Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keeper Status - Important
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:14 pm 

I have set up a poll on the Yahoo site for our league, as to how keepers are to be treated. I do so to make clear the policy, and give every manager a chance to express his opinion.

Please, please, please, please, please go to that poll and log your vote. If just 3 or 4 managers vote, I am not sure what I am supposed to do.

Post subject: Re: Keeper Status - Important
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:46 am 

So our keeper vote is tied at 3-3 ... for those who have not voted, please go to league site, find the poll in the message index, and cast your vote.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:12 pm 

I just voted. 5 years total no reset after a trade.

I think there's a major loophole in resetting after trades. This is an extreme example but it's why I don't think we can reset keeper lengths. Say I have Mike Trout going into his 5th keeper season and team B has Cutch going into his 5th keeper season. At the end of the year we're both going to be unable to keep these guys and lose them for nothing. The most beneficial thing for both teams is to then just swap the two and reset both clocks. The side trading Trout for Cutch take a bit of a downgrade but Cutch for 5 years is better than losing Trout for nothing.

The potentially beneficial side of the above could result in more deadline action. If your in the bottom half of the standings those guys are essentially FA but with long term keeper availability to the acquiring team so you could get a nice haul in return, potentially.

However, I think the spirit behind the 5 year thing is to keep really good players from being kept forever and put those exciting names in the draft, resetting keeper years, in my opinion defeats that purpose then.

My ultimate preference would be no restrictions on how long you keep a player. I think some type of value would have to be given to each keeper, adp based or something, to make it work really well. But doing so could create some more interesting keeper selections, right now there's really no incentive to do anything other than keep your best 8 guys. A more value based system could make your 10th/11th best player more valuable than your 7th/8th best based on the cost of keeping them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:23 pm 

beerman wrote:
I just voted. 5 years total no reset after a trade.

I think there's a major loophole in resetting after trades.

Hence, having a vote.

beerman wrote:
My ultimate preference would be no restrictions on how long you keep a player. I think some type of value would have to be given to each keeper, adp based or something, to make it work really well.

Agreed. Giving up draft position for keepers is the preferred method, but the problem we have is that the players have been keepers for multiple years, so we have no idea where the player was drafted.

Relying on Yahoo rankings for draft position is an alternative - except that Yahoo ranking is based on BA, not OBP. The difference in player value is significant for this reason.

Me? I think the best alternative is to limit keepers to five players. That infuses a tremendous amount of talent into the draft.

The problem has always been that 10 keepers skews the talent pool so much. The league's straight draft was meant to address that issue, but just did not work as well as we might expect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 pm 

I am in a football league where your keeper can be retained in place of a draft pick two rounds higher than he was drafted.

For example, if you drafted Jameson Taillon in the 15th round, you can keep him next season for your 13th round pick. The next year he would cost you an 11th. This obviously can be tweaked for baseball.

Granted the draft in football is a lot less rounds and we already have keepers, but I just wanted to throw the concept out there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:28 pm 

I am new to this league, so this may be a horrible idea, but what about this:

No limit on how long you can keep a player; however, we reduce the number of keeper players from 8 to maybe 5. That way, the teams that do well still get to keep their best five players, but that will give us 36 (8-5=3...3*12=36) players that are still very good and will be available in the draft, making them up for grabs for anybody, which makes the league more competitive.

Just an idea, but like I said, you guys have been doing this longer than me so maybe this has already been discussed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:46 am 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
I am new to this league, so this may be a horrible idea, but what about this:

No limit on how long you can keep a player; however, we reduce the number of keeper players from 8 to maybe 5. That way, the teams that do well still get to keep their best five players, but that will give us 36 (8-5=3...3*12=36) players that are still very good and will be available in the draft.

Robbie ... read through this thread.

I think maybe somebody else (*cough* me *cough*) suggested exactly that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:51 am 

haha yah I kind of just skimmed through it. I guess I should have read more thoroughly. I definitely think that would be a good change!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am 

I have no problem with going to 5 and keeping them forever.

The problem was 8 or 10 and being able to keep him forever.

BB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 am 

bucco boy wrote:
I have no problem with going to 5 and keeping them forever.

The problem was 8 or 10 and being able to keep him forever.

BB

100% agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:15 pm 

So did we ever decide whether or not we are officially changing the amount of keepers we will have for next year? Are we keeping 8? Are we reducing it to 5 or 6?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:28 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
So did we ever decide whether or not we are officially changing the amount of keepers we will have for next year? Are we keeping 8? Are we reducing it to 5 or 6?

Back in 2013, we approved a diminishing number of keepers for every season, from 10 to 8 to 6 this year. I did not update the keeper status for the league, so we wound up with 8 keepers instead of the shoulda-been 6.

The league vote concurred on not renewing keeper deadline after trade, and limiting it to 5 keepers, with no time limit.

That means basically every team will need to rebuild every year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:50 am 

So if i understand correctly, because this must be clear to everyone, the keepers for next year will be 6 instead of 8..

Together with the fact that at 5 keepers or 6 keepers they can be hold 4ever , i wonder why we are now checking how long we can still keep them, as
the change will be effected at latest in 2 years or next year..

Also this really will effect on this season as well as players will go all-in for something or not and it will trigger players faster to do a trade this year...

personally , like i said, i am fine, but it has to be known to all ASAP through a post on the league itself

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
TheTimeIsNow wrote:

Back in 2013, we approved a diminishing number of keepers for every season, from 10 to 8 to 6 this year. I did not update the keeper status for the league, so we wound up with 8 keepers instead of the shoulda-been 6.

The league vote concurred on not renewing keeper deadline after trade, and limiting it to 5 keepers, with no time limit.

That means basically every team will need to rebuild every year.

Just to reiterate/clarify -- it's now 5 keepers with no time limit on how long they can be kept?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:57 pm 

I was told by the commish that we are having 6 keepers this season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:58 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
I was told by the commish that we are having 6 keepers this season.

That is true - 6 keepers for 2016, and then 5 for 2017, with no limit on time kept.

I would much prefer having some sort of "keep where drafted" system, but that is simply impossible at this point as it would take me forever to figure who was drafted, when, where, who was a FA, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 pm 

At what point do we set our keepers for next season?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:19 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
At what point do we set our keepers for next season?

That is a looooong way off, Robbie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 pm 

Are we keeping 5 or 6 for this season. I read through the past post and I concluded that we'll have 6 this season and 5 next but not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:09 pm 

johnswahoo wrote:
Are we keeping 5 or 6 for this season. I read through the past post and I concluded that we'll have 6 this season and 5 next but not sure.

This ^^ is correct.