Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fantasy Baseball Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 pm 

This is what i have been talking about making for quite some time now. I will be posting some news on call-ups and injuries that might help out or hurt your fantasy team. We also can discuss good spot starters, and who to pick up and drop when the time is right. Things along those lines. I hope everyone enjoys it and joins in on the conversation and gives the Fantasy Baseball & Contests section a new upbeat feel.

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:09 pm 

Orioles call up prospect pitcher Brad Bergesen. He could end up being a good spot starter in deeper leagues.

White Sox Designate pitcher Mike MacDougal for assignment.

Rockies call up pitcher Franklin Morales. Morales looked like he could grab the 5th spot in the Rockies rotation until he strained his left shoulder warming up Tuesday night and since then he has been placed on the 15-day DL.

Royals call up pitcher Brian Bannister.

Angels call up 3rd basemen Brandon Wood.

Pirates call up catcher Robinzon Diaz. Don't act on him yet as he probably wont see much time in his first week.

Cardinals send projected replacement 3rd basemen for Troy Glaus, David Freese to the minors.

Mariners trade Chris Burke to the Padres for cash.

Mets sign outfielder Wily Mo Pena to a minor league contract.

Mets designate former Pirates pitcher Nelson Figueroa for assignment.

Players to start and sit.
some players haven't got out of their early season slumps so it might be a good time to sit them down for awhile.
Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios is off to a 13 for 63 slump even though it seems all his other teammates have been hitting pretty good.
White Sox infielder and outfielder Alexei Ramírez is just shy of becoming a flatline for the 2009 season so far the only reason i say don't try to trade him right now is because he does play alot of positions and he is off to a 7 for 44 start and you probably wont get good value for him as of yet.
Yankees pitcher Chien-Ming Wang is struggling bad and if you haven't drop him already i say sit him until you see if he is going to get things back on track or not.
Twins pitcher Scott Baker has not looked good since returning from injury and if you can get value out of him make the move now. His stock is dropping fast.

Good pick ups
Indians infielder Asdrubal Cabrera looks to be a good pick up as of right now because he is getting a good bit of playing time and he is making the best of it.
Nationals 1st basemen Nick Johnson is batting almost .500 over the last week with 4 runs scored. I wouldn't say to jump on him yet but if he starts getting some RBI's he might be a good player to look at.
Rays shortstop/outfielder Ben Zobrist has been very hot lately hitting .500 with two home runs and six RBI's over his last 3 games. Great pick up.
and last but not least is our own outfielder Nyjer Morgan who has been very hot at the plate and on the basepaths. He could reach his full potential for stealing bases this season even if his batting average does take a dip.
Thats it for this week. I hope you guys liked it and i hope you will have some to add to it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:48 am 

Well the Fantasy Tidbits section hasn't taken off like i had hoped it had but i am going to continue to do my weekly Wednesday report for a couple more weeks.

Here is this weeks Wednesday report.

Who's headed to the DL and who you shouldn't play for the rest of the week because of lingering injuries.
Brewers placed C Mike Rivera on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left ankle.

Nate McLouth (oblique) threw and ran some on the field before the game Wednesday. McLouth is still several days away from returning.

Kevin Youkilis was not in the starting lineup on Wednesday after getting hit in the back by an Anthony Reyes pitch Tuesday night and this could keep him out another game or two.

J.D. Drew is out of the starting lineup for the second time in three games on Wednesday as he continues to nurse tightness in his left quad.

Josh Hamilton has not started the last three games due to bruised ribs. The team is hopeful that a couple more days of rest will be all he needs and Hamilton can avoid the DL.

Travis Hafner has also been placed on the DL.

Jim Thome is another player to sit for awhile. He probably wont play until atleast Friday and he wont be back to full health even when he returns.

Now here is a list of players to sit just because they haven't been playing so well.

Carlos Quentin who was in a 4-for-30 slide, homered on Wednesday but i still don't think he is deserving of more than a Utility spot this week.

Adrian Beltre went 4-for-4 today with a double, an RBI, and he stole a base. His performance raised his average to .207 to go along with four stolen bases on the season but i still don't think this is enough to give him a start this week.

Matt Holliday is doing so bad this season that it might be time to release him and pick up a decent waiver wire player because of the depth this year in the outfield.

Brian McCann should also be warming up your bench this week since he hasn't been much so far this season.

Geovany Soto is another player to sit and sit for awhile and not just this week. I would try to trade him if there is value out there for him.

Ubaldo Jiménez is being dropped in alot of leagues but i wouldn't go that far as of yet but he is a player to sit for atleast another start or 2.

Jeremy Hermida is a player to sit and maybe even a player to drop as he is not coming along very well.

Now players to play!

Víctor Martínez seems to be back at full health and back to his old ways. He could be the top catcher in the league again. If you could trade Soto and a player for Martinez you should do a dance because you are the luckiest person on earth, but it think it is worth a shot to do.

Bobby Jenks is 5-for-5 in save situations this season and don't look for him to blow alot, but also don't look for him to get alot of chances.

Paul Konerko has 16 RBIs in his last 14 games and is a great play as of right now.

Brian Bannister who was one of my hot pick ups last week is now a must pick up and a good play.

Kendry Morales went 2-for-4 with his third home run, a triple, and two RBI today. He has 13 RBI in his past 10 games. Eight of his last 10 hits have gone for extra bases and he is a great pick up and play as of now.

Torii Hunter went 2-for-4 with his eighth home run today. His April home run tally leaves him one shy of the Angels' club record for the month. Brian Downing swatted nine home runs in April 1987. Hunter did not hit his seventh home run in 2008 until May 31th last year and if you don't have him you might look to trade for him because he could be in for the best year of his career.

doubt me now but look at what i printed last week and there isn't one thing i would go back on as of yet!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:41 am 

Well earlier i worked for about an hour then hit the back button and lost everything i wrote. So ill take another hack at it. I've changed this alittle this week. I am only going to list 5 for each subject.

Who to play this week.

Position Players
Cubs SS Ryan Theriot.
Blue Jays OF Adam Lind.
Rockies Catcher Chris Iannetta.
Royals 2B/SS Alberto Callaspo.
Yankees OF Johnny Damon.

Pitchers
Yankees C.C Sabathia against the Orioles.
Yankees Phil Hughes against the Orioles.
Yankees Joba Chamberlain also against the Orioles. I see 3 good starts for the Yankees against the Orioles.
Twins Francisco Liriano against the Mariners and Félix Hernández.
Mariners Félix Hernández against the Twins and Francisco Liriano. I think this will be a good pitching match up of the young guns.

Player to pick up if they are still out there and some that are guarenteed to be out there

Position Players
Royals 1B Billy Butler.
Royals 2B/SS Alberto Callaspo.
Rockies 1B Todd Helton.
Diamondbacks OF Justin Upton.
Astros OF Michael Bourn.

Pitchers
Angels Shane Loux.
Athletics Michael Wuertz
Nationals Jordan Zimmermann
Blue Jays Scott Richmond
Royals Brian Bannister

Thats it for this weeks Fantasy Tidbits. I hope it helps the few that check this. It has helped me alot so far. In my 5 leagues the lowest i'm ranked is 3rd. Also be ready to jump and pick up Braves pitcher Tommy Hanson and Brewers 3B Mat Gamel. They are tearing up Triple-A and both of their Major League teams are weak at those position.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 am 

Well its Wednesday night/Thursday morning so its time for my Fantasy Tidbits for the upcoming week.
Look at my track record. Over the first month that i have done this i only have made 2 bad picks in my opinion. Now onto this weeks picks. Basis of my picks for players to start is decided on players owned in under 70% of ESPN and Yahoo leagues. So it is players that could be free agents, because anybody could tell you to start Pujols.1-5 is in no order its just 5 players to play and not to play.

Start em' for the batters

1. Giants OF Randy Winn.
2. Indians 2b/SS Asdrubal Cabrera.
3. Dodgers OF Juan Pierre.
4. Reds OF Willy Taveras.
5. Nationals 1B Nick Johnson.

Sit em' for the batters

1. Astros SS Miguel Tejada.
2. Rangers OF Nelson Cruz.
3. Marlins 2B Dan Uggla.
4. Braves 3B Chipper Jones.
5. White Sox OF Carlos Quentin.

Start em' for the pitchers

1. Tigers Armando Galarraga, RHP (3-3, 4.61) against the A's on Sunday.
2. Royals Zack Greinke, RHP (6-1, 0.51) against the Orioles on Friday.
3. Tigers Edwin Jackson, RHP (2-2, 2.60) against the A's on Friday.
4. Braves Javier Vazquez, RHP (3-3, 3.88) against the Diamondbacks Friday.
5. Mets Johan Santana, LHP (4-2, 0.78) against the Giants on Saturday.( NO HITTER ALERT)

Sit em' for the pitchers

1. White Sox Gavin Floyd, RHP (2-3, 7.32) against the Blue Jays on Sunday.
2. Marlins Andrew Miller, LHP (0-1, 6.94) against the Dodgers on Saturday.
3. Mariners Chris Jakubauskas, RHP (1-4, 7.67) against the Red Sox on Friday.
4. Indians Carl Pavano, RHP (3-3, 6.45) against the Rays on Saturday.
5. Padres Jake Peavy, RHP (2-5, 4.30) against the Reds on Sunday.

Thats it for this week. Cya next Wednesday. Hope this helps some of you guys out there. Its keeping me in it so far. In my 5 leagues i'm in 1st in 2 of them, i'm in 2nd in another, 3rd in my last 2. My worst team right now is my 1 team that is in 3rd and i am 7 games out of 1st place.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:10 am 

Here we are again for another week of Fantasy Baseball Tidbits. I'm going to get right down to business this week.

1. Dodgers OF Juan Pierre.
2. Dodgers 1B/3B Casey Blake.
3. Nationals 1B Nick Johnson.
4. Mariners 1B/3B Russell Branyan.
5. Pirates OF Brandon Moss.

Sit em' for the batters

1. Indians OF Grady Sizemore.
2. Rays 3B Evan Longoria.
3. Red Sox 2B Dustin Pedroia.
4. White Sox OF Carlos Quentin.
5. Brewers OF Corey Hart.

1. Giants Matt Cain, RHP (4-1, 2.65) against the Mariners on Saturday.
2. Blue Jays Roy Halladay, RHP (8-1, 2.78) against the Braves on Friday.
3. Dodgers Eric Stults, LHP (4-1, 3.82) against the Rockies on Monday.
4. White Sox Mark Buehrle, LHP (6-1, 2.77) against the Pirates on Sunday.
5. Cubs Carlos Zambrano, RHP (3-1, 4.50) against the Padres on Friday.

Sit em' for the pitchers

1. Mets Tim Redding, RHP (0-0, 3.00) against the Red Sox on Sunday.
2. Rangers Matt Harrison, LHP (4-3, 4.71) against the Yankees on Monday.
3. Braves Kenshin Kawakami, RHP (2-5, 5.73) against the Blue Jays on Friday.
4. Angels Matt Palmer, RHP (5-0, 4.26) against the Dodgers on Sunday.
5. Marlins Chris Volstad, RHP (3-3, 3.64) against the Phillies on Monday.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:44 am 

Back for another week of Fantasy Tidbits. I am coming off of what was probably my worst week so far.

1. Twins OF Michael Cuddyer.
2. Dodgers OF Juan Pierre.
3. Mets OF Gary Sheffield.
4. Twins OF Denard Span.
5. Rays SS/OF Ben Zobrist.

Sit em' for the batters

1. Rangers 2B Ian Kinsler.
2. Cubs OF Alfonso Soriano.
3. Angels OF Vladimir Guerrero.
4. White Sox OF Carlos Quentin.
5. Redsox DH David Ortiz.

1. Tigers Justin Verlander, RHP (5-2, 3.55) against the Orioles on Saturday.
2. Braves Jair Jurrjens, RHP (4-2, 2.07) against the Diamondbacks on Friday.
3. Astros Roy Oswalt, RHP (1-2, 4.62) against the Rockies on Monday.
4. Angels Ervin Santana, RHP (0-2, 7.82) against the Mariners on Sunday.
5. Cardinals Chris Carpenter, RHP (2-0, 0.00) against the Giants on Saturday.

Sit em' for the pitchers

1. A's Dallas Braden, LHP (4-5, 3.69) against the Rangers on Sunday.
2. Cubs Ted Lilly, LHP (5-4, 3.77) against the Dodgers on Friday.
3. Brewers Braden Looper, RHP (4-3, 4.47) against the Reds on Friday.
4. Dodgers Eric Milton, LHP (1-0, 3.00) against the Cubs on Sunday.
5. Phillies Joe Blanton, RHP (3-3, 6.14) against the Padres on Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:42 am 

Well i decided to wait an extra day to post Fantasy Tidbits because i knew nobody would care about it because of all the hype over the trade and the activity on the board, but here we go. Here is my Fantasy Tidbits for this week.

1. Orioles OF Luke Scott.
2. Rangers 1B/3B Hank Blalock.
3. Mariners 3B Adrian Beltre.
4. Indians OF Shin-Soo Choo.
5. Rays 2B/SS/OF Ben Zobrist.

Sit em' for the batters

1. Orioles 2B Brian Roberts.
2. Nationals 1B/OF Adam Dunn.
3. Cubs C Geovany Soto.
4. Rockies 1B/3B Garrett Atkins.
5. Redsox DH David Ortiz.

1. Padres Jake Peavy, RHP (5-6, 4.10) against the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
2. Orioles Rich Hill, LHP (2-0, 4.15) against the Athletics on Sunday.
3. Brewers Braden Looper, RHP (5-3, 4.65) against the Rockies on Tuesday.
4. Braves Felipe Paulino, RHP (1-4, 6.21) against the Pirates on Sunday.
5. Braves Derek Lowe, RHP (6-3, 3.40) against the Pirates on Tuesday.

Sit em' for the pitchers

1. Tigers Armando Galarraga, RHP (3-6, 5.31) against the White Sox on Monday.
2. Red Sox Jon Lester, LHP (4-5, 5.65) against the Rangers on Saturday.
3. Phillies Joe Blanton, RHP (4-3, 5.86) against the Dodgers on Saturday.
4. Braves Tommy Hanson, RHP (0-0, -.--) against the Brewers on Sunday.
5. Rockies Aaron Cook, RHP (3-3, 4.94) against the Cardinals on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:02 pm 

I have a pretty stacked fantasy lineup on mlb.com Im not sure who to start or sit can you help me out?

C Matt Wieters (C,Util , BAL) C U Bn 9 24 1 4 0 7 0 1 0 0 .167
1B Ryan Howard (1B,Util , PHI) 1B U Bn 233 211 36 56 16 123 46 24 2 0 .265
2B Ian Kinsler (2B,Util , TEX) 2B U Bn 256 221 42 61 15 122 44 28 11 2 .276
3B Chipper Jones (3B,Util , ATL) 3B U Bn 147 144 23 44 5 69 23 31 1 1 .306
SS Alexei Ramirez (2B,SS,OF,Util , CWS) 2B SS OF U Bn 129 189 17 46 3 60 23 13 9 2 .243
OF Hunter Pence (OF,Util , HOU) OF U Bn 196 199 31 69 7 106 25 28 5 4 .347
OF Carlos Beltran (OF,Util , NYM) OF U Bn 214 188 33 65 7 105 32 31 7 1 .346
OF Justin Upton (OF,Util , ARI) OF U Bn 218 189 35 60 11 113 34 23 7 1 .317
U Luke Scott (OF,Util, BAL) OF U Bn 162 134 24 44 13 90 33 15 0 0 .328

Pitcher Pts W IP H ER BB K SHO ERA
P Los Angeles Dodgers (P , LAD) P Bn 416 39 522 448 210 240 442 4 3.62

Bench Pts AB R H HR TB RBI BB SB CS AVG
Bn Gordon Beckham (SS,Util , CWS) SS U Bn 0 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Bn Ryan Ludwick (OF,Util, STL) OF U Bn 125 137 18 33 9 64 28 11 2 0 .241
Bn Kurt Suzuki (C,Util , OAK) C U Bn 129 191 23 54 2 76 18 11 1 1 .283
Bn Aubrey Huff (1B,3B,Util , BAL) 1B 3B U Bn 175 213 24 56 8 96 39 21 0 5 .263
Bn Alex Rios (OF,Util , TOR) OF U Bn 183 236 28 62 7 102 27 17 5 1 .263
Bn Michael Cuddyer (OF,Util , MIN) OF U Bn 191 189 30 52 9 96 33 25 4 1 .275

Injured Hitters Pts AB R H HR TB RBI BB SB CS AVG
DL Carlos Quentin (OF,Util, CWS) OF U Bn DL 113 131 20 30 8 60 20 11 1 0 .229
DL Jose Reyes (SS,Util, NYM) SS U Bn DL 129 147 18 41 2 58 15 18 11 2 .279

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:42 pm 

Well Ryann ill do every position.

Catcher- When it comes to catcher you are in a hard spot right now. Matt Wieters will be a star, but the question with him is how long will it take him to become that. Suzuki has good run numbers with 23 and good RBI numbers with 18, but if those aren't what you are looking for Suzuki might not be the option much longer, but don't drop him if it is a league where the highest free agent catcher is lesser owned in leagues than Suzuki, but for this week i think i would go with Wieters, because when he does have a breakout game you will be glad he is in your starting lineup.
1B- Start Howard. Huff has been in a bad stretch as of late, and how is heating up. Get ready for one of those streaks from Howard where he could hit 5 homeruns in a week.
2B- Keep Kinsler going at second.
3B- Chipper is a day to day guy, he is a good start when healthy, but you have to keep an eye on him.
SS- I don't like starting Alexei Ramirez, but there isn't another good option on your team right now. If there are any good free agent out there like Ben Zobrist, Clint Barmes, Ryan Theriot, Jerry Hairston Jr., Yunel Escobar, Cristian Guzmán, or Felipe López i might consider dropping somebody like Gordon Beckham to pick one of them up for awhile.
OF- Keep Pence in there, keep Beltran in there, and keep Justin Upton in there. You have a great red hot outfield right now.
Utility- Luke Scott has been great, but you might want to keep an eye on Alex Rios, because over the last week he has been playing better than Scott.

I hope that helps somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 pm 

It does but im keeping alexie in there he has heated up a little bit. Im glad I took huff out and got chipper out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:23 pm 

Ryann wrote:
It does but im keeping alexie in there he has heated up a little bit. Im glad I took huff out and got chipper out there.

Yeah Chipper has been a good play in the last week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:46 pm 

I got a trade offer I find interesting in my league what would you do?
I give
gordon beckham
hunter pence
justin upton
ryan ludwick
aubrey huff

He gives
Adrian Gonzalez
Felipe Lopez
Ian Stewart
Adam Jones
Michael Bourn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:47 am 

Ryann wrote:
I got a trade offer I find interesting in my league what would you do?
I give
gordon beckham
hunter pence
justin upton
ryan ludwick
aubrey huff

He gives
Adrian Gonzalez
Felipe Lopez
Ian Stewart
Adam Jones
Michael Bourn

This is a hard one for sure because it involves so many players, thats what it took me so long to answer, but here is what i have come up with.

For what you are giving up
Gordon Beckham is 0-13 right now and i think his playing time is going to go down.
Hunter Pence is one hell of a player and he fills all the stats up somewhat.
Justin Upton has been one of the best fantasy players in baseball this year, but you gotta watch because he was injured Sunday and didn't play Monday. So that could be a big factor in the trade.
Ryan Ludwick is not having a great season and i don't know if he is going to turn it around.
Aubrey Huff is falling into a big slump. He has gone 80 at bats with out a homerun. He stock says sell.

For what you are getting
Adrian Gonzalez is great and he is getting better with plate patience.
Felipe Lopez isn't having a great season but he does play almost every position.
Ian Stewart is picking it up big time. His average is low but he is working out the kinks.
Adam Jones is amazing people all over this year. He is the best player on the Orioles right now.
Michael Bourn is powerless but he fills the stats besides that, plus he is great for steals.

So what i come to is i think you should take the trade. It is very very very close but what i think it comes down to is what you are getting fills the stat sheet all over, from homers to steal, to average. Also a factor is that Gordon Beckham is a bordline drop player and there isn't one of those in the players you are getting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:07 pm 

I think lopez is a border line droppable player.
I have decided against it. Due to the fact It doesnt fill any need on my team. I am going to hold onto ludwick and huff until their stock soars. I have a big feeling that at least one of them is going to start tearing it up. Huff is always better as a 2nd half player as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:30 am 

I will be returning tomorrow with a new version of Fantasy Tidbits. I'm changing the day i do it on from Wednesday to Friday so it will help your teams through the final clutch days of the week and the week coming up. I would also like to see more of you out there get involved also. So far it has just been me and Ryann and i know we aren't the only 2 with fantasy baseball teams.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:18 am 

Well my ride home from the game tonight took alittle longer than i thought it would so i will be doing Fantasy Friday tomorrow night on Saturday, but it will still be called Fantasy Friday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:36 am 

Well i fell asleep early tonight and didn't get to you this fantasy baseball friday again. So hopefully Fantasy Friday will finally arrive on Sunday. If Friday didn't work out well i was going to move it to Sunday anyways so it focuses completely on the upcoming week.