Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: March 15, 2009
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:04 am 

My folks and I made the drive down to Port Charlotte to catch the Bucs and the defending AL Champs in today's ballgame Some thoughts and observations:

1. Gorzo pitched a good first two innings but fell apart in the third. He didn't give up any monster hits, just a bunch of singles in a row.

2. Karstens made a solid bid for a rotation spot with his work today. He looked far more crisp than Gorzo.

3. Burnett looked awful today. His performance resembled that of Hansen yesterday. It seemed that he couldn't get anybody out. Also, similar to Hansen, I believe Burnett is out of options. If he continues to pitch like this, I doubt he will make the Opening Day roster, yet I doubt that anyone will pick him up.

4. Evan Meek pitched a scoreless inning versus his former mates. I wonder if he will make the bullpen out of Spring Training this season.

5. The only regular from last season in the lineup today was Adam LaRoche, who was his usual unspectacular self.

6. The other LaRoche hit a nice dinger in the game today, but was pulled in the later innings for Neil Walker.

7. The only Rays regulars who started the game today were Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena and Pat Burrell.

8. The one upside to not seeing the regulars today was that I got an extended look at Jose Tabata and Andrew McCutchen who each played the whole game. Jose Tabata had two solid hits and some nice glovework in the field. He also threw out Carl Crawford at home. Even though the throw was offline, the speedy Crawford was out by a mile. McCutchen didn't disappoint either, making a diving catch early in the game and hitting a triple in the 8th. I can only hope that the two of them are in Pittsburgh soon.

9. Speaking of future talent, Alvarez's homer during our rally in the 9th was one of the hardest hit balls I have seen in a long time. It was hit to dead center (414 feet) and hit the batter's eye tarp far above the fence. He absolutely drilled it, much to the delight of his large and vocal fan club sitting about 10 rows in front of us.

10. Most of the rally in the 9th was done with two outs and the Bucs down to their last strike. It was fun to watch, even if it is a meaningless game with a bunch of players who will be sent down soon.

11. The game was called after the 11th. I understand that this is only an exhibition, but I like to play until there is a winner. I hate ties. They feel so empty. Perhaps they could go to a home run derby similar to a shootout in hockey to get a winner in these exhibitions?

12. There were more infield popups in today's game than any other game that I have ever attended.

13. Charlotte Sports Park is a fantastic facility. Other than being in the middle of nowhere, it was hard to find fault with this facility. Many of the seats (including where we were sitting) were in the shade and there is a nice boardwalk that goes around the outfield. Along the boardwalk is a tiki bar and various other places. The hot dogs were very good and the kettle corn is the best that I have ever eaten anywhere. Additionally, the crowd was the loudest and most vocal crowd I have ever seen in Spring Training. The fans were into the game and really paying attention to the actions on the field. One warning though: If you are not a fan of the Beatles, you might not enjoy attending games here. Easily 2/3rds of the music played over the PA were Beatles songs, including the music played when players came up to bat. Since I love the Beatles, this wasn't a problem for me.

14. Instead of seagulls taking over the ballpark down here, the bird action came in the form of bald eagles that we spotted flying around the outside of the stadium during the game. They are quite a majestic sight and only added to the fan experience today.

That's all I can think of for now. Next game report will be next Sunday from Bradenton vs. the Reds.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: March 15, 2009
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:19 am 

Thanks for this one too PoP! One question about Gorzo: even while he was sharp, was he falling behind hitters the entire time and going deep into counts or was he actually putting them away fairly quickly?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:11 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

8 pitches in the 1st
20 in the second...

Lots and lots in the 3rd..

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:21 am 
 WWW  Profile

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
5. The only regular from last season in the lineup today was Adam LaRoche, who was his usual unspectacular self.

6. The other LaRoche hit a nice dinger in the game today, but was pulled in the later innings for Neil Walker.

If Andy continues to hit like he is right now and Adam continues to play like Adam...Adam will be the other LaRoche!

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX