Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gorzelanny and Milledge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:26 pm 

I pulled up Neil's stats from Indy this year...I wonder if it's time for him to give up the switch hitting, and stick to hitting lefty?

He's getting killed against lefties... .186 in 70 AB's, 1 HR, .269 on base%, .329 slug%

Righties is alot better, still room for improvement... .260 in 123 AB's, 6 HR's, .321 on base%, .488 slug%

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Gorzelanny and Milledge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:44 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Milledge was caught stealing. Great throw by the C? Bad jump?

Interesting that you should note that, Bucfan. Indianapolis runners tried repeatedly to steal because the Pawtucket starter was a knuckleballer whose pitches were being clocked on the radar gun at less than 70 mph. In the top of the third, Bixler was gunned down by the catcher after drawing a walk. Next batter up: Milledge. He was plunked with a pitch and right away tried to steal second. Same result. This happened in the space of no more than four pitches. In Bixler's case, I give credit to the catcher. In Milledge's case, it looked to me as though he got a bad jump.

Bixler did pull off a steal after walking to open the game and was on base when Walker hit into a DP.

BTW, the best-looking pitcher in the game was the second Indy reliever, Juan Mateo. He threw a scoreless eighth (although he hit one batter) and was getting his fastball up there at 97 mph. I looked him up, and he has some MLB service time, but apparently the Cubs saw him as the Dominican equivalent of Craig Hansen and gave up on him. He's still only 26, although I see he's not on the 40-man roster, so he may be doomed to spend the rest of his career in the minor leagues. Reminds me somewhat of Jesus Colome, whom I saw hit 100 mph on a couple of occasions when he was with Tampa Bay. Only problem was, the fastball was his only good pitch and he had a lot of trouble locating it.