Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 08/28
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm 

WOW! Am I behind. Sorry for getting behind. Things are very hectic in the Animal household.... therapy getting tougher. Went into the big city and signed my retirement papers. Lots of other crap just keeping me from getting online much. I have however, watched most of the games...so I am going to start with Tuesday and work backwards, adding the points later.

Tuesday...what an AWESOME game. Perhaps my favorite game of the year. Great pitching. Awesome hitting. and little JHay doing his best Jack Lambert imitation. This was a much-needed win. I hope they win tonight, but whatever happens, happens. We are still well within reaching distance to the playoffs. It's going to be a fun five weeks or so.

STARTER: JMac. Obviously, GREAT START. Seven innings. Just 2 hits, 1 BB, 6K's and NO RUNS. I really hope this is a confidence builder for him. We need him like this down the stretch.

WIN: JMac gets the win...raises his record to 12-6, 3.57 ERA. It sucks that he has faltered a bit this half, but honestly, if someone had told you at the start of the year that JMac would be 12-6 with 3.57 ERA at the end of August, I am sure you would take it.

Honorable Mention: Tabata went 1-3 plus 2 walks and a run scored. He has been much better since his recall, and has provided us a little spark out of the leadoff spot. Snider went 2-4 with a triple and a RBI and is hitting .300 as a Pirate. Cutch went 2-5 with a double and 2 runs. Fortunately, his six stranded runners did not hurt us. Cutch is also playing hurt. McKenry went 2-5 with a run and an RBI. And even though he inherited a huge lead, I am giving Takahashi an HM for one perfect inning with 3 strikeouts.

STAR #3: He did not have one of the best offensive performances, but Josh Harrison was as important to this win as anybody. Great defense. Just 1-3....but his running over of Molina will go down in Pirate history as one of the best ever. It was aclean, hard-nosed, gutsy baseball play. He did what he had to. He did not score. But he let the Cardinals know that these at the NEW Pittsburgh Pirates. For that, he gets my #3 star.

STAR #2: JMac....this was about as good a game as he pitched all year, definately his best in a long time. This was a great game at a time we needed it horribly.

STAR #1: I did see the debate about JMac vs Pedro...but how can you NOT pick Pedro as this #1 star. He was tremendous. Forget about the 2 HR, including the longest at PNC Park history, and the so unlikely one over the 410' sign, forget about the 4-5 night, whicch also included a double. Forget about the 3 runs, and 4 RBI's. His defense was instrumental in this win. His plays early helped JMac keep his confidence up. He made several top notch defensive plays.

STANDINGS
Cutch 108
Burnett 81
Alvarez 79.5
GJones 70
Walker 69
McDonald 66.5
McKenry 47.5
Correia 40.5
Barmes 39
Tabata 37.5
Harrison 36
Karstens 35
Barajas 34.5
Presley 34.5
Lincoln 28
Hanrahan 28
McGehee 27
Bedard 25.5
Hughes 26.25
Grilli 23.75
Watson 20.75
Cruz 17.50
Marte 17
Snider 15
Resop 13
Sanchez 11.5
Hague 10
Mercer 7.5
Sutton 7
Morton 4.5
Qualls 4.0
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
McPherson 2.0
Hernandez 1.5
Wilson 1.0
Locke 1.0
Takahashi 0.5
WRod -1.50
DCutch -2.0

Last edited by Animal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 08/28
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm 

Nice to have you back, Animal. I hope that both you and the Buccos are done with this rough patch and are ready for better days.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Nice to have you back, Animal. I hope that both you and the Buccos are done with this rough patch and are ready for better days.

You and me both Scrap Iron. I am okay, just experiencing a very hectic household for a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It looked like he fouled that one off over the 410' sign. That guy has ridiculous power.

If he begins to connect more as his career progresses - look out. Like he has legit 40-50 HR potential if he ever gets to that point. He probably won't, but a man can dream!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 pm 

I'll still be contrarian and say that Harrison was the man. Which you did acknowledge. But that kind of play, more than 2 monster shots, may be more instrumental in getting this team out of its funk. If, of course, we've actually turned a corner...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

val wrote:
I'll still be contrarian and say that Harrison was the man. Which you did acknowledge. But that kind of play, more than 2 monster shots, may be more instrumental in getting this team out of its funk. If, of course, we've actually turned a corner...

Maybe the energy from that play will help remove the funk but if Alvarez continues hitting like he did last night, there won't be any funk to get out of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:30 pm 

val wrote:

As I said, I acknowledge the importance of the Harrison play, but you cannot overlook what Pedro and JMac did as being more vital, in my humble opinion..and they ARE Animal's Stars...lol

I don't know how you all feel about momentum. Sometimes I believe in it, sometimes I don't...but if we lose tonight, yesterday means absolutely nothing. Tonight is MUST WIN!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:07 pm 

Animal wrote:
val wrote:

As I said, I acknowledge the importance of the Harrison play, but you cannot overlook what Pedro and JMac did as being more vital, in my humble opinion..and they ARE Animal's Stars...lol

I don't know how you all feel about momentum. Sometimes I believe in it, sometimes I don't...but if we lose tonight, yesterday means absolutely nothing. Tonight is MUST WIN!

Plus, there's the uncontrovertible fact that Harrison's play did not plate a run, while Alvarez's night plated four. Hustle and grit look great on television, but runs win games.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 pm 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:
val wrote:

Plus, there's the uncontrovertible fact that Harrison's play did not plate a run, while Alvarez's night plated four. Hustle and grit look great on television, but runs win games.

Don't start counting now Willton, but that is THREE!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:31 pm 

Willton wrote:

Sure. But if one's talent is relatively consistent (since most players don't get better or worse from week to week or day to day) and the slumps that one endures is more a matter of form, then our form has been rock bottom in recent weeks. And I contend that form is derived from confidence/arrogance, emotion, belief in your team, health etc. All the intangibles. In a game like baseball, the opportunity to lay everything out for the team, on a play like Harrison's, is much rarer than a homerun. Maybe the team won't take anything away from Harrison's charge, and maybe the team did not go into a collective funk partly as a result of McCutchen's beaning. And maybe I'm just spouting rubbish, but over 162 games, Harrison's play was rarer.

Nice to be arguing the merits of a win rather than the negatives following a loss. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Willton wrote:

Harrison's play carries over into tonight's game and probably even further. Molina might be out for some time. I'd say J-Hay's play has more long-term impact on the Wild Card chase.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!