Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report -- May 27, 2008
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:48 am 

TheShark went down to Great American Ballpark tonight to see the Pirates live for the first time this season. Had planned on going to a couple of games this series since the schedule was announced, as it was the first time the Bucs came to Cincy, got bleacher tix with a couple of friends. The weather sucked and for the first time in a while here it was really chilly and there was slight rain on and off all night. Anyway, we'll start with the positive and end with the negative (or as much so can fit into one post).

- I would estimate about 15 K at the game tonight, which is pretty typical of a weeknight game in Cincinnati. At least a couple more thousand ended up showing up for the big buzz around Jay Bruce's first big league game, which has been the talk of town today, obviously well deserved. I saw approximately 4 other Pirates fans beside myself at the ballpark tonight, which is down about 5 than what I normally see at games attended here.

- It is delightful to have Jack back. 3 hits and a great play on the lone DP of the night, one that Bixer or Rivas could only dream of making. I know it's not probable that the hits will keep up like this, but defensively and as a whole, the presence was felt that a much-needed spot on the roster was filled tonight.

- Bay and Nady continued to light up the bats. Though HR-less for the first time in a while, each had a couple of nice hits after very patient ABs.

- Basically, the Pirates slowly but surely began to give this game away after a very positive 3-0 start.

- If there's one thing the Pirates have done this year that has made me proud, it is fighting back into games, even if it's too little to late, hence this case. From tonight's 3-run 9th to battling back to win the Chicago series, ect ect, I would say the team has made it interesting more times than they have rolled over (I know this probably isn't entirely true, but it has payed off big sometimes).

- Stupid play of the night was provided by Ron Paul who tried for two bags after a single bounced off the wall right into Griffey Jr's glove, who obviously still has the throwing arm to nail a baserunner of his ... stature. Granted, he was able to score a run out of that play and went deep for the first time this year in the 9th, but much like Jack was desperately needed at short thus far, this team needs Doumit, or at least the tandem method back.

- Not at all impressed with Snell. Started out control problems, showed signs of settling down, then went back to the control problems in a very big way. In a moment very reminiscent of Paul Maholm vs. Billy Crystal, he looked afraid to throw anything close to the strike zone during Bruce's first big league AB, which resulted in a 4-0 BB.

- I witnessed two things that have RARELY happened with the Bucs this year. Really bad outings by Nate McLouth and the bullpen. McLouth was the only Pirate not with a hit and had two very bad K's. The limited bullpen, well ... followed in Snell's footsteps. Marte who had been just a BEAST before tonight, came in and gave up hits for runs. Salas was thrown into the fire again and although he gave up hits/BBs/runs like the others, I still feel he could be a decent relief pitcher in the future. But hey, Burnett found better success tonight!

- Jay Bruce can thank the Pirates for a very memorable MLB debut. 3-3, 2 walks and 2 RBI's. The kid looked ready to be in the big leagues and proved why he is hitting in the .360's in AAA with Lousiville, and the way the crowd gave him the "Bruuuuuuuce" treatment when he came up is very reminiscent of when Aaron "Boooooooone" played for the Regs. Just a little observation. Alas, the atmosphere was great for the small crowd everytime Bruce came to bat, and everyone (well, excluding the couple of us who went wearing black and gold) left with a fuzzy feeling that hasn't occurred in this city in some time. A bold early prediction but this could very well be a game I can be glad I say I attended with the debut.

- Though Bruce will be getting the spotlight, it was Adam Dunn who got the ball rolling for the Reds with his 3-run blast off of Snell, who is red hot right now and is tearing up every pitcher is facing including Indians and Padres. Hopefully the Bucs can just contain it now instead of him pulling off a "Soriano" this series. Though, he can indeed borrow a tip from him when it comes to fielding.

- I hate Adam Dunn.

And that's about all I got. A winnable game for the Bucs tonight, the bats were there, the pitching was lost. Don't know if I've ever seen that many balls (as in, not strikes) thrown at a game before thrown by one team, which made the results look pretty pathetic. I will be back tomorrow night and will post another GR, and will hopefully remember the camera this time to provide some pics.

Post subject: Re: Game Report -- May 27, 2008
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:32 am 

Good game report, Shark. Your observations are spot on with what I saw, before moving on to something else after the bottom of the 7th.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:46 am 

Nice report Shark. I don't fault Paulino for getting thrown out at second. Griffey made an absolutely perfect throw to get him.

McLouth was definitely off last night. He took a lot of very hittable pitches for strikes, and when he did swing, he missed. Not like him at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am 

Thanks, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:34 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Nice report Shark. I don't fault Paulino for getting thrown out at second. Griffey made an absolutely perfect throw to get him.

I'm probably being too hard on Paulino. It was a close play, and as I said, he knocked in the run which was more than enough, it was just frustrating to watch live when, where the ball went, if anyone in the league is going to make that throw, Griffey is fully capable of it.