Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game report: Indianapolis @ Pawtucket, June 6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:36 am 

Thought I'd show Starling Marte a little love tonight after pronouncing him not ready for prime time on Tuesday. Not that he did anything at all offensively. He's 0-for-8 in this series so far, with 4 strikeouts, and the only ball he has managed to hit out of the infield was a fly to shallow RF in Tuesday's game that was caught.

But he did show off his speed, scoring from first (after a walk) on a double into the RF corner by Jeff Clement. And he gunned down a runner trying to score from 3B on a fly ball to fairly deep CF for a cool 8-to-2, inning-ending double play. I mean, his throw was a laser on one hop to Jose Morales, who did a textbook job blocking the plate. That play couldn't have been any prettier if it had come in Game 7 of the World Series.

I was all set to report that Chase d'Arnaud was the No. 1 star again tonight, but then he badly messed up a forceout that would have ended the third inning and kept Pawtucket off the scoreboard. With runners on first and second, he gloved a one-hopper to SS and threw it away. By the time RF Brandon Boggs tracked it down, two runs had scored and the whole complexion of the game was changed. Too bad, too, because he led off the game with an absolute bomb of a HR over the LF wall and later made a brilliant stop on a ball by Pedro Ciriaco, whirling and throwing him out at 1B -- and Ciriaco is fast.

Other impressions:

-- It's too bad Gorkys Hernandez has no power because he does everything else you want an outfielder to do. He plays excellnt defense, and he had two doubles, an RBI, two walks, and two steals tonight. I never noticed before, but he has one of the most radical open stances in the game. His back foot is on the back line of the batter's box, but his front foot points almost directly at third base.

-- Bryan Morris throws really hard. He pitched 3 innings in relief and struck out 6. The stadium radar gun regularly had him at 94 and several times at 96. Unfortunately, the defense let him down. He got a ground ball to second to open the bottom of the 8th, but Yamaico Navarro let it pop out of his glove for an error. He K'd the next batter, but Morales threw the ball into CF on what should have been a strike 'em out-throw 'em out DP. He induced a grounder to 1B for what would have been the final out, but then gave up a seeing-eye single to RF for the game-winner. He deserved a better fate.

-- Clement was 2-for-4 and could have had a third hit, but Pawtucket's second baseman climbed the proverbial ladder to take away a bullet headed for RCF. He's batting.321 now and IMHO just looks like a professional hitter who has nothing left to prove at AAA.

-- Jeff Karstens was the scheduled starter tonight, but Rick VandenHurk took his place. Karstens now goes Thursday night, apparently.

Post subject: Re: Game report: Indianapolis @ Pawtucket, June 6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:41 am 

Thanks for the report...and you know I agree with you about Clement.

You know, the entire Pirate OF has weak arms...going to be nice seeing Marte throw the ball when he gets here. You think he'd be better in CF than Cutch, based on what you have seen??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am 

Nice to see the progress Morris has made. Thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:53 am 

Animal wrote:
going to be nice seeing Marte throw the ball when he gets here. You think he'd be better in CF than Cutch, based on what you have seen??

Don't know that I can give you a satisfactory answer. Except for maybe twice on TV, I've never seen McCutchen play a full game -- although, of course, there have been plenty of highlight reel plays on MLB.com and the MLB channel. And as for Marte, other than that play I described above, he hasn't exactly been challenged in the two Indy games this week at Pawtucket.

I took my Walkman along so I could listen to the Pawtucket broadcasts of both games. Amusingly, the play-by-play guy said before Marte's throw last night: "High fly ball to centerfield. This should get the tieing run home!" Oops . . .

BTW, Hernandez throws well, too. He went into the LF corner and dug out a double last night and nearly nailed a Pawtucket runner going from first to third.