Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: Bucs vs. Cubs 5/6/10
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:09 am 

This is likely to be a short and sweet game report from me! I know I am usually long winded. Sadly I don't have any pictures.

I didn't see the first half of the 1st inning because I was too busy drinking beer at Rivertowne. If you guys don't know about Rivertowne yet, it's a restaurant between Heinz Field and PNC (near Jerome Bettis 36 Grille). I lived in Monroeville last year and that's where they originated. They brew their own beer which I think is really pretty good. They have a full menu and their food is pretty good. They also offer drink specials, etc.

Once I sat down we started to absolutely pound Wells. Getting guys on base is always good but this was just one hit after another in the early goings. He really didn't even give the Cubs a chance to win the game today. It sure felt nice to be on that side of this type of pounding.

Burres was good tonight. I was thinking about not coming out because he was scheduled, but decided to come out anyways. I was really glad I did. I think he is a guy who knows how to pitch. He doesn't have good stuff but he knows how to get the done (at least marginally) anyhow. Tonight he was much better than that. I hope this is an indication of things to come with him, but I just can't get overly excited about him.

I think we may have rolled out our best lineup tonight. This isn't something I am saying just because we scored a bunch of runs tonight, either. Essentially it's a way to squeeze Clement out (especially against left handed pitching), keep Jones in, work Church's bat in but also keep Church in RF.

Milledge thought he had a grand slam tonight and so did whoever runs the stadium music. They started playing the song they play when someone hits a home run and unfortunately for them and Lastings, he didn't hit a home run. He also had a serious lapse due to this where he was jogging around 2nd base and got caught halfway between 2nd and 3rd. He had a nice hit but he needs to avoid these kind of errors (and I kind of think he's prone to them).

Last edited by NDL on Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: Bucs vs. Cubs 4/6/10
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:36 am 

Pirates have a pretty good record with you in attendance, NDL. Of course, they have a solid 8-4 home record, so no surprise there. What is their record with NDL in the stadium?

(Pirates record with Bucfan in attendance, at Dodger Stadium and Anaheim Stadium, the past 3 years is horrid. Absolutely horrible.)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:32 am 

NDL wrote:
I didn't see the first half of the 1st inning because I was too busy drinking beer at Rivertowne. If you guys don't know about Rivertowne yet, it's a restaurant between Heinz Field and PNC (near Jerome Bettis 36 Grille). I lived in Monroeville last year and that's where they originated. They brew their own beer which I think is really pretty good. They have a full menu and their food is pretty good. They also offer drink specials, etc.

Why no photo of the beer?

NDL wrote:
Milledge thought he had a grand slam tonight and so did whoever runs the stadium music. They started playing the song they play when someone hits a home run and unfortunately for them and Lastings, he didn't hit a home run. He also had a serious lapse due to this where he was jogging around 2nd base and got caught halfway between 2nd and 3rd. He had a nice hit but he needs to avoid these kind of errors (and I kind of think he's prone to them).

So did the guy who ran the fireworks; so did Tim Leverett on the TV; so did I when I saw it jump off his bat. It just caught the top of the wall but man did he hit that ball hard.

I'm going to give Milledge a pass on this one. Given the circumstances, it could have happened to anyone. He said all of the right things afterward. Mentioned something about having to report to the weight room early tomorrow, so some clubhouse justice is at work. I'm just happy to see him hitting the ball hard and knocking in runs.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Yep, disappointed, no photos! ;)

Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 pm 

I am going to write this in another thread, but I am proposing here that later in the season we choose a home game and have a board get-together at Rivertowne for some drinks and food before the game.

I've actually kept all the ticket stubs from the games I have attended as a way to keep track of how many I go to this year. I might keep a spreadsheet if I get some time and ambitious just to see how many I went to, how many I sold back to the Pirates, how many wins, losses, etc. "We have the technology!"

So here is the breakdown from this season so far:

I have been to 9 games. When I am in attendance this season, the Pirates are 7-2. Obviously, these are all home games.

4/5/10: Dodgers, W 11-5
4/7/10: Dodgers, W 4-3
4/8/10: Dodgers, L 10-2
4/16/10: Reds, W 4-3
4/17/10: Reds, W 5-4
4/18/10: Reds, W 5-3
4/21/10: Brewers, L 8-0
5/5/10: Cubs, W 4-2
5/6/10: Cubs, W 11-1

In general, the Pirates have a good record when I am in attendance dating back to 2008. In reality, though, their record was 40-41 at home last year so they weren't bad at PNC. It's when they go away (and you get to see them at Dodger Stadium, then) that they stink.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:37 pm 

My record at the bog airplane hanger is abysmal. It was like 3-19 at one point. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hell, I witnessed the Pirates getting swept at the Royals three years back. DK still talks about that series as the worst he has ever seen.

Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1