Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 14, 2015 Tigers (6-1) at Pirates (3-4)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:03 pm 

Well that sucked. That ump should be shot, he was awful tonight.hope he's not behind the plate tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:38 am 

I can't believe how much whining there is about the bullpen. The Pirates had 3 singles, no walks, and saw only 91 pitches. They never got a man to second base. How the hell are you focusing on the bullpen, which gave up only one run that was not the deciding run.

Burnett was excellent. So was Greene. The ump wasn't that bad, except on that one pitch. He did seem to have a small strike zone though, which you would thing would help the hitters.

And how the hell do you pick up a guy off the scrap heap who can throw 98-101 consistently? Man it was fun watching him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Missed him last year. SO much.

The Phillies missed this version of AJ last year as well :-)

Quote:
Greene looking like another Scott's Turfbuilder candidate.

I was thinking the same thing until I looked up his numbers. He was pretty decent for the Yankees last year, and his first start looked much like last night. Looks to me that he's a decent pitcher who is at the top of his game right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:27 am 

Ralphie wrote:
I can't believe how much whining there is about the bullpen. The Pirates had 3 singles, no walks, and saw only 91 pitches. They never got a man to second base. How the hell are you focusing on the bullpen, which gave up only one run that was not the deciding run.

Burnett was excellent. So was Greene. The ump wasn't that bad, except on that one pitch. He did seem to have a small strike zone though, which you would thing would help the hitters.

And how the hell do you pick up a guy off the scrap heap who can throw 98-101 consistently? Man it was fun watching him.

Agree with much of what you said, but the ump was awful last night. And it wasn't the size of his strike zone that was the problem, it was the fact that it kept moving around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:40 am 

So far, the 2015 Pirates' offense reminds me of that old show "Home Run Derby" from (I think) the early 60s. I can still hear the announcer's voice saying "its all or nothing here on Home Run Derby." Admittedly, "all or nothing" is certainly an overstatement but . . . but 16 of their 30 runs this year have come via the long ball. And, they've been shut out twice.

Lots of time left to "heat up" though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:00 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
So far, the 2015 Pirates' offense reminds me of that old show "Home Run Derby" from (I think) the early 60s. I can still hear the announcer's voice saying "its all or nothing here on Home Run Derby." Admittedly, "all or nothing" is certainly an overstatement but . . . but 16 of their 30 runs this year have come via the long ball. And, they've been shut out twice.

This team has a good number of guys who profile to get on base -- Cutch, Walker, Polanco (once he figures out his 2-strike approach), Cervelli, and Harrison (via high BABIP) should all have great to good to decent OBPs. Once they're roaming the basepaths, we'll see more "conventional" runs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:43 pm 

I'm worried about Marte and Polanco. They are both chasing a ton of balls in the dirt, striking out a ton, and making very little contact.

They should both hit eventually, but until they do, the offense is going to sputter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:18 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

They're not off to a good start, but I expect them to end up in at least the top third of the league in OBP. Martin was great at getting on base, but Cervelli is no slouch in that department, so the dropoff isn't that bad. The only serious dropoff might come at first base.