Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2013 Fantasy Season
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:03 am 

BBF is busy with other projects and is unable to dedicate the time necessary to act as commissioner, set up the keeper list, arrange the draft, etc.

I think the league still has enough participants who are active with their teams to continue. I am going to solicit interest for new managers, since we know at least 2 are not going to return, and perhaps 2 more have limited interest.

If we can get 4 new managers who are interested in taking over a team - and we think I can - I believe the league is still viable.

Who has an interest in participating in the 2013 season?

I know so far bucco boy, Dutch, and I are in, and BD is ambivalent but not out. I also suspect that Sub and Dan are in as well.

What say the others?

Post subject: Re: 2013 Fantasy Season
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

You're right, I never would have looked in this thread. Where can I find the league setup?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
You're right, I never would have looked in this thread. Where can I find the league setup?

Its 5x5 roto with OBP instead on batting average. We keep 10 players each season with a 5 year keeper max (I think).

Here is the setup link - http://archive.fantasysports.yahoo.com/mlb/2012/9520

I think you can view it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 pm 

I recommend that if we have multiple new teams we let the new managers draft keepers from the available players rather than make each guy take over a team at random.

At any rate, if we are going to do it we need to get rolling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:49 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I recommend that if we have multiple new teams we let the new managers draft keepers from the available players rather than make each guy take over a team at random.

Agreed.

I suspect we need 4 new managers, perhaps 5. One down, three or four to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I can't view the page.

BUT - I hate Yahoo. HATE. I went back to Yahoo last year, after saying I wouldn't, and it sucked. I hate everything about their site. Basically I'm ESPN only.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I can't view the page.

BUT - I hate Yahoo. HATE. I went back to Yahoo last year, after saying I wouldn't, and it sucked. I hate everything about their site. Basically I'm ESPN only.

Just curious, why? I have found the yahoo interface to be the best out there by a mile. Far better than pay sites like CBS, of course you can't run a deep league with minor leaguers on yahoo or leagues with complicated setups.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm basing it off of their fantasy football interface. I'm assuming that they are similar (like ESPN's, which are basically the same with different words on top of the categories). And their fantasy football interface makes me want to eat live children. Even logging into Yahoo is a pain. It hurts my eyes and I'm barely even sure what's going on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

And I just read the other thread. I like auction leagues better. And I don't plan on benching my entire team at any point in the season. So I'm probably out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm 

I would be interested in joining

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 pm 

I'd be interested in joining if policies were put in place to prevent the six-week empty roster fiasco from last year. Otherwise I'll pass.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 pm 

I'm back in.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 pm 

Willton wrote:
I'd be interested in joining if policies were put in place to prevent the six-week empty roster fiasco from last year. Otherwise I'll pass.

The way to avoid playing for draft position is to implement a snake draft, but league has slot draft system due to concerns about stacking talent on certain teams.

I cannot speak for anybody else. As for my team, I will play my roster. I don't know if the league settings can mandate that outcome, but as noted, my position is now clear.

One way to keep interest may be to increase player moves from 50 max to 75 or something like that. That allows managers to add and drop a hot player for temporary boosts.

The reason for the player move limit, as I understand it, is to prevent streaming. Streaming is an iffy proposition, and I am not sure how to balance the concerns of those who don't like streaming with those who like making a zillion player moves.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 pm 

I don't mind "tanking" to an extent, but we are competing for the 121st best player, field a roster. Its a simple rule and its the main reason I am considering leaving. If Bucfan will agree to that simple rule then we should have no issue getting 12 teams.

I could care less if its a snake of a straight draft. The idea of teh straight draft was to help the bad teams out since they will almost certainly have worse keepers than the top teams.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:27 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

The way to avoid playing for draft position is to implement a snake draft, but league has slot draft system due to concerns about stacking talent on certain teams.

I cannot speak for anybody else. As for my team, I will play my roster. I don't know if the league settings can mandate that outcome, but as noted, my position is now clear.

One way to keep interest may be to increase player moves from 50 max to 75 or something like that. That allows managers to add and drop a hot player for temporary boosts.

The reason for the player move limit, as I understand it, is to prevent streaming. Streaming is an iffy proposition, and I am not sure how to balance the concerns of those who don't like streaming with those who like making a zillion player moves.

I don't mind playing for draft position, but doing so should involve playing bad players, rather than playing zero players. Playing bad players involves releasing better players, which is a risk in keeper leagues. Playing an empty roster involves no risk, and it ruins the experience for other competitors in the league.

Two potential solutions:

(1) Institute a rule requiring a minimum number of roster spots filled per game; or
(2) Institute a minimum number of innings pitched for pitchers and a minimum number of plate appearances for hitters.

Failing to meet any of the above requirements should involve a loss of keepers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm 

1. I don't agree with what Bucfan did. It takes away from the integrity of the game.
2. Bucfan didn't break any rules therefore I am not going to criticize his actions as far as the league is concerned.

A random snake draft is the best solution.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 pm 

Willton wrote:
I don't mind playing for draft position, but doing so should involve playing bad players, rather than playing zero players. Playing bad players involves releasing better players, which is a risk in keeper leagues.

I was just answering your concern.

Also, for team last year, dumping and replacing not an option, since I had used almost all of my available player moves by mid-August to fix my horrible bullpen, add some starting pitching, and try to find some HR's. For that reason, I really did not have the option of releasing guys and replacing them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:43 pm 

Willton wrote:
Two potential solutions:

(1) Institute a rule requiring a minimum number of roster spots filled per game; or
(2) Institute a minimum number of innings pitched for pitchers and a minimum number of plate appearances for hitters.

I don't think Yahoo can track positions filled, and personally, I don't look at anybody's daily line-up but mine.

Also, in Roto, the league has MAXIMUM innings pitched. Are you suggesting some sort of "range" for IP, such as no fewer than 1200 and no more than 1450?

Again, not sure if Yahoo can do that. The league settings are either minimum or maximum. I have not seen league that sets up both.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 pm 

Chris A. indicated that he cannot spend the time necessary to keep team current and is out for 2013.

I think we need a roster of potential managers for the upcoming season. Thus far, I see it this way:

In
Bucfan
Barrys
Substitute
Dutch
Dan
bucco boy
Willton
beerman

Uncertain but possible
Pirate Parrot
Rich

Out
Chris A.
IA Pirate
Poe (I presume, given general lack of interest)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 am 

Just saw this discussion...

I'm out.