Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game report July 18, 2011 Indians 5, Pirates 1
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:54 am 

This was my first Pirates game since the last time they were in Cleveland five years ago.
I sat in an $8 seat (yes, eight bucks!) but every seat in Progressive Field is a nice seat I have to say.

I was wearing my black Paul Maholm replica jersey and Pirates cap with a yellow bill. During batting practice
talked to an elderly Pittsburgher about the direction the club is going. We agreed that we shouldn't be spend-
ing money on a veteran catcher.

Nice crowd.. over 30,000 for the second consecutive evening. Many came for the post game concert, which
was decent. I enjoyed the set of Donnie Iris & the Cruisers. That guy has some serious pipes!

As for the game itself.. I knew Paul was in for a long night when he walked Grady Sizemore to start the game.
The Tribe employed small ball to get their first run. José Tabata had a less than stellar game in left field. Two
of his throws to home were well offline.

In the second inning Overbay broke the wrong way on the double by Sizemore. The ball was not scorched.
Later in the game he broke the wrong way in the other direction on a Marson single (Lou Marson is Carlos
Carrasco's personal catcher it seems.)

Carrasco could be a star in the making. We couldn't hit his off speed stuff. Mc Cutcheon struck out twice with
runners on base. After five innings of no hits I wondered if I might witness the first no hitter against us in
forty years.

Orlando Cabrera couldn't quite reach a hard hit ball from our new young catcher. Orlando was noticeably upset.
He made up for it later with a homerun to leftfield that I thought for sure was a foul ball. Then later Size-
more stroked what I thought was a homerun. It hit the yellow line, Cutch barely missing it.

By then I knew we wouldn't come back because the Indians' bullpen is very good. I still enjoyed the night..
my wife and kid didn't go because it finally dawned on them they hate sports. I just enjoyed seeing
all the Pirates fans.

A few incidents.. a drunk boy asked to have his photo taken with me. Then four of his friends had to get in
the picture. I was a celebrity? No, they wanted a picture of themselves with the enemy. They didn't know that
I live near them. Ha!

Then later just before the concert (I moved down to the fifth row field level) a pretty blonde who looked
like Laura Dern walked up to me, looked me in the eye, and in a sarcastic but very snotty tone said "Pittsburgh
sucks." She sounded like Laura Dern, too. lol

Walking back to the rendezvous spot where my wife dropped me off, a Tribe fan seemed amused by my Pirates garb.
He had to give me a high five.

I wouldn't give three stars to any Pirate. Jones socked a double, Mc Kendry (two stars) Overbay or Maholm deserve
one star. For the seventh time we scored one run or less for Paul Maholm. I nthink if we go below .500 after
today's game we will not return to .500.

I want to watch Sunday's game on our friends' big screen TV, but I know we will arrive too late. My wife
stays up very late.. I have no doubt we will arrive there after 4 o'clock. I'll miss it. My needs are trivial
to her.

This is me from the top row of Progressive Field!!

Attachments:
Ollie.jpg
Ollie.jpg [ 12.63 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]

Post subject: Re: Game report July 18, 2011 Indians 5, Pirates 1
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:17 am 
 WWW  Profile

Great report Ollie! It would have been nice for you to have witnessed a Buccos win but I'm glad you still had a good time!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am 

Thanks for the report Ollie. f you have to miss the Bucs, you can always listen to the feed of NO.1s start in Oneonta by going to the NYCBL site, link to the scoreboard and link on the ONeonta Outlaws for a streaming feed. No guarantees on the quality though as the quality of previous feeds has been amateurish at best. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 am 

Oops, gametime is 5 pm EDT. :roll: :roll: :roll: