Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: G. Cole & Indianapolis vs. Louisville 4/21/13
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:18 pm 

- Made my annual trip to Victory Field in downtown Indianapolis this afternoon to catch the Indians game ... I had planned it a couple months ago and lucked out that Gerrit Cole happened to be pitching, it ends a long string of very uninterested pitchers I have seen in my previous Indians games (from Ian Snell demotions to Sean Gallagher). As I always say, Victory Field is a beautiful stadium and completely worthy of some of the "best minor league ballpark" accolades it has gotten.

- Cole was great when throwing strikes, hence the statline, he pitched four no run, 1 hit innings (the one "hit" being a bunt single that I'll get to in a minute). Problem was his control was shaky, leading to 5 walks. It was hard to pinpoint the problem, it didn't seem like he often got behind hitters and Louisville players worked solid ABs, perhaps he was trying to do too much after being pulled so early for pitch count reasons his last time out. Still, there are a lot of positives here. If it wasn't for a bunt, he would have thrown 4 hit-less innings, and his velocity looked very good, consistently throwing his fastball in the high 90s. Only two Ks which is also a disappointment, but still effective. Cole was also saved by a diving catch made by Jerry Sands with the bases loaded.

- The lone hit given up by Cole was a bunt single by Reds no. 1 prospect Billy Hamilton, who is notorious for his speed and record-setting stolen base numbers in the minors. He has hit poorly at AAA so far but is still stealing bases extremely efficiently. The bunt single was misplayed by Matt Hague, it was clearly Cole's ball to field and Hague came in too far ... they would have had him at first, but Hague got in position and caught the ball from Cole when he was still a foot off the bag. Hamilton's speed was extremely impressive, he stole two bases in the game ... however, it also cost Louisville a double play when he attempted to steal third and got doubled off on a routine fly out.

- Ironically, Indy's first run came when reliever Brooks Brown led off the inning by doubling down the third base line and came home on an error. Jordy Mecer singled (going 2-3 with a double) and came home on a Hague sac fly.

- Tony Sanchez's defense wasn't good on paper, but I like what I saw. Louisville's line-up basically consisted of either aging sluggers who looked like they should be first base coaches when their face popped up on the scoreboard, or speedy guys like Hamilton and Emmanuel Burris, both of which frequently attempted to get on base via bunting. I don't know that you can really criticize him for not throwing out Hamilton.

- MLB veteran Mark Prior pitched two innings for the Bats and was dominant. Kind of ironic that he is now in the Reds organization given that many think Dusty Baker wore his arm out in Chicago.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: G. Cole & Indianapolis vs. Louisville 4/21/
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:33 am 
 WWW  Profile

Beautiful picture and great report. Is that Lucas Oil Stadium in the background?

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Beautiful picture and great report. Is that Lucas Oil Stadium in the background?

Thanks, and yes that is Lucas Oil in the background. Apparently there was also a Pacers playoff game going on right down the street. Indy isn't the most exciting city out there (even by Midwest standards) however the location of the ballpark in the city next to the other arenas is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am 

Reminds me of Isotope Park in Albuquerque... :P :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 am 

Thanks for the report. I'm a bit concerned about Cole's command. He's going to need to be able to move that fastball of his in and out, up and down to succeed in the majors. There are plenty of guys wearing big-league uniforms who can destroy 97-mph fastballs if they're belt-high in the middle of the plate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 am 
 WWW  Profile

*OTHER TEAM QUESTION* = does Hamilton look like a guy who can get on base enough to actually utilize his prodigious speed at the ML level?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
*OTHER TEAM QUESTION* = does Hamilton look like a guy who can get on base enough to actually utilize his prodigious speed at the ML level?

I'd say it's still to be determined. He hasn't hit all too well in the high minors thus far and has gotten off to a bad year at the plate in AAA this year. Considering the Choo acquisition in the off-season he is blocked for the foreseeable future, unless they try to move him back to SS in case Cozart doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 pm 

TheShark wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

I'd say it's still to be determined. He hasn't hit all too well in the high minors thus far and has gotten off to a bad year at the plate in AAA this year. Considering the Choo acquisition in the off-season he is blocked for the foreseeable future, unless they try to move him back to SS in case Cozart doesn't work out.

Choo is not a CF, that experiment will end as soon as Hamilton is ready. With Ludwick out its an easy shift to put Billy in CF. I am skeptical about his bat as I doubt any MLB pitchers will be afraid enough to offer him many walks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
TheShark wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Choo is not a CF, that experiment will end as soon as Hamilton is ready. With Ludwick out its an easy shift to put Billy in CF. I am skeptical about his bat as I doubt any MLB pitchers will be afraid enough to offer him many walks.

Was just gonna note that...Choo has looked intoxicated trying to play CF. I'm also in agreement that Hamilton won't be able to walk and bloop his way on-base at the ML level.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm 

If Chris Heisey's bat ever makes it to Cincy, he could end up being the Reds' center fielder. He can actually field the position and push Choo to LF where he belongs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

Problem is, Hamilton has yet to hit at AAA and Ludwick is scheduled to be back around the All-Star break. Given how deep the Reds are offensively I don't expect them to panic and promote Hamilton prematurely with adequate internal options like Chris Heisey, and Xavier Paul has played well for them as well. It could happen but my impression from living here in Cincy is that they are still going to give him a lot of time in the minors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Problem is, Hamilton has yet to hit at AAA and Ludwick is scheduled to be back around the All-Star break. Given how deep the Reds are offensively I don't expect them to panic and promote Hamilton prematurely with adequate internal options like Chris Heisey, and Xavier Paul has played well for them as well. It could happen but my impression from living here in Cincy is that they are still going to give him a lot of time in the minors.

Fully agree, I was just pointing out that Choo does not block him. When he is ready Ryan Ludwick will be on the bench.