Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: Bucs vs. Dodgers, 4/8/10
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:30 pm 

So I skipped my class today and decided to head out to the ballpark for the rubber match between the Bucs and Dodgers. I'll kind of break this report down into positives and negatives.

Positives

I didn't go to school. You really can't ever call that a negative. I guess it could negatively affect my grades this semester but in terms of sheer enjoyment I made a good decision.

The weather held out longer than I thought it would. The forecast was calling for showers as early as 11 or 12 but it really didn't rain until around 2 o'clock. That made the first few hours of the game a lot more enjoyable.

The small crowd meant getting around was a lot easier than it has been the other two nights. There was no need to stand in line for an hour for hotdogs or beer today. Since the beer costs $7-8 I didn't have the pleasure of drinking any during the game today, though.

I won the grand prize from Songwhale because I guessed Oliver Onion to win the great pierogi race and then I guess they drew my number from the tiny crowd as the grand prize winner. The prize was two LF or RF grandstand tickets to the game on Saturday, September 25th featuring O.A.R. in concert. Since I already have season tickets in the LF grandstand I guess I will offer these to my brother and his girlfriend. I can't say I never won anything at PNC now :).

In terms of the game itself, there weren't a whole hell of a lot of positives happening out on the field. Delwyn Young had a pretty good day at the dish. Crosby looked alright at the plate as well but we already know not to expect really big things from him. The theme of patience at the plate continued today. LaRoache's patience didn't pay off, though, as he struck out looking at a pitch that was right there in a pivotal point in the game. With runners on base he needs to be more aggressive in that situation.

Another thing that we already know is that McCutchen has great range in CF. I really like the way he plays the position and I love the range he has in CF. When he says a ball hit over his head better be a homerun or else he is going to get to it, I pretty much believe him. A guy like this in CF can do great things for this club and I'm really excited as I know everyone else is to see what his future holds with this team.

Negatives

The temperature dropped a lot during the game. There was a small crowd due to people probably being scared about the rain to begin with. Then the rain came and chased everybody (including myself) away.

I accidentally put in a ripped contact this morning. For some reason, it didn't start to irritate me until I got into the ballpark but it put a real damper on this rainy day (pun intended). Unfortunately, it made my vision worse than it would have been had I not even had a contact in.

As far as the game itself goes, there were plenty of negatives to go around. The first was Ryan Church's defense. I could have framed this as a positive, though, because what I really thought about when I watched Church in LF was how badly I missed seeing Milledge out there. I wrote last night about Milledge's hustle and good defensive play. Today, with Church out there, the team (especially Maholm) missed Milledge. The positive is that Milledge has silently become one of the most important Pirates in my opinion. We all know if he hits anywhere close to his projected ceiling he will be a great pickup for us but I'm not sure I realized how important it is to have him out on the field until today.

Crosby had two throwing errors. I don't expect that to continue from him. One of them was just a mental mistake because he threw a ball in the dirt to Maholm when there was no shot he was going to get the runner out. He also shouldn't expect that Maholm is going to dig the ball out of the dirt like an experienced 1st baseman would. The result was that the ball wound up in the stands and the runner he had no shot of getting out at 1st advanced to scoring position automatically at 2nd.

Garrett Jones looked awful playing 1st base. In the first game of the series, Clement didn't do anything that made me thing he didn't belong playing 1st base in the MLB. Yesterday he didn't play awful but he had a couple situations where you could tell he was inexperienced. Jones came in today and just looked awful. He looked exactly like a guy who didn't play any 1st base in spring training (which he was). Hopefully we don't have to use him much at 1st base this year because that means Clement is really hanging in there. If we do, though, I expect a lot better from him.

I didn't like the wholesale changes in the lineup today. I know we have 6 road games coming up, making it 8 days in a row with a game, however, I would have preferred to see at least Milledge and Clement out there. Clement is still learning to play 1st base and I think he needs all the work he can get both fielding and at the plate. Milledge is too important to be giving him off days after only playing 2 games. I didn't mind throwing Crosby in there but when you have Young in RF for Jones and Jones at 1st for Clement and Church starting in LF for Milledge it makes it really tough to win. It's really far from our best lineup (especially in terms of the defensive alignment).

Hayden Penn.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: Bucs vs. Dodgers, 4/8/10
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the report. How was Penn's 'stache in person? Was it as ragged as his pitching?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

NDL wrote:
I accidentally put in a ripped contact this morning. For some reason, it didn't start to irritate me until I got into the ballpark but it put a real damper on this rainy day (pun intended). Unfortunately, it made my vision worse than it would have been had I not even had a contact in.

Worst...feeling...ever. To top it off you didn't see much of a game! :cry:

I appreciate your game report once again. Hopefully I make it to Pittsburgh this season!

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:53 pm 

Even though Maholm gave up 4 ER's (in 6 IP), I really feel like Penn should be charged the loss. Absurd to say, I know, but Penn was awful.

At least you won something!

And Delwyn looked decent, so there's always that, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:58 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Thanks for the report. How was Penn's 'stache in person? Was it as ragged as his pitching?

I don't know if that's possible. Come on Joel Hanrahan!