Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 Fantasy Baseball Season
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:11 pm 

Yahoo does not unlock the 2017 Fantasy Baseball Season until after the Stupid Bowl is over. As soon as the season is unlocked, I will send out the invitations.

Check your e-mails and come back for another scintillating season!! As a public service, here is the link to the league:

https://archive.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... 2016/61254

Here is my summary of the 2016 Season:

I may be over-using hy-phens, but what-the-heck, here goes.

Somehow, some way, I stumbled home in 1st place. You know the phrase, "even an old sow sometimes finds an acorn"? Well, I proved that a dead sow, well on the way to decomposing, can somehow find an oak tree. My team was led by the amazing keeper-to-be Jonathan Villar who gave me 2 R's and a .357 OBP before I brilliantly dumped him before he could pollute my team with his 19 HR, 63 RBI, 92 R, .369 OBP and 62 SB's while qualifying at about 7 positions. I also benefitted from the brilliant addition of Seung Hwan Oh for 4 meaningless innings, before he logged 6 W, 19 saves, 1.92 ERA, 0.92 WHIP and 103 K's in 79 IP. Shrewd moves like this marked my 2016 campaign. I did have the benefit of Mike Trout and Paul Goldschmidt, so there's that.

In second place - as usual - was the Dutch Baron, Hugo, and his Studs on Steroids #18. I believe that the team name may have some relationship to that Peyton Manning steroid issue, but am not sure. Hugo's squad was led by the best infield in the league with Donaldson, Dozier, Machado, Bryant and the now-dealt Lindor. How good was Hugo's infield? He played Bryant in the outfield. Hah, that will teach you to horde the 3rd basemen, Hugo. Hugo's team slugged a bazillon home runs, and also rang up 152 saves, but at the cost of wins since his team logged just 85 W's and had just one pitcher with double-digit victories. Also, despite the plethora of closers and dearth of starting pitchers, Hugo's team totaled a somewhat disappointing 3.74 ERA. If roto gave a team "bonus" points for demolishing the competition in a category, then Hugo's saves and HR bonus points would have placed him ... second.

Chris' Bonds Bombers had a great year and held 1st place for more days than any other team. Chris' team was led by Anthony Rizzo, Carlos Gonzalez, David Ortiz, Mookie Betts, Jean Segura, and the brilliant late-season (dammit, another hyphen!!) addition of Gary Sanchez, who posted 15 HR's, 31 RBI's, and a .369 OBP in less than 1/3 of a season. However, Chris' team was derailed by Kershaw's back injury and his mistaken belief that the league had a 4,000 IP limit, rather than 1450. I recommend that the Pirates convince the Yankees that they are obligated by rule to deal their catcher to the Pirates, and thereby obtain one G. Sanchez. Hey, tell Nutting that we already have the "Sanchez" jerseys, in catcher size! He can't pass on the deal.

Ian's Newman/Kramer team led for much of the first two months behind the stellar play of shortstops Xander Boegarts and Carlos Carrasco, balanced power with 10 different players logging at least 20 HR's, and two starting pitchers posting 18 W's each. However, Ian's group was saddled with a troublesome bullpen that featured more "dead men walking" than red-shirt wearing Star Trek extras beamed to the planet only to be turned into dust. His cut-and-paste pen included Ryan Buchter, Edwin Diaz, Neftali Feliz, David Hernandez, Hector Neris, and possibly Roman emperor Nero.

Chris K's Bierbauer's Polka had a strong 2nd half to take 5th place, with a productive offense led by Freddie Freeman and Hanley Ramirez, but a bit thin on the SB front despite the addition of noted base-stealing phenom and indicted "hitter" Jose Reyes. Chris' team logged an incredible 113 W, which is the most of any team I can remember in this league. Of course his team won a ton of games - he had J.A. freaking Happ on this team. However, several of the starting pitchers appeared to be miffed at the work by their brethren and sabotaged the team ERA and WHIP. Those suspects include Zach Greinke, Michael Pineda and Mat Latos. Too many hyphens ... not enough "T's."

Robbie's BuccoBlast21 rounded out the "upper division" by finishing 6th. Robbie seemed to conclude in July that he was not going to take the title, and thereby started dealing players for draft picks ... and dealing, and dealing, and dealing. His squad was led by Robinson Cano and Ryan Braun, as well as Marte's post-trade 35 SB's. Robbie's team had an excellent pen, led by Chapman and Familia, and two very good starters in Bumgarner and Lester. However, the rest of the starting pitching was ... not good. Michael Wacha imploded, and Adam Wainwright was terrible. How the heck did the Cardinals finish so far ahead of our Bucccos??

Ken's King-Kang squad was led by ... well, not by Kang. Hey, isn't it a rule that where your team name incorporates a player's name that the player has to be on the team? In any event, Ken had four different hitters log at least 30 HR"s, including one who never did squat for my team during the four seasons he acted as a keeper. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Longoria. Those four (Longoria, Davis, Cruz and Bruce) combined to hit 147 HR's among them, but the rest of the team combined barely exceed that. Ken goes into next season with two of the top 12 players in fantasy baseball in middle-infielders Jose Altuve (no surprise any more) and Jonathan Villar (wait, what??). Ken's pitching was set back by injuries to starters Matt Harvey and Tyson Ross, resulting in a team ERA and WHIP of 4.27 and 1.31. Yikes. 2001 called and wants its pitching stats back.

Rich's best nabbed 8th place, relying on power from Mark Trumbo and Evan Gattis and SB's from Billy Hamilton. Hey, if you combined those three guys into one player, he would be a solid fantasy producer. The squad had elite WHIP and ERA, led by Cueto, Oh, Darvish, Strasburg and Melancon. Hey, the first two together sound like the 2013 Wild Card game at PNC ... Cueeeee - tooooooo.

Dave's #21 team took 9th place behind Matt Kemp, Ian Kinsler, Miguel Cabrera, and ... Logan Forsythe? Unfortunately for Dave, this is 2016 and his TEAM had 14 fewer stolen bases than Jonathan Villar. If there was one team that embodied the difficulty in finding saves in our league (*cough* don't hog the saves, Hugo), it was Dave's #21. The squad racked up a mere 47 saves, or less than Familia and equal to what Melancon, Britton and Jansen logged. Meanwhile, Dave's team hoped for good production from veteran Jonathan Papelbon, but he choked and lost the job to Melancon.

In 10th place was Danny's DL team, which utilized a late-season push to escape the basement, behind the erstwhile efforts of Corey Seager, Troy Tulowitzki (who amazingly enough played 125 games and rang up 23 HR and 76 RBI's), Joc Pederson, and Jackie Bradley, Jr. Danny's pitching featured the good (Cole Hamels and his 15 W, Jansen's 47 saves and 104 K's in 68 IP), the bad (Yordano Ventura and his 5.32 ERA and 1.52 WHIP), and the ugly (Ryan Vogelsong, Danny? 6.90 ERA, 1.70 WHIP??).

With a mighty push on the last day, Christopher's Spokane Pirates escaped the cellar and finished 11th. Christopher's hitting was led by Eric Hosmer, Yoenis Cespedes, Adam Jones and Addison Russell. However, Christopher's group logged a mere 65 stolen bases (barely nudging out Villar), and a woeful .317 OBP. Christopher's group was basically the Pedro Alvarez of our league - hey, lots of bombs, but terrible OBP and no stolen bases. Christopher's pitching was led by David Price, Julio Teheran, and ... Jimmy Nelson? Wasn't he on "Leave it to Beaver"? Saves also became a big issue for Christopher's team after Steve Cishek lost his closer's gig, but that did not stop his team from posting 2 W's, 20 IP, 22 K's, 0.90 ERA and 0.80 WHIP on the last day of the season to grab 5 (!!) points on the season's last day and avoid the basement.

Finally, I reach John's Flying Beagles. John proudly owns the coveted 12th place trophy, and one well-deserved behind stellar contributors like Byung Ho Park and his .275 OBP - not batting average, BUT OBP - and Adonis Garcia, who apparently looks like Adonis but hits like Venus de Milo. But hey, good news, John's pitching will be solid next year, founded on Dallas Keuchel (oops), Felix Hernandez (double oops), and Jose Fernan... never mind. And we've all heard that theory, "forget closers, just pick up some free agent." You know how that ends up? With Jake McGee and Shawn Tolleson combining for 26 saves and a bazillion runs allowed.

So there we have it ... your 2016 UPPMB Fantasy Baseball summary and overview. This the toughest season I have had in bringing home the trophy. Lots of fun, and I look forward to next year!!

Only 5 keepers - the draft will decide the champion!! That and stupid free agent closers.

Post subject: Re: 2017 Fantasy Baseball Season
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm 

Nice job, Bucfan!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:50 pm 

Just checked Yahoo today, and you can now renew the league!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:54 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Just checked Yahoo today, and you can now renew the league!!!

Thanks. League renewed, here is the site:

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/8640

Usually, the league sends out invitations via e-mail to renew, but appears to have already renewed all prior league owners.

I am not sure who is still in and who may be out this year - every year, we lose a manager or 2.

I am going to send out a league-wide e-mail, asking for confirmation for the renewal. Any manager who has better things to do with his life than manage a fake team in a fictional league ... well, then, just let me know and I will look for a replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm 

Bierbauer's Polka is in..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:29 pm 

Nice ...

I have set up the keeper deadline and draft.

The deadline for designating keepers is March 21, 2017.

The draft will take place Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. EST. That is 5:00 p.m. my time, so I have to leave work early. I would make the draft a bit earlier but don't think I can bail on work earlier than 4:15 p.m.

If those dates do not work for any significant number of managers, then I can re-set to a better date. Maybe have the draft on Saturday, April 1 - the day before the season starts?? Let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 pm 

Rich's Best is in again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:59 pm 

I'm in again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:03 pm 

Looks like I have six definite returnees thus far (me, Bierbauer's, Dan, Rich, Motown, Robbie).

Hope to lock in the last six. Check your e-mail and/or the league web sit to lock in your returning team. Here is the web site:

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.co ... mailleague

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 pm 

Now up to 9 returnees (me, Bierbauer's, Dan, Rich, Motown, Robbie, Dutch, Ken, Chris K.) for sure.

Still awaiting definitive word from a few ... but here is the issue where I might be waiting for word from just 1 manager.

Specifically, the team names and manager e-mails do not designate the identity of the user name on the message board. (Dan and Rich are the exception.) Therefore, I apologize if I did not properly note your acceptance of the league invitations, as to John, Christopher A. and the 3rd Chris (not Chris K.).

Can I please get a list of your team name related to the re-up, and identification as to your user name on this forum?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 am 

The Sandstone Sluggers are in!

Time to take advantage of the newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:53 pm 

I'm back in!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 am 

Shakeup on the podium! Well, except for Bucfan anyway.