Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report 4-25-2015 Weird night.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:31 am 

It's after midnight now so a game report is in the works. I can recall doing game reports at similar hours while renting computer time in SD. It's us left coasters….. :P
The Weird.
The weather here the last couple of days is as they would say, unseasonable. Rain, windy, cold. for us…roof was open…for the first time ever in my experience, we were rained on during the game….no one got up, all stayed.

Annoying d bags fan in front of me with his family. Told me, rooting for the Pirates was living in the past. He wanted to start the wave. WEird thing is, he got it to go….I was ready for Guest Services.

During 7th Inning, for some reason, 20 something Pirate fan, about 8 rows in front of me, decides to incite the d bags crowd which was in full quorum, by flipping off the whole section….I had visions of a Raiders game as several fans called him out…he was taken out…..not a good moment for the good guys…

Ultimate weird…after the Pirates had the 8th inning rally going, all of a sudden, everyone in the crowd started putting their cell phone light on flash and it was well, weird…Mrs. AZBF wondered if they were trying to mess with the hitter but that would effect them because there focus in straight ahead. I wondered if it might be a distraction to the pitcher and his focus…it was kooky…did they mention it on the broadcast….??

The Game

I went to see AJ and he didn't disappoint. Would have liked to see him go one more as his pitch count was very low but it's early and long season. Watson did a great job of getting out of his mess and Melancon was ok…I was worried with Tomas for the last out.

Josh Harrison had a game to forget. The bats aren't doing much. They were lucky to bunch up 2-3 hits to get a couple of runs.

Cutch hit a couple of long flys and Real Deal had one too…Seem to just miss them….I think the bats are close and a breakout would be nice mañana….

Lefty (No. 1) turned 25 today. We are going tomorrow courtesy of Mr. Rodney Johnson, who happens to be the official scorer…great guy and also a great baseball historian. Particularly the Cactus League..

Will file another report tomorrow…..hope to see Chris….

AZBF 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Game Report 4-25-2015 Weird night.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:21 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Told me, rooting for the Pirates was living in the past.

Quite possibly the oddest version of a fan "heckle" I've ever heard, especially considering the Pirates success the last few years.

The cell phone flashing thing did make the broadcast, at least on the MLB.tv feed I was watching (it was the free game of the day).

What is it with the amount of Pirates fans in Arizona? I have nothing against the state, it just strikes me as really odd ... is it some kind of desired retirement destination for Midwesterners I was unaware of? I guess you would be the guy to ask, Az. I know that every time the Pirates play in Washington, there is a similar, alarming number of Pirates fans there, but I suppose that one makes a little more sense. It just strikes me as odd that there seem to be significantly more fans in a place like Arizona than you see in other Midwest/division ballparks (here in Cinci at GABP, a good number of Pirates fans do come out, but I think it's still fairly modest, especially considering half the stadium here will be Steelers fans at Steelers/Bengals games). Maybe a little more at Wrigley due to the size of the city, but overall it seems about the same at Miller/Busch as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:01 pm 

A lot of people fled the rust belt and came here in the last 30 years due to jobs, weather, etc. There are also a huge number of people living here from Michigan and Chicago. It is even more noticeable at Coyotes and Cardinals games... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:27 pm 

Sorry for the weather....apparently I brought it with me. Having said that, upper 70's/low 80's is NOT cold. For people living in the Pacific Northwest (or all over the rest of the country for that matter) it is downright heavenly!

I'll definitely see you today. I'll be sporting my new Pedro jersey! Hoping for a big Pirates offensive day, lots of cannonballs!

On a side note, wife and I went to a burger bistro called Lushburger in Scottsdale. I had the Pittsburger...which was an homage to Primanti's: fries and slaw on the burger. Pretty good, and considering the locale, pretty cool!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:53 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Told me, rooting for the Pirates was living in the past.

Quite possibly the oddest version of a fan "heckle" I've ever heard, especially considering the Pirates success the last few years.

The cell phone flashing thing did make the broadcast, at least on the MLB.tv feed I was watching (it was the free game of the day).

What is it with the amount of Pirates fans in Arizona? I have nothing against the state, it just strikes me as really odd ... is it some kind of desired retirement destination for Midwesterners I was unaware of? I guess you would be the guy to ask, Az. I know that every time the Pirates play in Washington, there is a similar, alarming number of Pirates fans there, but I suppose that one makes a little more sense. It just strikes me as odd that there seem to be significantly more fans in a place like Arizona than you see in other Midwest/division ballparks (here in Cinci at GABP, a good number of Pirates fans do come out, but I think it's still fairly modest, especially considering half the stadium here will be Steelers fans at Steelers/Bengals games). Maybe a little more at Wrigley due to the size of the city, but overall it seems about the same at Miller/Busch as well.

Honestly, you're going to find a disproportionate number of Pittsburgh sports fans no matter where you go. It's a result of the great diaspora following the collapse of the steel industry back in the 1980's. They spread out all over the U.S., and with their passion of Pittsburgh sports they often act as missionaries, converting the young friends of their children into Pittsburgh sports fans. I've seen that myself, it's uncanny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:25 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Honestly, you're going to find a disproportionate number of Pittsburgh sports fans no matter where you go. It's a result of the great diaspora following the collapse of the steel industry back in the 1980's. They spread out all over the U.S., and with their passion of Pittsburgh sports they often act as missionaries, converting the young friends of their children into Pittsburgh sports fans. I've seen that myself, it's uncanny.

That is exactly what happened with my family, though a little earlier. My grandparents, mother, father, aunts, uncles, were all from Pittsburgh.

Mom and dad moved to California in 1956. I was born five years later, and became a lifetime Pirates/Steelers fan. My son is now a die-hard Pirates/Steelers/Pens fan. (I was never much of a hockey fan growing up.)