Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:43 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7077
bucco boy wrote:
So to the bottom of the 8th with a 3-2 lead. Wonder if the Bucs will put 3 up on the board so Melancon will once again avoid a save situation.


Image

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 7328
Location: Pittsburgh
Marte may be off to a bad start, but he sure just showed that he remembers what to do with a fastball right down the pike. What a blast.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7668
Location: Keystone State
bucco boy wrote:
So to the bottom of the 8th with a 3-2 lead. Wonder if the Bucs will put 3 up on the board so Melancon will once again avoid a save situation.


:lol:

Image

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7668
Location: Keystone State
Outfielders are 6 for 12 tonight. Nice to see.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7077
bucco boy wrote:
Outfielders are 6 for 12 tonight. Nice to see.


Run PMC!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:17 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2508
bucco boy wrote:
Outfielders are 6 for 12 tonight. Nice to see.


As the best outfield in baseball should be most of the time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7668
Location: Keystone State
Marte's bat, Worley's arm show improvement in Pirates win

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3458
Just curious ... what's up w/ the Trib recap links? Does the board benefit from it somehow or are you just a fan of Sawchik and his recaps?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7668
Location: Keystone State
I am just wrapping up the thread with the game story. I would do the PG as well but they charge after a certain amount of free page views.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Naples, FL
The best player hitting 3rd is a just because thing. What's the big deal if Cutch hits cleanup?

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Naples, FL
It's been awhile since I've seen a ball hit as hard as it looked like Marte hit that Broxton meatball.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 7328
Location: Pittsburgh
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The best player hitting 3rd is a just because thing. What's the big deal if Cutch hits cleanup?

If that's the case, what's the big deal if he hits eighth?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7077
sisyphus wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The best player hitting 3rd is a just because thing. What's the big deal if Cutch hits cleanup?

If that's the case, what's the big deal if he hits eighth?


Touché.

---

The main reason why the question was asked was because when an offense is struggling as the Bucs were, moving their premiere MVP hitter around in the lineup is noteworthy.

Did Hurdle think that Cervelli and Polanco could generate more OBP and set the table for Cutch? Was it a pitching matchup thing? Was it due to Walker having the day off?

It was probably the last thing, as Cutch was back to batting third when Walker returned, but it was still one of many oddities on the night.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 7328
Location: Pittsburgh
NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The best player hitting 3rd is a just because thing. What's the big deal if Cutch hits cleanup?

If that's the case, what's the big deal if he hits eighth?


Touché.

---

The main reason why the question was asked was because when an offense is struggling as the Bucs were, moving their premiere MVP hitter around in the lineup is noteworthy.

Did Hurdle think that Cervelli and Polanco could generate more OBP and set the table for Cutch? Was it a pitching matchup thing? Was it due to Walker having the day off?

It was probably the last thing, as Cutch was back to batting third when Walker returned, but it was still one of many oddities on the night.

I think it was he wanted to shake things up, chose Cervelli to bat second (good choice, by the way) and preferred to keep his lefties separated. You're not likely to see it very often.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Naples, FL
Do I actually have to respon to 4th v. 8th? I'm assuming not but a better sentence is "the only reason the best hitter bats 3rd instead of 4th as the numbers suggest he should is convention". Hmmm if he's your best player why doesn't he just pitch? And manage?

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3458
NSMaster56 wrote:
It was probably the last thing, as Cutch was back to batting third when Walker returned, but it was still one of many oddities on the night.


There was an article about it on the official site the afternoon of the game about how it was the first time McCutchen batted cleanup in a few years, with a Hurdle quote saying it was due to Walker being out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:33 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7077
TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
It was probably the last thing, as Cutch was back to batting third when Walker returned, but it was still one of many oddities on the night.


There was an article about it on the official site the afternoon of the game about how it was the first time McCutchen batted cleanup in a few years, with a Hurdle quote saying it was due to Walker being out.


Cool, thanks.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 7328
Location: Pittsburgh
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Do I actually have to respon to 4th v. 8th? I'm assuming not but a better sentence is "the only reason the best hitter bats 3rd instead of 4th as the numbers suggest he should is convention". Hmmm if he's your best player why doesn't he just pitch? And manage?

Well, if it doesn't matter where he bats, it doesn't matter where he bats. Right?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Naples, FL
1. Where did I say that?

2. Even if I did say that your argument is semantics.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 17, 2015 Brewers (2-7) at Pirates (3-6)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 7587
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
sisyphus wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The best player hitting 3rd is a just because thing. What's the big deal if Cutch hits cleanup?

If that's the case, what's the big deal if he hits eighth?


So, if I'm tracking this right, your argument is that anyone who feels that there is no big deal between batting McCutchen 3rd or 4th should also feel that there is no big deal if McCutchen bats 3rd or 8th?

I think that is what they refer to as The Strawman Fallacy in logic.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits