Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: Bucs vs. Reds 4/18/10: Bucs Complete the Sweep
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:33 pm 

Time to get out the brooms! There were quite a few people at the ballpark today that actually brought their brooms to help the Bucs complete the sweep, which I thought was pretty cool.

The weather was pretty cold for a ballgame again today and it kept the numbers at the ballpark low. The crowd that was on hand was pretty nice, though. Sunday games are really a lot more family friendly than Friday or Saturday night.

The kids all got Andy LaRoche replica jerseys. I think that's a really great promotion for the kids. The kid who got to play the game where they ask which fact is false about a ballplayer won and then took the box of mystery. Inside was a autographed LaRoche jersey and they were really nice to him and gave him the jacket too. What a great day for him.

As for the game, here are a couple of thoughts:

The first few innings, the name of the game was defense. Neither team did much offensively in the first few innings and the defense was actually spectacular. Milledge had some nice plays and Jones had some nice plays at 1st base. Once again, Cedeno was impressive with the leather. On one play, Cedeno made a great sliding stop and threw it to an out of position Delwyn Young for a 2 out force play at 2nd. We didn't get the out there because Young couldn't keep his foot on the bag but this didn't end up costing us anyway as the side was retired shortly thereafter with no runs coming home.

Paul Maholm finally broke through for the Pirates starters and went deeper into the ballgame. It was good to get a solid 6 innings out of him. For a while there, I thought he might be in line for a shutout at the rate he was retiring batters (with the help of the defense of course) but Jay Bruce hit a home run and ended that discussion. Going deeper into games is going to be something this rotation is going to have to learn. Last year in the beginning of the season they were doing pretty well with that. This year we've hardly gotten any starters out of the 5th inning. We took a good step in that direction today.

Our 5 run inning was pretty methodical. We got guys on base and then we brought them home in various ways without the long ball. It was great to see Jaramillo clear the bases with his double. All in all, guys were hitting the ball pretty hard today and that's usually a good sign for the offense.

I love watching Dotel pitch. He's a very aggressive pitcher which hurts him sometimes (see the HR). I still like the fact that when he's on the mound you know he is going to throw strikes and he also strikes a lot of hitters out. I'm a lot more confident when he comes in to close the game than I ever was when Capps was coming in.

I decided to get a little different look at the ballpark this afternoon, and I took this picture from the rotunda when Donnelly was pitching in the 8th:

I also decided to take a walk home across this monstrosity, and thought I would share the picture:

And, finally, I took this as the boat was coming towards the bridge:

Post subject: Re: Game Report: Bucs vs. Reds 4/18/10: Bucs Complete the Sweep
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:51 pm 

Geez, where are the fans?

Are the Marlins outdrawing us?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm 

Great game report NDL and great pictures too! Thanks very much. It was a great win for the Bucs indeed. Nice to get the sweep and to have a 7-5 record.

Pirate starting pitchers going deep into games keeping the team ahead or close AND a Pirate offense that can score on an average of 5 to 6 runs per game will bring success.

I think Russell has to play Young, JJ, Church, and Crosby more especially when LaRoche, Clement, and Doumit aren't hitting. I wouldn't keep riding those three for long stretches when they are not hitting just because they are considered "the starters". I realize Clement needs to be given a chance to succeed so having more patience with him is important and needed.

Thanks again NDL.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:30 pm 

Keep in mind it didn't even hit 50 degrees today at the ballpark and it was overcast. Also, the Penguins being in a playoff game tonight couldn't have helped attendance any.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:42 pm 

NDL wrote:
I love watching Dotel pitch. He's a very aggressive pitcher which hurts him sometimes (see the HR). I still like the fact that when he's on the mound you know he is going to throw strikes and he also strikes a lot of hitters out. I'm a lot more confident when he comes in to close the game than I ever was when Capps was coming in.

Huge difference between Dotel and Capps. Would liked to have seen a few offspeed pitches when Dotel got ahead in the count (I think he went 0-2 on the first two batters he faced) to maybe get the batter to chase, but I do like the idea of a Pirate's pitcher actually throwing strikes late in games with a decent lead. A novel concept. Refreshing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I love the game report but the pictures are even better. They really show the essence of Pittsburgh and PNC. Thanks a ton! Keep them coming! For those of us that don't live close to Pittsburgh we truly cherish these pictures!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:42 pm 

Argentum wrote:
NDL wrote:

Huge difference between Dotel and Capps. Would liked to have seen a few offspeed pitches when Dotel got ahead in the count (I think he went 0-2 on the first two batters he faced) to maybe get the batter to chase, but I do like the idea of a Pirate's pitcher actually throwing strikes late in games with a decent lead. A novel concept. Refreshing.

Actually, the homerun to Bruce came on an offspeed pitch when he was ahead in the count, he just hung it. He was really locating the fastball well, outside corner at the knees consistently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:56 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

Huddled around their fireplaces at home. Not a good day for baseball here today.

I wish that somebody who isn't quite as lazy as I am would keep track of what percentage of first games of homestands are rainy this year. Seems to me that the surest way to guarantee rain is to bring the Bucs back from a road trip.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:30 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

Even with today's game, attendence is up 15% over last year (22K+ per game compared to 20 and change last year). Not bad for a team that many, including Pittsburgh sports guru and God, Bob Smizik said was going to be the worst in over 50 years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Argentum wrote:
NDL wrote:

Actually, the homerun to Bruce came on an offspeed pitch when he was ahead in the count, he just hung it. He was really locating the fastball well, outside corner at the knees consistently.

Should have done a better job of explaining, I meant an offspeed pitch well outside of the strike zone, like maybe his slider.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:21 pm 

Great report and great pictures...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 pm 

I wasn't trying to be negative guy when I asked where the fans were. I was genuinely surprised by the pic, but I didn't realize the weather was so bad there.

I too would like to say thanks for posting pics and the report. I'm a lifelong Bucs fan in Tennessee and I think I might finally make the trek to PNC this season. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm 

When you get here you won't be disappointed.

And yes, the weather has been terrible for baseball the few days. The temperature today was never above 50 degrees. You could see your breath at all times during the game last night and today. The sun didn't come out today, either, as the skies were overcast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 am 

Nice report, NDL. Enjoy the report and photos very much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 am 

VanSlick wrote:

No, but thanks for playing:

MLB Home Attendance Ranking (Source ESPN)
Rank Team Games Total Avg.
24 Pittsburgh 5 119,391 23,878
25 Kansas City 6 139,371 23,228
26 Baltimore 6 125,646 20,941
27 Florida 7 132,834 18,976
28 Toronto 6 111,808 18,634
29 Cleveland 5 85,636 17,127
30 Oakland 7 116,113 16,587

We probably would have move up the ranking but for the really crappy weather over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 am 
 WWW  Profile

Oakland really needs a new stadium. That team should be drawing more than it does.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:42 pm 

Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

No, but thanks for playing:

MLB Home Attendance Ranking (Source ESPN)
Rank Team Games Total Avg.
24 Pittsburgh 5 119,391 23,878
25 Kansas City 6 139,371 23,228
26 Baltimore 6 125,646 20,941
27 Florida 7 132,834 18,976
28 Toronto 6 111,808 18,634
29 Cleveland 5 85,636 17,127
30 Oakland 7 116,113 16,587

We probably would have move up the ranking but for the really crappy weather over the weekend.

The weather and then add the Friday and Sunday Penguin games with Fridays being a home game...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...