Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Game Report: Bucs vs. Dodgers, 4/7/10
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their Game Reports. This is what makes this board special.

I had a chance to go to the Curve Opener tonight but I'm going to be a pansy and stay home...Thunder storms, high wind and turning to snow later in the evening...I'll wait a few weeks...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 am 

Here is a screen capture courtesy of northsidenotch's twitter feed. Hell is getting colder.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 am 

burghermeister wrote:
    I know it works sometimes, but I have a strong distaste for pinch hitters who swing at the first pitch. Delwyn Young, your ears should be burning.

When I was young ... youngER, I mean, "baseball people" used to say that a pinch hitter should swing at the first fast ball he likes, since he has not had a chance to guage the break on the breaking ball. Okay. Not a foolproof idea, but maybe for some pinch hitting appearances, particularly where the idea is just to get the ball out of the infield.

However, Young was hitting with two outs, bases loaded. The first pitch from Weaver was a breaking ball - probably a slider - at or a little below the knees, on the outer egde of the plate. It was the type of pitch you fight off with two strikes.

Not a pitch to be hacking at under those circumstances.

burghermeister wrote:
    Give credit to Cedeno. I thought when he went down 0-2 that he had no shot, but he fought back, fouled off an number of pitches until he got one that he could get some wood on.

No doubt. Very dubious of a good result when he fell behind 0-2, but he layed off two breaking pitches in the dirt, worked the count to 2-2, fouled off a couple, and then basically worked the pitcher into throwing a fastball. Base hit, game over.

Very cool experience getting the free tickets and the free eats. Karma reward for deciding to go to the game, perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:29 am 

nad69dan wrote:
I had a chance to go to the Curve Opener tonight but I'm going to be a pansy and stay home...Thunder storms, high wind and turning to snow later in the evening...I'll wait a few weeks...

Dan ... breaking the wrestler code: "We do not feel pain; we inflict it." Man up and go to the game. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:49 am 

Great game report, NDL.

I share your concerns about Clement. Maybe the Pirates can bring up Pearce to platoon with him against lefties, though that promotion may result in losing Raynor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 am 

burghermeister wrote:
    I know it works sometimes, but I have a strong distaste for pinch hitters who swing at the first pitch. Delwyn Young, your ears should be burning.

Especially when the bases are loaded! :x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Dan ... breaking the wrestler code: "We do not feel pain; we inflict it." Man up and go to the game. :D

Hahaha...Normally I would have, but I cant afford to get sick, I dont sing well to begin with and a sore throat from sitting in the rain would just cause me headaches this weekend...

Now if House of Poe were still there, I'd have sneaked my way into the booth to stay warm and dry...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:56 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Very cool experience getting the free tickets and the free eats. Karma reward for deciding to go to the game, perhaps?

Karma is your next day's starting pitcher. Or, something like that...

Seriously, it was a cool experience. It's always nice when one encounters "kindness from strangers". The experience definitely made an impression on my 10 year old as well.