Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PS3 games
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Does anyone know the main differences between MLB 2K9 and MLB '09: The Show? They both come out on March 3 and I'll end up buying one of them I just have no clue which is better. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

Post subject: Re: PS3 games
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:44 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Does anyone know the main differences between MLB 2K9 and MLB '09: The Show? They both come out on March 3 and I'll end up buying one of them I just have no clue which is better. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Don't know about the Playstation, but for the Xbox360, the 2k series is pretty bad. I have heard good reviews for The Show, though. I wish I had that option for the 360.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 pm 

Would be cool if we all bought the same game and played against each other on XBox live.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Would be cool if we all bought the same game and played against each other on XBox live.

I think that is a consideration worth exploring. I have no XBox ("She has a name, Ted!"), but I do have the Wii, and if I buy any of the aformentioned baseball games, I would be interested in knowing who else here has a Wii and plans on doing so as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:20 pm 

The 2K series is god awful, though I heard that they changed their player development program this year so that if you want your rookie to get better you actually need to play him like in real life. That sounds pretty exciting. Unfortunately, I have an XBox and don't have a choice as the Show has been so much better each year. I also heard the show has added seemingly easy things to teh game like arbitration and 40 man September rosters, so already it sounds fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:23 pm 

Does anyone else play OOTP baseball? I can't recommend it enough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:24 pm 

I adore OOTP but I have a Mac now and haven't been able to play it for a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:29 pm 

I used to play Baseball Mogul. Are the two comparable?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:41 pm 

Never played Mogul, but I think they are pretty similar. I have the '08 version of OOTP and it took me until 2010 to have the Pirates in the playoffs, after 2 seasons below .500. Of course, since then I have won >90 games a season, and 1 World Series.

Its funny to see which Pirates prospects develop into superstars. Quincy Lattimore, anyone? Kris Watts? Hell, even Danny Moskos panned out. McCutchen was a bust, but Neil Walker has anchored 3b for 6 years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:01 pm 

Well being that i am 21 and grew up in the video game era i would have to say there is no good baseball game left.The last 2 good ones were MVP baseball 2004 and 2005 made by EA sports.I will probably try out MLB 09 the show but don't even consider 2K9.Sega makes horrible sports games and i can't wait until their license runs out so EA can make another baseball game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm 

Yeah it is MVP baseball 2005.I wasn't sure if the last one was 2004 or 2005.I hear they made 2 college games after this and they are pretty good.I think for 2006 and 2007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 pm 

The Show 08 is awesome.

The only gripe I have is that the hitting interface takes some getting used to.

Here's the IGN preview for 09:

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/143/14307517.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:53 am 

Any good PS3 games that are fun to play in online and single mode?
So I just recently got a PS3 and so far I have Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV. I have an option of buying one game for the PS3 as a Christmas girft and I just wanted to ask what's your favourite games and any games that are fun to play in single and online mode? Let me know. Thx!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:59 pm 

kayanat wrote:
Any good PS3 games that are fun to play in online and single mode?
So I just recently got a PS3 and so far I have Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV. I have an option of buying one game for the PS3 as a Christmas girft and I just wanted to ask what's your favourite games and any games that are fun to play in single and online mode? Let me know. Thx!

Watch out posting about something off topic.I posted a long review of MLB 2K9 in this topic(which wasn't off topic it was just to compare) and it was deleted for no reason.
But i would have to say there are some of the first waive of PS3 games that you might find to your liking.
These are ones thats you will find priced under $20.Motor Storm1(much better than the 2nd and cheaper) which will be about $10-20, Tiger Woods 07 i bought mine for $5 at K-Mart.Now for fighting/shooting games i like the Resistance series.The first one you can find cheap for about $10-20 and the second one i think is still about $40-60.Warhawk is a good game but it is an online only game so it is hard to get good at when you are getting beat around by people that are really good at the game.
But as for the 2 you named GTA IV isn't different enough from 3 and before you know it there will be a new one , Mercenaries 2 is a good cheaper alternate to the GTA series, but Metal Gear Solid 4 is always a good pick if thats is your kind of game, im just not crazy about the shooting system so i would say rent that game first and make sure it is the kind of game that you want to pay $50-60 for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:38 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
But as for the 2 you named GTA IV isn't different enough from 3 and before you know it there will be a new one ,

Have you played these games? IV is worlds better than 3. Not as different as San Andreas was, but certainly different...different characters, different plot, much better graphics, much bigger (and much more interactive) city. About as different as a game can be and still be called a sequel, IMO. As for a new one, IV is almost a year old, and I have yet to hear any leaks of a new game. However, if there were, you can bet I'd buy it.

EDIT: I've just found a source suggesting a GTA5 will be released in Fall, 2010. Over a year away. Plus, add in the inevitable delays, its probably 2 years until we get a new GTA game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:44 pm 

BBF wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
But as for the 2 you named GTA IV isn't different enough from 3 and before you know it there will be a new one ,

Have you played these games? IV is worlds better than 3. Not as different as San Andreas was, but certainly different...different characters, different plot, much better graphics, much bigger (and much more interactive) city. About as different as a game can be and still be called a sequel, IMO. As for a new one, IV is almost a year old, and I have yet to hear any leaks of a new game. However, if there were, you can bet I'd buy it.

EDIT: I've just found a source suggesting a GTA5 will be released in Fall, 2010. Over a year away. Plus, add in the inevitable delays, its probably 2 years until we get a new GTA game.

Yeah i play all of them.I screwed up.I meant not much of a difference between San Andreas and IV.The online play makes it alot better but i didn't think the story was that well changed.They have to have another in between game like how San Andreas was because there is about half as many people playing 4 online compared to the first 3 months of its release.I'm more of a Halo 3 person myself but i'm getting sick of it 2.They need a new one and Halo Wars stinks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:47 pm 

Halo 3 on XBox live is great fun. Especially with your buddies. The first Halo is still my favorite though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:03 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Halo 3 on XBox live is great fun. Especially with your buddies. The first Halo is still my favorite though.

Oh yeah i wasted alot of time on Halo 3.I got up to a Colonel grade 3 but i quit playing because everybody they put me in games with are hackers, and the social matches have been taken over by hackers also.You will see somebody floating above the level shooting.
I like GTA IV better on 360 also because i got the expansion pack "The Lost and Damned" and as far as i know there isn't an expansion pack for PS3.There is also plans to have another expansion pack released for GTA IV on 360 this year.But here is a quote from Wikipedia.So i was very wrong about there being a new one soon unless you consider Conside Chinatown Wars for the DS a new one.

Following the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar Games has released Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and is developing a second downloadable pack for the Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto IV. After the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, rumors began circulating that the next complete console installment would be released in 2009. However, in January of 2009, Rockstar confirmed that this was untrue. Many video game experts now believe that the next console installment will be released in 2010. On the 20th episode of GameTrailers' "Bonus Round", Wedbush Morgan Securities’ video game industry analyst Michael Pachter said, “I actually think they already have a story in mind. GTA5 is already in the planning stage and my guess is you’ll see [the next GTA] in two and a half years. In fall of 2010, there’ll be Grand Theft Auto 5.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:25 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Oh yeah i wasted alot of time on Halo 3.I got up to a Colonel grade 3 but i quit playing because everybody they put me in games with are hackers, and the social matches have been taken over by hackers also.You will see somebody floating above the level shooting.
I like GTA IV better on 360 also because i got the expansion pack "The Lost and Damned" and as far as i know there isn't an expansion pack for PS3.There is also plans to have another expansion pack released for GTA IV on 360 this year.But here is a quote from Wikipedia.So i was very wrong about there being a new one soon unless you consider Conside Chinatown Wars for the DS a new one.

Following the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar Games has released Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and is developing a second downloadable pack for the Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto IV. After the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, rumors began circulating that the next complete console installment would be released in 2009. However, in January of 2009, Rockstar confirmed that this was untrue. Many video game experts now believe that the next console installment will be released in 2010. On the 20th episode of GameTrailers' "Bonus Round", Wedbush Morgan Securities’ video game industry analyst Michael Pachter said, “I actually think they already have a story in mind. GTA5 is already in the planning stage and my guess is you’ll see [the next GTA] in two and a half years. In fall of 2010, there’ll be Grand Theft Auto 5.”

How is that expansion pack? I've been considering it, but right now I'm trying to finish my dissertation and haven't had much time for games, so I've yet to look into it. How much are they charging for it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:45 pm 

BBF wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

How is that expansion pack? I've been considering it, but right now I'm trying to finish my dissertation and haven't had much time for games, so I've yet to look into it. How much are they charging for it?

I found this.It pretty much sums it up good.
dream with the first downloadable expansion pack to the blockbuster fourth Grand Theft Auto franchise entry. Developed by series creator Rockstar North and set in Liberty City, The Lost and Damned features a new main character and plot that intersects with the storyline of Grand Theft Auto IV. Also in this expansion pack are new missions offering an entirely fresh way to explore Liberty City, new multiplayer modes, weapons and vehicles, and a diverse soundtrack with additional music -- all with the incredible production values that are the trademarks of Grand Theft Auto.
The Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned expansion pack is available as a downloadable product on Xbox Live Arcade or you can purchase it at your nearest retail store.

I like it alot.It makes the game alot better when not playing online, but it costs $20 or $20 in microsoft points so i just bought the code from somebody off of ebay for $10 and they emailed it to me right then and i entered it, but i have seen some going for as cheap as $2 on ebay.The only difference from buying it there and buying it in a store is if you buy it in a store it comes with a poster/map, but that wasn't a big deal to me.I think it would only be to collectors.