Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report -- 5/28/2008
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:55 am 

I went down again tonight for Game 2 of this Pirates-Reds series at Great American Ballpark tonight. Same seats, MUCH nicer weather. Almost perfect to go out for an evening ballgame. Was hoping for better results than last night, but they ended up being worse. Oh well. And my camera is not working right so I could not provide pics.

- Announced crowd of 15,000 tonight in Cincinnati. I thought it was a lot more than last night which was announced as 17,000, but oh well. A lot more Bucs fans in the house tonight, God bless our souls.

- Can't even begin to comment on how awful Gorzo is. It's just sad. Not only does he have control problems but he is giving up hits equally as much. Just terrible. First time all season, and a while in general, that I've seen any team pull the SP in the top of the 1st. To cap it all off, he gives up the 1st HR of the year of DAVID F'ING ROSS. Just God-awful.

- If there was to be one MVP for the Pirate tonight, it is Franquelis Osoria. He ...

A. Did a fine job coming in to relieve Gorzo, and looked comfortable doing it. He had been pitching better in relief lately, but I admit, I was expecting it to get even uglier than the 6-0 deficit we were pinned down to after Gorzo. Can't complain about his job, he pitched a solid 4 innings with 4 strike outs, one right after coming in and K'ing his first batter on 3 pitches followed by a 1-2-3 inning.

II. Had our lone RBI of the game on a nice hustle on an infield hit. Funny stat, I caught that he was actually batting something like .667 after the hit.

3. Made a nice heads-up play to tag out a runner trying to steal home on a wild pitch, which of course was equally assisted by Paulino.

- 3 hits tonight by the Bucs (one being by a pitcher), woo hoo. Bronson Arroyo has stepped up his game lately, but is still having a poor year and it was highly disappointing to see our bats silenced after the hot streak they had been on, but we were due, and might as well get it out of the way in this ugly series now instead of getting 14 again in a losing effort.

- On the note of hitting, the Freddy Sanchez lead-off experiment needs to end soon, although, that does not mean I have any idea who to replace him with(you could always go back to Nate) or if he will improve anywhere else in the order - he continues to look lost at the plate.

- I was so bored by the time it was 7-1 that I walked around the ballpark, ran into a few more Pirates fans, and stopped by the Pirates bullpen to watch Burnett and Yates warm up.

I highly advise doing this when you attend that is already out of hand to this degree, because at least when they're warming up in the bullpen there is no one imaginary there hitting them into the outfield.

- Burnett and Salas came in to pitch an inning of relief each tonight. Combined they gave up three hits, allowed three walks and let in two more runs. The BB's are what kill me. The amount of balls this team throws is just pathetic. As if the starters didn't have their own control problems, Salas and Burnett can barely throw a strike either. Those two collectively have now a respectable ERA of 15.10.

- There is absolutely no excuse for the Pirates not being able to manage a single hit off of the likes of Mike Lincoln, David Weathers, and Bill Bray.

- On the way home, I had the radio on 700 WLW and they are already 100 % sure that the Reds will complete the sweep tomorrow, as it is ace Harang vs. former awful Red Phil Dumatrait. As I was refreshed by Reds fans tonight, Dumatrait had something like a 15 ERA giving up about 6 HRs in a couple of starts for the Reds, at GABP. Joy.

- Magic number tonight: 6.08 -- that is the average ERA of the Pirates pitchers who pitched in tonight's game, that number generously down due to the one inning pitched by Yates who is still maintaining an ERA in the 3's, the only of the bunch.

That's about all I got. Ugly, ugly game that I had the pleasure of viewing first hand, wearing the Pirates jersey and hat proudly through it all. 3 hits and you have to have a pitching change in the top of the 1st. First two times I've got to see this team in person this year, and two I can't wait to forget. Fortunately, I have prior engagements tomorrow so I won't get to see us avoid the sweep after a dominating performance by Dumatrait against his old club and the Aaron Harang get shelled. :roll:

While we will likely be 5 games under .500 after tomorrow night (of course I do hope they prove me wrong), I am still looking forward to the series against St. Louis. As bad as they have seemed until now, special things are happening in Cincinnati and mark my words, I would be surprised if they're not contending with the Cubs within a month or so.

Post subject: Re: Game Report -- 5/28/2008
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:38 am 

Shark, thank you for taking the time to recount what must have been an excruciating night.

I was particularly glad to see your discussion of Burnett. Some of us could hardly wait for him to be called up. And now that he is here, we wonder why. He's just one more disappointment -- the weakest link in the bullpen, if you ask me. I have no confidence when he's on the mound, although, in fairness, that's usually when the game is out of hand.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:38 am 

Excellent report Shark. Thanks

TheShark wrote:
I - On the note of hitting, the Freddy Sanchez lead-off experiment needs to end soon, although, that does not mean I have any idea who to replace him with(you could always go back to Nate) or if he will improve anywhere else in the order - he continues to look lost at the plate.

As has already been mentioned, Freddy swings at pitches in the dirt. A decent cureball that travels 59'6" gets him everytime. As does a slider down and off the plate 10 feet. He's continually behind in the count. When Doumit gets back maybe the solution is to move Mclouth back to leadoff, followed by Wilson, Bay, Doumit, Nady,............Sanchez. At least until he gets his head on straight.

TheShark wrote:
The BB's are what kill me. The amount of balls this team throws is just pathetic. As if the starters didn't have their own control problems, Salas and Burnett can barely throw a strike either. Those two collectively have now a respectable ERA of 15.10.

The Pirates rank 26th out of 30 in number of strikeouts but have managed to balance this out by being third highest in walks. That translates into a league worst 5.12 ERA. Can the starters get much worse? (rhetorical)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:00 am 

The Pirates are giving up the most runs per game in the majors. Their ERA is worst in the majors, and they have the fewest strikeouts of any NL team, ane the most walks of any NL team.

I don't know who would replace him, but it's time to start thinking about getting Gorzellany out of the rotation.

Our hopes for a decent season are pretty much down the drain. It's time to start thinking about the future.

And it is past time to get Sanchez out of the leadoff spot. He is just not getting it done. He hits a ton of fly balls down the right field line. He needs to figure out how to use the whole field as he has done in the past. I would move him to eighth right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:23 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Shark, thank you for taking the time to recount what must have been an excruciating night.

Oh, that it was, but, I promised another GR after last night, so I couldn't let down all my fans. :lol: