Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PNC Opener Redux...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I am confused. I’m not sure what to think. I am certainly not used to this. I have watched souvenir bats come flying onto the field as Carlos Garcia led a precession of infield errors in the 1st inning. I stood in a torrent of cold rain waiting on a start with Atlanta that never came. I watched in disgust as Bixler froze a third with the winning run. I’ve watched names like Sprague, Allensworth, Young, and Simon leave winning runs on the base, or simply run themselves out of a win.

But, I do NOT remember an opening day win at TRS or PNC. They say there were 2 in the last 15 years before yesterday, but I simply don’t remember them.

I don’t drink that much…

For posterities’ sake and in the “old” board format, and ignoring the already fastidiously-discussed Zack Duke:

• Sanchez can plain hit. When he is healthy, he can make his bat hit the ball from any angle, any speed, any time. To that end, I would like to switch Freddy and Nate for a bit. I know JR likes the whole LR thing, but I like having a hot Nyger followed by an OBP machine like Nate. That gives “Free -swing’n Freddy” and the following, a better chance to drive in a run.
    • Jack is incredibly smooth at SS. I watched a good SS in Tejada try, and fail, to make plays that Jack makes routinely.
    • Moss is getting good swings. His single could easily have been a double or HR. A couple of his outs were 5 feet from being a HR. This guy could be more than a 4th. RF at PNC is small and cozy enough for his range, and he has a canon of an arm.
    • Houston looks like the Bucs, circa 2004. Only a couple of players left with talent. Nothing young and exciting and apparently still thinking they are a UFA or trade deadline away from a run.
    • Losing has become permanent to some fans. Baseball jerseys observed yesterday with the usual Bay, or Duke, or Kendall replaced by “Below 500”, and “PBC, Losing since ‘92”. Kinda fun in a sick way.

Post subject: Re: PNC Opener Redux...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:10 pm 

I agree Moss looks good. He is wacking the ball pretty solidly.

And I agree that Houston looks bad. They look to be very thin on talent right now, plus they are old, so they are a couple of injuries away from being disastrously thin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:43 pm 

Meantime, where are the game reports from all the attendees?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:23 pm 

Here's a picture snapped from my perch in section 220. The usher in the foreground was a real pain in the a$$ as well. It seemed every person who required his services sat in our row. Up and down for the first few innings. My nachos got cold and my water got warm!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Meantime, where are the game reports from all the attendees?

Well my trip was part business, part pleasure. I didn't spend all of my time following the game for fear of being labeled rude by my business companion, but I do have a few tid bits to share.

* The Astros pitchers were throwing meatballs all day long. Every Pirate who batted got a hit. Not much difference between their fastballs and off-speed pitches. Which leads me to......

* Adam LaRoche. Was as happy as the next person to see him have a big day. BUUUT either the Astro pitchers lacked the ability or lacked a scouting report to deal with him effectively. No biting curves low and inside/outside. You know, the kind that send him back to the dugout shaking his head in bewilderment this time of year. He, like everyone else, got batting practice balls. Not ready to say he's officially over the hump.

* Wilson is a phenomenal defensive SS. As ZM pointed out, it is a treat to watch. He's still a free swinger though and those dinks and dunks for hits he has been getting are sure to disappear soon. I suspect he'll be back to 250/300/350 soon enough.

* Freddy is the opposite of Wilson. Balls are flying off of his bat with authority. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .315 with a little more doubles pop now that he's healthy.

* Vazquez sucks as long as he's taking ABs away from the younger LaRoche. I don't think Andy needs less at bats to get out of his funk, quite the contrary. Play him JR!

* Doumit's HR was music to my ears, literally. I had my head turned and was talking to my friend when I heard a loud, solid crack of the bat. I knew instantly it was trouble for Houston. That thing got out of there in a hurry.

* I worry that Moss will get pull happy with that short right field fence beckoning him. He had that propensity in the minors.

* I love watching McLouth leg out grounders even though they are easy outs. He's a solid gamer.