Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report 5/5/12 - Pirates/Reds
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm 

Well, a great trip to Pittsburgh this weekend, my former hometown. Saturday was beautiful weather-wise so it made the trip to PNC Park even more enjoyable. We parked a Station Square and headed into the shops. My sons got some Pirates hats and I got myself a visor. A little bit cheaper there than the stadium. We then went to the Mon Incline which my kids really loved. Next was dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe Pittsburgh. Good grub. My wife and I actually saw a PA band called the Badlees there once we lived there. It's a nice venue. Next, we headed to the Gateway Clipper and it took us over to PNC Park. We got there and immediately headed to the Maz statue for a picture. Next, we went to the stadium. Reds were taking batting practice and my sons headed to the rail for autographs and souvenir balls from the Pirate Parrot. My youngest came back with a Mat Latos autograph so he was thrilled. Not many players signing and the Pirates that were were on the 3rd base side. Here are the game details.

1. James McDonald was on again. He really had great command on his pitches. I liked the way he was aggressive with his stuff. As you could see from the box score, it was a great outing for him and well-deserved win.

2. My kids were thrilled to see Cutch. They had Cutch shirts and he is their favorite player (along with A.J. which is my oldest son's name). Wasn't thrilled with him getting picked off or his play in center, but I am glad he was on the field.

3. Walker crushed his HR. I knew it was gone and I always love watching the fans above the Clemente Wall try to catch home run balls. It's really cool.

4. I missed the Presley HR (and the Pireogi Race) as I was in line at Primanti's. Really upset with the service. We waited in our line for 1 1/2 innings because they didn't have fries ready. Are you kidding me? It was disgraceful and I am thinking about writing the Pirates a letter as my son was with me and missed the HR and race as well. Even if you had to wait for fries, they could have taken other orders and sold sandwiches (which are made in bulk so there were plenty ready). Bad service.

5. The defense was my favorite part of the game. McGehee's play was excellent and the catch by Tabata even better. I really appreciate good defense at this level.

6. The 9th inning intro for Hammer is something to see. The LED boards are flashing bright colors and the stadium gets electric. My kids (and me) were mesmerized. And it helps he pitched a 1-2-3 to Raise It.

7. Fireworks were good.

8. Ride back to Station Square on the T was really bad. The guy at the station didn't even charge us because it took so long. Don't recommend it on a crowded night.

I will post some pictures when I get my phone hooked up. Very happy with the whole night.

Post subject: Re: Game Report 5/5/12 - Pirates/Reds
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:54 pm 

Great that you could see a Pirates victory.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:56 am 

Sounds like a great time was had by all..... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

Perfect game for you to attend, I'm glad you had a great time! By the way...unless there are pictures, it never happened...