Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report 7-21-10
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:58 am 

Nobody does game reports anymore but I went so I'll make a few points.

In the first inning, Delwyn Young threw what looked like a perfect one-hop strike to the plate in time to nail Weeks, but Doumit totally wiffed on it. Didn't even get a bit of leather on it. Weeks bowled him over and the crowd booed lustily. Doumit got lightheaded and had to leave the game an inning or so later.

Young was charged with an error. Did that at all look fair on TV? Because in real life it should have been on Doumit.

These guys are just raking. Up and down the lineup guys are hitting. 2 more homers for Alvarez. For once a Pirates prospect turns out to be the real deal. It is about time. His second homer hit high up the foul pole. Would have been interesting to see if it would have cleared the grandstand and had a chance to go into the river.

Milledge - aside from his 2 hits, he also smoked 2 balls right at the center fielder.

Alvarez made a throwing error but overall the defense played well. Defense looks harder in real life than it does on TV.

Wolf - I can't believe Macha let him give up 12 runs. The Pirates just kept pummeling him, and there was no hook. I would be pissed if I were him. His ERA just kept climbing as the game went on. It was nice to see. Because he has beaten us a lot over the years.

No BS between these teams. Even after Fielder got plunked they just played the game like gentlemen, which is how I like it..

I got my first foul ball ever. I knew I had a chance because we were sitting on the first base side and with 2 lefties on the mound the foul balls were coming our way. In the first couple innings we sat in our assigned seats where it was crowded. Then later we moved back a bit into an open area where the seats were unsold. I had the rest of my row open to my right. My girlfriend came back from the concessions and went to sit down at the end of the row. I had her move to my left, so I could scoot out if a ball came my way.

Sure enough a few minutes later a ball came just to my right and I was over to move over about 5 steps. It was chest high and coming fast and went right through my hands for an error. But it stayed in my row and I grabbed it. I tossed it to a kid nearby and got a round of applause for that. It was a thrill even though my hands hurt.

I was hoping we could get to 20 or even 21 runs as payback but we had to settle for 15.

Gallagher came out and squashed some watermelons and then it was over.