Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report - Cubs/Bucs April 22
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:19 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Thought I'd type up an "old style" game report for my first visit of the year to PNC. This was the view from Section 20 (right behind the Bucs dugout - the son-in-law-to-be has the connections, I think I'll keep him around). It was cold folks. Second coldest game I've been to at PNC. No. 9 will know the other. Some said it snowed, but it didn't... it hailed. Very small and light hailstones that whipped around in the whirling wind and was pretty cool to see. Kinda reminded me of "the Swarm" in Cleveland during the playoffs. To the points of play:

- The Vanimal sat between 88 and 83 all night, but still managed to get his share of K's and key outs. Not sure how he does it, but he creates hesitation in the hitters, a small delay that must be related to his release somehow. He wasn't great tonight, but good when he needed to be.

- Speaking of needed outs, some may have heard that there is a big notch in left field that gives the outfielders many chances at otherwise HR's or doubles. Both Worley and Scahill need to continue to make offerings to the notch-gods, because both needed all the space they could get to keep balls in the yard for Cutch and Marte to get at.

- I'm not sure if it is lack of range, or the guy is good, but Kang made at least 3 strong, diving stops to his right backhand, saving runs and creating outs in the process. His bat was ok, too. Though that kick made him look a bit slow on a couple fastballs.

- Don't believe anyone that tells you Hughes was terrible. He wasn't real good, but he was squeezed on two K -pitches, had some bad bounces in the field that nixed double plays, had Montero chop/swat dinged single, and had Cervelli allow two passed balls (maybe crossed signals, but very blockable to me).

- Keep an eye on Cervelli going forward, after the two passed balls and at the end of the inning, he came off holding and rubbing his right wrist which he had slammed into the ground to try and block Hugh's pitches.

All in all, a good win against a Cubs team that has some talent now, seems to know it, and didn't fold like a wet eel's spine when they got behind. Don't know if this is Maddon or the players, or both, but I think that even as the youg'ns regress as the league catches up to them, you will have to keep the throttle down to win.

Signing off from the warm office where I am defrosting... goooood NIGHT, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

ZM

Post subject: Re: Game Report - Cubs/Bucs April 22
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:38 am 

Good report, Mike.