Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates release Bedard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 am 

Cutch and Burnett had carried this team all year. It was time for other guys to step up when they were slumping. Just what the doctor ordered. Pedro and wandy stepped up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:09 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Cutch and Burnett had carried this team all year. It was time for other guys to step up when they were slumping. Just what the doctor ordered. Pedro and wandy stepped up.

You got that right.

Thing is, AJ has slumped of late. So we need JMac to step it back up. Karstens to keep it going. Wandy to get it going.

But I have to disagree with you on one thing..while Cutch has carried the team from the beginning to now, there have been stretches where Pedro DOMINATED like no other, including Cutch. As he matures, hopefully he gets a little more consistent and does not disappear for so long of stretches. But make no mistake, Pedro CAN and HAS carried this team before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Wow, a little sensitive eh? You applied the negative stereotype, my Dad is a lawyer jackass. I was referreing to your penchance to change the argument ...

Had a few cocktails before this post, Barrys?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Wow, a little sensitive eh? You applied the negative stereotype, my Dad is a lawyer jackass. I was referreing to your penchance to change the argument ...

Yeah always start my day off with few drinks. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:47 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Yeah always start my day off with few drinks. ;)

Paul Alexander, is that you? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 pm 

Post game show had some interesting discussion about Pedro's OBP, whcih for the sabre guys is a big deal. He ranks 30th in this category. He has improved his patience a the plate. Let's hope it continues. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Post game show had some interesting discussion about Pedro's OBP, whcih for the sabre guys is a big deal. He ranks 30th in this category. He has improved his patience a the plate. Let's hope it continues. 8-) 8-) 8-)

I'm not looking to open up that whole argument again, but his OBP is higher because pitchers absolutely pitch around him a lot of times. Even when he was in one of his cold spells there were a handful of pitchers that wouldn't give him anything to hit. Tells you how bad the bottom of that lineup is.

Maybe moving him to 5th and bat Walker 6th would get him more pitches to hit. When he is hot that would be a good thing, when he is cold not so much. Walker doesn't pose nearly as much of a HR threat as Pedro so he probably would still get some pitches to hit. Just a thought....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He has improved his patience a the plate.

Slowly, but surely... maybe (I think).

It's what I liked about his big AB last night. He got ahead in the count, then called time before smacking that mammoth shot.

We all know his K problems, as he's still K'ing 3 times for every 1 BB, but it just feels like he's a more patient hitter at times now.

The stats sort of back this up with his monthly BB(-vs. K) totals:
APR: 3-23
MAY: 10-33
JUN: 11-26
JUL: 9-29
AUG: 15-34

He's been getting closer to 2:1 as the season has progessed and his BB's are up nearly every month (he hiccuped in JUL).

I'm too lazy to look up/breakdown his AB's by count, but I'd be curious to see how many pitches he's taken this year/as the season went on and compared to prior years.

It might only be baby steps, but I think the young'un is developing more patience.

So maybe bigger hurdle at this point is pitch recognition? Because he does look fooled at times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

I'm not looking to open up that whole argument again, but his OBP is higher because pitchers absolutely pitch around him a lot of times. Even when he was in one of his cold spells there were a handful of pitchers that wouldn't give him anything to hit. Tells you how bad the bottom of that lineup is.

Maybe moving him to 5th and bat Walker 6th would get him more pitches to hit. When he is hot that would be a good thing, when he is cold not so much. Walker doesn't pose nearly as much of a HR threat as Pedro so he probably would still get some pitches to hit. Just a thought....

Come on, Parrot, give credit where credit is due. Just because pitchers pitch around Pedro does not mean that his walks are less valuable or less impressive. Lesser hitters than he would be hacking away at those pitches off the plate. Pedro turns those plate appearances into something positive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:56 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
He has improved his patience a the plate.

Slowly, but surely... maybe (I think).

It's what I liked about his big AB last night. He got ahead in the count, then called time before smacking that mammoth shot.

We all know his K problems, as he's still K'ing 3 times for every 1 BB, but it just feels like he's a more patient hitter at times now.

The stats sort of back this up with his monthly BB(-vs. K) totals:
APR: 3-23
MAY: 10-33
JUN: 11-26
JUL: 9-29
AUG: 15-34

He's been getting closer to 2:1 as the season has progessed and his BB's are up nearly every month (he hiccuped in JUL).

I'm too lazy to look up/breakdown his AB's by count, but I'd be curious to see how many pitches he's taken this year/as the season went on and compared to prior years.

Pedro's Pitches/Plate Appearance:
2010: 3.87
2011: 4.03
2012: 3.91
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ches::none

NSMaster56 wrote:
So maybe bigger hurdle at this point is pitch recognition? Because he does look fooled at times.

See the link below. To summarize, his swinging tendencies do not appear to be much different from last year.
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... discipline

To me, the biggest difference between 2011 Pedro and 2012 Pedro is his power stroke and ability to get underneath the ball. 2011 Pedro hit a lot of balls into the ground. 2012 Pedro, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm 

Willton wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Come on, Parrot, give credit where credit is due. Just because pitchers pitch around Pedro does not mean that his walks are less valuable or less impressive. Lesser hitters than he would be hacking away at those pitches off the plate. Pedro turns those plate appearances into something positive.

Have you watched him bat this year at all? That's one of his big problems...he lacks a plan. The walks I'm talking about are the unintentional intentional walks. And I have given him credit. I said they should move him to 5th so he gets somebody behind him that can do damage. His power is prodigious and I'd rather see him get pitches to drive than take a walk because there is a corpse batting behind him. Yes a walk is positive, but not as positive as a double or a HR...

Post subject: Re: Piraes release Bedard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Good move. Management seems to be a little slow and very reactionary with tough moves. Before it's too late (I believe it already is) something needs to be done about the Barajas/Barmes embarrassment. I'd rather watch young guys with a future struggle than old guys that are getting rich struggle.

Barmes has an OPS of .705 in August. If you're watching a major league shortstop struggle right now, you must not be watching the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:58 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
He sucks. The only reason he's still playing is because the pirates have so much vested in him. This guy is supposed to be one of our leaders. One of our best players. He's not. He's terrible on defense. I'm not sticking up for him, neither should anyone else.

Would you like to revisit this post?