Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Altoona Report for 04/29
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 pm 

First off, if you can make a trip to Altoona, do it. Nice stadium. Lots of fun goings on. The dog mascot threw candy into the crowd and I got my daughter a Hershey Bar. I got a second one and gave it to a little boy. A t-shirt was shot to me from a cannon. I did not realize anyone was around me so I was nonchalent, so I did not get it..some fat 20ish kid grabbed it up...but it was only an advertising shirt and not a Curve shirt and there was no way it was fitting him, so I was okay. I was kinda shocked that I did not know so many of the guys on the Curve. It also amazed me that the park was probably 90-95% empty. How can they afford that?

My wife and daughter were amused that the 3b, Andy Vasquez, was scratching his nuts all night...LOL

Now onto baseball...

Stolmy Pimental, who was acquired in the Joel Hanrahan trade, was the starting pitcher. For those of you who who have been in a cave, he came into the game 1-0 with an 0.39 ERA, with 23 innings in 4 starts. He ended the game EVEN BETTER! Not sure what to make of him. He is a pretty big guy...program had him listed at 6'3" 230. Looked bigger to me. He was not overpowering. I checked the speed on almost every pitch. Most of his fastballs were 87-89. I saw only 3 pitches hit 90...a 93, a 91, and a 90. He moved up and down and in and out pretty good. He pitched 7 scoreless innings...really had no trouble, but Carlos Garcia took him out for the 8th. He IS on the 40 man roster and is still just 23 years old. He had been so-so in 7 minor league seasons so far.

Andy Vasquez, the 3b is 25 and still in AA, Andy Vasquez is probably beyond prospect status. He looked pretty good last night, besides scratching himself. He hit a nice HR to right center. He is off to a pretty good start, hitting .353 with .910 OPS.

I liked the defense of the 2b, Jerek Cunningham. He looked pretty smooth out there, made a few above average plays. But he is 23 and hitting .217 so far, after hitting .217 at Altoona last year.

I wanted to see what Andrew Lambo looked like. He hits cleanup and came up in the 1st with runners on 1st and 2nd and a run already in, and he bunted. The cleanup hitter bunted in the first inning. I did not like that too much. He ended up going 0-1 with strikeout and is hitting .300 for the season. He will be 25 by season's end.

Mel Rojas Jr played CF. He was a 3rd round pick back in 2010, but hasn't done a whole lot. He is 23 and playing AA for the first time. He is hitting .236 wiht 2 HR and 3 SB in 23 games.

Nothing else really caught my eye or sticks out in my mind except the SS, who is named Gift Ngoepe and is from South Africa...oh except one more thing, I think it's pretty stupid that they have the DH!

Post subject: Re: Altoona Report for 04/29
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 pm 

Animal wrote:
My wife and daughter were amused that the 3b, Andy Vasquez, was scratching his nuts all night...LOL

Those Altoona girls can make a guy do that a lot!

As for the empty seats, it is late April, it was kinda chilly and was raining all around the area last night. Sometimes Johnstown and the surrounding areas will have rain and Altoona wont, but that will hurt them. Go back for a weekend game in June or July, it will be packed.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Animal wrote:

Those Altoona girls can make a guy do that a lot!

As for the empty seats, it is late April, it was kinda chilly and was raining all around the area last night. Sometimes Johnstown and the surrounding areas will have rain and Altoona wont, but that will hurt them. Go back for a weekend game in June or July, it will be packed.

Personally, I liked it empty! But that is good to hear!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:45 am 

Maybe Lambo will end up being another Garrett Jones for us.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:16 am 

Leway512 wrote:
Maybe Lambo will end up being another Garrett Jones for us.

Never thought of Lambo that way. Who wouldn't take that.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 am 

He definitely has power and is a pretty big dude. I mean, he has a lot going against him, since he's been in the minors so long and he's still in AA, and just now having a good year. But it's not like he's that old, 24 is old for a "prospect" to be in AA, but if he's starting to get it, and he can be a productive MLB power hitter when he's 26 or 27, then who cares? Not like we need him to be a savior, just a contributing power bat, like Jones.

Though the idea of another power lefty who K's a bunch and doesn't walk, hitting in the same lineup with Pedro is kind of scary.