Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report 6/15: Indy at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:36 pm 

I had been anticipating this game all season when I got the tickets back in April. They were from our law firm so they were three rows behind the third base dugout, right in front of Alvarez.

1. The Scranton stadium is nice, but outdated. The crowd was pretty small. Second level was closed. The weather was perfect. Temperature was nice, not humid and some sunshine. Couldn't ask for much more. It was me and my two boys (who will be 4 and 6 this summer). The older one has started to ask baseball questions which is great.

2. The Indy lineup without Tabata and Walker is pathetic. Almost all lefties, but it is a collection of career minor leaguers and some failed major leaguers (Clement and Moss). This team won't win many games from here on out.

3. The Indians got some seeing-eye hits that found holes, but didn't really hit the ball hard. They grounded into two early double plays despite the early luck.

4. Daniel McCutcheon was excellent. Don't be fooled by his line. He gave up 5 baserunners in 7+ innings. Unfortunately, two were leadoff doubles (one went off the OFs glove and the other the LF got a late jump). His only walk was intentional in the eighth after he gave up the double and then was removed. Brian Bass came in and Pedro saved him an error as he recorded a force out at third on a sacrifice attempt. The next batter blasted a home run over the left wall. Bass got hammered on every ball he threw. The other Cutch got charged two of the runs, but they came on the HR. This Yankee lineup hits pretty well so it was an impressive performance.

5. Now to Pedro. He looked in decent shape. His first at-bat, he hit a routine grounder to second. His second at-bat, he walked, stole second (good jump) and scored on a single by Luke Carlin. He hit a wicked line drive his next time up that the center fielder made a web gem to rob him of at least a single. The guy got a great jump and made a diving play. Grand larceny would be the best description. He struck out in the ninth. He also made a great play in the 8th when Bass threw a ball to him for a force that was hard and low. He almost looked like a first baseman digging a ball out of the dirt but it was a weird angle and tougher play than it should have been. He didn't do much else in the field. I don't think he had a ball actually hit to him.

6. Overall, it was a good game. Pitchers dual. My sons had a blast. They both got balls (one from a fan behind us who caught a foul ball and one by a Yankee at the end of the game.) They also got brought onto the dugout to sing Take Me Out To The Ballgame. (Didn't know the words, but it still was cute.). My oldest got his first autographs. (Juan Miranda and Matt Cusick) It was a nice night overall. Gotta love minor league baseball.

Post subject: Re: Game Report 6/15: Indy at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 pm 

Thanks for the report BB. Sharing the game with your two sons and having fun doing it is really what it's all about.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 am 

Solid report, bucco. Alvarez will do the following almost every game:

(1) Look bad while fanning, and
(2) Blister a line drive with such velocity that fans are concerned that a fielder might get in the way and get hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:42 am 

Sounds like fun. Love minor league ball.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:22 am 

Sounds like you had a great family moment. Good for you and yours.