Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: March 11, 2010
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:35 pm 

Two Rays fans coworkers and I decide to do some "enabling" down at McKechnie today. As usual, it was great to be back at the spring home for the first time in 2010 as we witnessed a game with a football-esque final score. Some thoughts:

1. When I woke up this morning, it looked unlikely the game would be played. Severe thunderstorms were in the forecast. It rained for about five minutes on the way to the ballpark, but the game was dry, overcast and windy.

2. I was not impressed with Hart today. He had poor control in the 2nd, allowing a few walks and getting hit well. I would have to think that he might not make the rotation, at least to start the season.

3. Just as I was telling my coworkers how Cedeno has no bat, he goes out and proves me wrong and hits a homer. Then again, today's game was like a home run derby. There were so many homers today on both sides as the wind was blowing in all directions.

4. The only two players to play all game were Clement and Raynor. Most of the other regulars were pulled in the middle innings.

5. Speaking of Clement, he showed great patience at the plate today. He had two walks and a nicely hit double. I am cautiously optimistic about him.

6. Tabata had a nice triple today, however his play in the field concerned me. Maybe the wind contributed a tad to it (or maybe not), but his error turned a single into an inside the park homer and a few minutes later he badly misplayed a ball in the outfield. He will need to work on the fielding before he makes it to Pittsburgh.

7. Lastings Milledge had a nice day at the plate. He showed some hustle. I feel that he has finally grown up or maybe he feels at home, literally, as he grew up across the bridge from Bradenton in Palmetto.

8. Ryan Doumit showed a lack of hustle on a ball hit to the infield. If he had tried running a tad quicker, he would have easily been safe.

9. Karstens showed a lack of control as well today and "earned" his loss.

10. Gorkys Hernandez made a late inning appearance today and responded with a hit. I saw way too small of a sample size on him today to make any real observations.

11. Neil Walker's 2-2 performance went largely unnoticed. I feel that he has no real future with this team anymore.

12. There were lots of Rays fans in the park today. The crowd was probably 50/50 Rays/Buccos fans.

13. I sat about 10 rows behind Neal Huntington today. I did not see any other Pirates brass in the yard.

14. The seagulls made their usual appearance in the first base bleachers in the late innings.

15. During the Tampa Bay rally in the 7th, it appeared that the scorer credited an extra run. I never saw the run score and neither did one of my buddies. I think we may have been robbed by the partisan scorer :shock:

16. The new public address announcer at the ballpark sounds just like the announcer at PNC Park, whose name escapes me at this moment.

That's all I can think of for now. Next game report will be Sunday versus the Yankees in Bradenton.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: March 11, 2010
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:36 pm 

Greaet report...Thanks for enabling

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 am 

Thanks PoP. Great report as usual.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 pm 

Good report. Difficult to explain how Hart can deal strikes in the first inning, get a 5-0 lead, and immediately proceed to lose control completely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:08 pm 

Thanks for the report PoP. Very good as usual. And to celebrate the first ST report and the seagulls......here we go....:)

Maybe we should have whoever doesn't come North as part of the 25 man squad sit in the 1B Bleachers with the seagulls. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:09 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Difficult to explain how Hart can deal strikes in the first inning, get a 5-0 lead, and immediately proceed to lose control completely.

I can say from personal experience, it is hard to understand but it does happen. If I knew the answer to that one...............................................................???????????????

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:16 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I can say from personal experience, it is hard to understand but it does happen. If I knew the answer to that one.............

You would make a lot of money as a pitching coach.