Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1600
Why did Hurdle use seven relievers in an 11 inning game? This loss is on Clint. You can't lift Cole after five innings, I'm sorry.
Irresponsible. Does our manager think we have an unlimited bullpen?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 871
Ollie wrote:
Why did Hurdle use seven relievers in an 11 inning game? This loss is on Clint. You can't lift Cole after five innings, I'm sorry.
Irresponsible. Does our manager think we have an unlimited bullpen?


Cole was done. His pitch count was up and he wasn't exactly mowing them down. Hurdle tried to offset by having Hughes pitch a couple, but that failed. I don't think anyone expects extra innings either, so it is a bit extreme to blame Hurdle for using that number of pitchers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Naples, FL
Yeah Cole was just cruising, giving up only one run every other inning. Should have left him out there to throw 130.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:39 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 5012
Location: Economy, PA
Just one of those games. (One of those games where the other team scores more than we do).

3 for 15 with RISP. Couldn't get the hits when we needed them. Plus there were a lot of well struck balls that were caught by the Reds outfielders.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7606
Location: Keystone State
Pirates fall in 11th on single by Reds' Votto

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 12141
Bastardo gave up the tying hit, but the killer was when he bounced a ball 2' in front of the plate and gave Hamilton 2nd base for free.

He moves Hamilton into scoring position, then gives up a game-tying single in the 7th inning. Remember what a @#$%ing nightmare the 7th inning was last year before the Pirates called up Holdzkom? I seriously don't need to see that shit again.

Caminero looked good. He was dealing GAS, and made Frazier look stupid on a 90 mph slider.

Hmmm ... how about this? We use our best relievers in the late innings with a lead? Instead, Hughes started the 7th, his 2nd inning of work.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6897
Chalk up two losses to the bullpen.....not a good start.... :o :o :o


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6897
And Cervelli did not have such a good game either..... :? :?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7606
Location: Keystone State
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Chalk up two losses to the bullpen.....not a good start.... :o :o :o


I agree but the hitting wasn't very good either. Granted, they tied the game up late in a game where Cueto started, but yesterday they had 8 hits in 11 innings. Bats need more Jobu. Still, bullpen could not keep game tied and could not keep the lead.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 7328
Location: Pittsburgh
Clevelandsux wrote:
I don't like our catchers. Hamilton steals at will.

LOL. Hamilton steals at will against everybody. He stole 12 bases off of the Pirates last year. That's more than any team in the league, and we had Martin behind the plate. He was a perfect 5/5 against the Cards. Maybe Molina should retire.

The only way to get Hamilton is for the pitcher to have a quick delivery and for the catcher to make a perfect exchange and throw. Even then you probably don't get him unless his break was less than perfect, and his break is seldom less than perfect. The way to stop Hamilton from stealing bases is to get him out at the plate, where he sucks. If he could get on base at all he'd steal 125 to 150 bases a year. Thank god for that .292 OBP.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 7328
Location: Pittsburgh
bucco boy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Chalk up two losses to the bullpen.....not a good start.... :o :o :o


I agree but the hitting wasn't very good either. Granted, they tied the game up late in a game where Cueto started, but yesterday they had 8 hits in 11 innings. Bats need more Jobu. Still, bullpen could not keep game tied and could not keep the lead.

Eight hits, but also seven walks. You're usually going to score more than four with that combo.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 2024
Location: Eastern Shore
sisyphus wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
I don't like our catchers. Hamilton steals at will.

LOL. Hamilton steals at will against everybody. He stole 12 bases off of the Pirates last year. That's more than any team in the league, and we had Martin behind the plate. He was a perfect 5/5 against the Cards. Maybe Molina should retire.

The only way to get Hamilton is for the pitcher to have a quick delivery and for the catcher to make a perfect exchange and throw. Even then you probably don't get him unless his break was less than perfect, and his break is seldom less than perfect. The way to stop Hamilton from stealing bases is to get him out at the plate, where he sucks. If he could get on base at all he'd steal 125 to 150 bases a year. Thank god for that .292 OBP.

You got that right. He went on the first pitch in the 3rd inning of game 3. We were pitching out, it was a good enough throw from Sanchez, and he still got the steal. Hamilton is really fast.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 2024
Location: Eastern Shore
sisyphus wrote:
Eight hits, but also seven walks. You're usually going to score more than four with that combo.

And you got that right. Of course walks and hits are trending down, but IIRC the MLB averages are 8.66 hits per team per game, 3 walks per team per game yielding 4.25 runs per game per team.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 7505
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
FWIW, 2 of the ABs with RISP involved Cole and 2 of the 7 walks were intentional to Mercer to get to Cole.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 8, 2015 Pirates (0-1) at Reds (1-0)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:26 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 4518
val wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
I don't like our catchers. Hamilton steals at will.

LOL. Hamilton steals at will against everybody. He stole 12 bases off of the Pirates last year. That's more than any team in the league, and we had Martin behind the plate. He was a perfect 5/5 against the Cards. Maybe Molina should retire.

The only way to get Hamilton is for the pitcher to have a quick delivery and for the catcher to make a perfect exchange and throw. Even then you probably don't get him unless his break was less than perfect, and his break is seldom less than perfect. The way to stop Hamilton from stealing bases is to get him out at the plate, where he sucks. If he could get on base at all he'd steal 125 to 150 bases a year. Thank god for that .292 OBP.

You got that right. He went on the first pitch in the 3rd inning of game 3. We were pitching out, it was a good enough throw from Sanchez, and he still got the steal. Hamilton is really fast.


Most teams steal at will on any of our catchers not named Russell Martin the last few seasons.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits