starters, 2 relievers, one utility is what I have played in the past. Is this league different?

Yes. Here are the positions that are the starters: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P. You then have four bench spots which gives you a total roster size of 25. You also have three DL spots. When a player goes on his MLB DL, he is eligible for yours and then you can place him and pick up another player

(2) How many relievers are active each week?

Three relievers are active, but the two P spots can also be relievers so theoretically you can have 5 RP in your lineup. Moves are daily, not weekly. You can switch players off your bench up until the first game of the day starts. You can pick up any new players and they are active the next day. There are limits on how many innings total your pitchers can pitch for the season and position players can play. These are tracked by Yahoo on a daily basis.

(3) Does our league require that an "extra" middle infielder be part of the line-up?

Yes. You have a 2B, SS and a MI starting everyday. The MI can be a player with either second base eligibility or SS eligibility. Same is true for the CI. He must have first baseman eligibility or 3B eligibility.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:26 pm 

Well, shit, I guess I should have checked out the starters before drafting.

I am going to wind up with dog poop for the MI spots, with 21 such players subject to keeper status, and another 10 having been picked up in the dispersal. I wondered why the hell teams had 2 SS's.

This kind of sucks, in that the 7 returning teams have 25 players they can have under control, while the new guys have just 10. Makes trading a bitch for us, until the open draft takes place. Also means that we cannot figure out what players are going to be available until later.

Crap. If I knew this, I would have drafted differently. MI is so much more a premium position when a team needs to play 3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:42 pm 

Well you are an expansion team ;) but really everyone is on the same playing field. We all can only keep 10 players. If the teams would have been keep intact, you would have been able to keep 10 off of just one team. Granted the top 10 on each team you drafted from might not be as good, because they just weren't good teams last year. But the 15 non-drafted dispersal players from all the defunct teams actually went back into the pool, just like my 15 people will. The only point that is tougher with you is positions might limit you like you mentioned about the MI. But I can tell you right now of my 10 keepers, 1 is not a MI so I am in the same boat as you because I could only keep from my 25 players. You could actually keep from a pool of 125 although that number came down each time one of the other expansion teams drafted. Honestly, Bucfan, the team who had the best keepers last year didn't win. It's only half the equation. The draft is just as important as are pickups in April and May. Don't sweat it too much.

Also, BBF will have those keepers to you really soon so you will have several weeks to plan your strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:40 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

Also, BBF will have those keepers to you really soon so you will have several weeks to plan your strategy.

Deadline for every team to email or post their keepers was set as Mar 20. The draft is Thursday, April 1 (ha, April Fools Day...Barrys Dopers is getting Bullington and Bixler as his keepers in honor of the occasion!). That gives everyone more than a week to plot strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:44 pm 

BBF. Just a suggestion. I don't see any harm in putting the keepers in maybe a week earlier. Even though a week might seem like a good amount of time, I really like to pour over things for hours and then make some decisions and that usually happens over several days. Like I said, just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:55 pm 

I set the date arbitrarily. Whatever the league wants, we can do.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 pm 

march 13 is fine by me...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:43 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
march 13 is fine by me...

The discussion is about the proposed date for the other 7 managers to identify their 10 keepers. They will do so either on March 13 or March 20. The five new guys would prefer March 13, since that would give us more time to review the avaliable players.

The fact that we are starting 43 position players means that Jeremy Burnitz is looking better by the minute.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:24 pm 

BBF, who are you waiting for for keepers?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:25 am 

BBF wrote:
Deadline for every team to email or post their keepers was set as Mar 20. The draft is Thursday, April 1 (ha, April Fools Day...Barrys Dopers is getting Bullington and Bixler as his keepers in honor of the occasion!). That gives everyone more than a week to plot strategy.

Stupid question: The five new 'expansion' teams, including me, don't have to submit keepers since we only have 10 players, right?

I want to make sure I'm not stalling anything here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:31 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Well, shit, I guess I should have checked out the starters before drafting.

I am going to wind up with dog poop for the MI spots, with 21 such players subject to keeper status, and another 10 having been picked up in the dispersal. I wondered why the hell teams had 2 SS's.

This kind of sucks, in that the 7 returning teams have 25 players they can have under control, while the new guys have just 10. Makes trading a bitch for us, until the open draft takes place. Also means that we cannot figure out what players are going to be available until later.

Crap. If I knew this, I would have drafted differently. MI is so much more a premium position when a team needs to play 3.

Which is why I'm glad I avoided P's in the disperal draft and then took Longoria-Morneau and Phillips. Sure I'm short SS and MI + bench depth, but I'm halfway home with what I got.

Then consider that maybe only 6-8 of the players I have currently will be 'keepers' if I'm allowed to stay in the league next year and everything's gravy. I'm ready for this marathon.

As per dates, etc. Whatever is fine with me. I'll be ready to analyze and draft on time whenever the date becomes official.

So put me down as on the side of whatever helps out the rest of the league in this case.

v/r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
BBF wrote:

Stupid question: The five new 'expansion' teams, including me, don't have to submit keepers since we only have 10 players, right?

I want to make sure I'm not stalling anything here.

Just the returning teams. Those 10 are your keepers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 am 

But if a player is not on either the limited, 10-player roster for the 5 new guys, and not among the 25 on the rosters for the other 7 players, can we select him as a free agent, and replace one of the guys on our list of 10 with the new player?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 am 

Bucfan wrote:
But if a player is not on either the limited, 10-player roster for the 5 new guys, and not among the 25 on the rosters for the other 7 players, can we select him as a free agent, and replace one of the guys on our list of 10 with the new player?

No. All free agents are in the draft pool. All players not selected in the dispersal draft are in the draft pool. All players not kept by the original teams are in the draft pool. There is no free agency until after the draft.