Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:41 pm 

I am in a new league this year. Head to head. Basic categories. I just found out that I have the 2nd pick. So, assuming Trout goes first, who should I take?

Post subject: Re: Draft help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:45 am 

McCutchen. His BA is elite, plus his counting-stats production is superb. His SB production has leveled off quite a bit, then so has Trout's. Nonetheless, players who can be counted on to hit .300, with 20 HR, 85 RBI's, 90 R's and 20 SB are very few - Trout, Cutch and that's about it.

From my experience in H2H, starting pitching is very, very important. You will need at least 2 premium starters. H2H managers basically ignore closers, apart from Chapman and Kimbrel, so don't get a closer before round 14 or so, but then make sure to lock up 3 of them.

You will win the saves category that way, while insuring that you get 3 premium SP'ers, and fill your infield. Because BA is such a volatile category, I usually don't obsess over it. Take a look at 2014 stats for BABIP, and find a few guys who hit .250 to .275 but had a low BABIP. Those players tend to even out the next year, and gain quite a few points in BA.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm 

I had Cutch as my pick, but considered Goldschmidt too. I also was told to stay away from injury prone players in head to head. Since I have the second pick, I will have tg e 19th and 22nd picks. Do u think two pitchers there or take one and wait to come back down for the other?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:28 pm 

If its a keepers league? Kris Bryant.. mark my words... if its not.. CUTCH

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:07 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I had Cutch as my pick, but considered Goldschmidt too. I also was told to stay away from injury prone players in head to head. Since I have the second pick, I will have tg e 19th and 22nd picks. Do u think two pitchers there or take one and wait to come back down for the other?

I would get one premium SP'er, and then a MI'er.

Infield goes so quickly ... does your league have MI and CI? Competitive leagues should have both.

If not, then infield is far easier to fill.

1st base is becoming a bit thin. There are four or five premium players, some decent 1st baseman, and then a big drop-off.

Votto is very valuable in H2H with BA because he is a metronome in producing good BA, along with R's, some HR and RBI. He can probably be had in round 4.

I would run the risk of putting off 1st base to round 4 and hope Votto is still there. Get that SP'er (Kluber is a good get), plus an elite MI'er such as Kinsler. I know his HR production is down, but he gives elite R, RBI, good BA, good SB. If he hits 15+ HR's, he is a 5-category MI'er taken in the 3rd freaking round.

A team built on Cutch, Kluber, Kinsler and Votto is one that will compete. Get that 2nd elite SP'er in round 5 - Wainwright, Harvey or Cole would be my get. Then look to 3B. Again, that position gets thin quick - maybe Seager? If you don't get him in 5 or 6, you are looking at Sandoval and banking on him staying healthy.

If you get lucky and snag Wainwright and Seager, then you have the following foundation for your team:

1B Votto
2B Kinsler
3B Seager
OF McCutchen

SP Kluber
SP Wainwright

You have filled those areas where the talent runs dry quick, are solid in BA, HR, R, SB, solid in WHIP, K, ERA.

Damn good start.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 am 

Hey Bucfan. Thanks for the help. I went through about 5 mock drafts and here is what I ended up with:

1. Cutch
2. H.Ramirez or Desmond
3. Strasburg
4. A. Gonzalez
5. Greinke
6. Frazier/Arenado
7. Iwakuma/Shields

What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Hey Bucfan. Thanks for the help. I went through about 5 mock drafts and here is what I ended up with:

1. Cutch
2. H.Ramirez or Desmond
3. Strasburg
4. A. Gonzalez
5. Greinke
6. Frazier/Arenado
7. Iwakuma/Shields

What do you think?

That team will be VERY competitive.

The one concern is Greinke's health. He is working minor league games to get ready for the start of the season. He is likely to start April off with a bit of catching up to do.

I also demand a proven record of health for SPing. I thereby like Shields over Iwakuma, though both are going to be solid contributors. Having a top-3 of Strasburg, Greinke and Shields will give your team very good ERA, WHIP, and K's - things pitchers actually control. The W's will be there when they are there. I don't stress over W's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 pm 

Well, here is what I ended up with. Very similar to the mocks which were based on my personal rankings.

C - Yan Gomes
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - Brian Dozier
SS - Hanley Ramirez
3B - Nolan Arenado
CI - Joey Votto
MI - Daniel Murphy
OF - Andrew McCutchen
OF - Matt Holliday
OF - J.D. Martinez
OF - Ben Revere
OF - Avisail Garcia
UTIL - Brandon Belt
SP - Stephen Strasburg
SP - Zach Greinke
SP - Alex Cobb
SP - Jake Arrieta
SP - Phil Hughes
SP - Mike Fiers
RP - Koji Uehara
RP - Drew Storen
RP - Santiago Casilla
B - Billy Butler
B - Marlon Byrd
B - Steve Pearce

I was surprised I got Dozier. He never fell to me in mocks. Notice I got Gonzalez AND Votto.
Definitely injury concerns with pitchers (Greinke & Cobb). I am already trying to trade one of my outfielders for another starter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 pm 

Bucfan: Would you trade Adrian Gonzalez for Jordan Zimmerman or Cole Hamels with my current team? How bout Matt Holliday for Gerrit Cole or Sonny Gray or Adam Wainwright?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:41 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Bucfan: Would you trade Adrian Gonzalez for Jordan Zimmerman or Cole Hamels with my current team? How bout Matt Holliday for Gerrit Cole or Sonny Gray or Adam Wainwright?

I would definitely deal Holliday. He is in a good lineup, but his production is now 3.5 categories, and dependent on him playing 155 games again - not going to happen.

His BA is likely to be in the .270's, and not above .300 any more. His line drive rate is cratering. His HR production the past 3 years has been 27, 22, and 20. That is a trend.

He is now 35 years old. The chances that he misses 15 games due to injury are very high, IMO. If (when) he misses time, his counting-stat production is going to be something like 18 HR, 70 R, 75 RBI.

Dealing him for Cole, Gray or Wainwright is the way to go. You can simply plug in Marlon Byrd, and get 20 HR, 75 RBI, 70 R's, and a dip in BA. But the uptick in K's, ERA and WHIP with a guy like Gray or Cole is significant. (I am leery of Wainwright, given his offseason elbow surgery and his past history of elbow problems.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:14 pm 

bucco ... in H2H, the categories that drove me crazy were SB's and W's. Very often the difference between winning or losing for the week are 2 SB's or 1 win.

You are smart to try and get a 3rd top-flight SP'er, particularly where Fiers - a good late pick - is having some shoulder issues. (Bucfan thrilled with that ... spent $12 on Fiers in NL-only league. :cry: )

An easy way to upgrade your chances of going 7-3 instead of 6-4 is also upgrading SB. You can do so in the same trade where you get a SP'er, by dealing Holliday and Fiers for Cole or Gray (2 of my favorites for this year) and one of the guy's SB contributors.

Also, since your league has no IP limit, one of your bench guys has to be a SP'er. You will be amazed at how often your starting pitchers start just 1 game that week. For my teams, it seemed that was the situation EVERY week. Meanwhile, your competitor will have 7 or even 8 SP'ers putting up numbers in K's and W's. You counterbalance that by adding at least one more starter and spot-starting the guy in good situations (not at Coors, not against the Pirates* at the team's home field, etc.).

* Yes, the Pirates on the road are a team I do not stream against. They are a huge offensive team away from PNC - 5th highest OPS in baseball at .717, ahead of 12 AL teams that have the DH, and 2nd best in NL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:50 pm 

I offered Holliday for Cole and there were several counters. He tried to give me Cole and Choo for Holliday and Arrieta. I said no. I countered with Cole and Choo for Holliday and Hughes. He said no. Don't think there will be deal for Cole.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:59 am 

bucco boy wrote:
I offered Holliday for Cole and there were several counters. He tried to give me Cole and Choo for Holliday and Arrieta. I said no. I countered with Cole and Choo for Holliday and Hughes. He said no. Don't think there will be deal for Cole.

It's early.

Wait for Cole to have a tough start, or Holliday to put up a 1-15 streak, or better yet, both. If Arrietta manages a good start around the same time, make the same offer again.

He will go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:15 pm 

Got Gray for Holliday. Happy with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

Good get. Also, Arrietta had a great start today, one day after Gray was unhittable.

Your SPing looks solid right now.

You see how SP is so important in H2H, right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Good get. Also, Arrietta had a great start today, one day after Gray was unhittable.

Your SPing looks solid right now.

You see how SP is so important in H2H, right?

Thanks for the advice. I really like the team.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I really like the team.

No problem, but Gomes' injury has to suck. Guy could give some counting stats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:23 am 

I am getting slaughtered in this league after two weeks. Dead last place.

I have a guy who wants Hanley Ramirez.

Would you do this deal?
Ramirez & Danny Duffy for Christian Yelich, Xavier Bogaearts and one of the following Cole, Teheran, Archer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:30 pm 

He came back with this one:

I get Mike Moustakas, Christian Yelich and Natali Feliz for JD Martinez. I don't want Moustaskas. I have no place for him. I am going to ask for Denard Span or Joc Pederson.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:41 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
He came back with this one:

I get Mike Moustakas, Christian Yelich and Natali Feliz for JD Martinez. I don't want Moustaskas. I have no place for him. I am going to ask for Denard Span or Joc Pederson.

Do you need saves? Feliz gives no value unless you are desperate for saves.

I think Yelich and Pederson is a good return. My guess is that your Util position is killing you. Belt and Byrd are awful so far.

What categories are giving you problems?