Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates release Bedard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 am 

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... rd-650838/

Later on dude.

Last edited by Dr. Phibes on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Piraes release Bedard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:20 am 

Can't say I am surprised. I liked the signing in the off season and for a while there it looked good. A good risk/reward for the Bucs. Only mistake is they stuck with him a bit too long.

Post subject: Re: Piraes release Bedard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 am 
 WWW  Profile

Good move. Management seems to be a little slow and very reactionary with tough moves. Before it's too late (I believe it already is) something needs to be done about the Barajas/Barmes embarrassment. I'd rather watch young guys with a future struggle than old guys that are getting rich struggle.

Post subject: Re: Pirates release Bedard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 am 

If they just take Correia and plug him back in the rotation then they have thrown in the towel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 am 
 WWW  Profile

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
If they just take Correia and plug him back in the rotation then they have thrown in the towel.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Yup

If its Locke or Kyle then nice move.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Yup

I would be interested in seeing Wilson get the spot.....mid 90's LH pitcher is intruiging.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Yup

I would be interested in seeing Wilson get the spot.....mid 90's LH pitcher is intruiging.

They moved him to the pen this past week. His BB rate would be problematic as a starter, see Bauer, Trevor or Hultzen, Danny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 am 

Regardless of what they do with this spot in the rotation, they are not going to throw in the towel. But I have. I don't expect them to turn this around, because it's the Pirates. Too many long years of losing have made me very skeptical.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:08 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Regardless of what they do with this spot in the rotation, they are not going to throw in the towel. But I have. I don't expect them to turn this around, because it's the Pirates. Too many long years of losing have made me very skeptical.

I don't think anyone expects the Pirates to turn it around, but that's no justification for throwing in the towel. The Pirates are certainly capable of overtaking the Cards and winning a wild card spot. While not optimistic, I remain hopeful that the Pirates recent swoon will reverse itself in September.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:11 am 

i have no issue with correia. i don't with barmes either. barojas i cant stand. pedro needs to upgrade his skills in AAA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:13 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
i have no issue with correia. i don't with barmes either. barojas i cant stand. pedro needs to upgrade his skills in AAA.

Enough with the tirade against Pedro. He's one of our better hitters and has been the best Pirates hitter not named Garrett Jones in the month of August. Pedro is not one of our team's problems, so stop harping on him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:20 am 

He sucks. The only reason he's still playing is because the pirates have so much vested in him. This guy is supposed to be one of our leaders. One of our best players. He's not. He's terrible on defense. I'm not sticking up for him, neither should anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:39 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
He sucks. The only reason he's still playing is because the pirates have so much vested in him. This guy is supposed to be one of our leaders. One of our best players. He's not. He's terrible on defense. I'm not sticking up for him, neither should anyone else.

.255/.348/.433 since the All-star break. His OBP is .387 in August, he's teh 11th best 3B in MLB by WAR. As Wilton said, he's the 2nd best hitter on the team right now. His defense has been just slightly below league average at 3B, you're just wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 am 

must be pedros family on here. anyone who watches these games knows this guy isn't getting it done. and is a big part for the pirates offensive and defensive woes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:55 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

.255/.348/.433 since the All-star break. His OBP is .387 in August, he's teh 11th best 3B in MLB by WAR. As Wilton said, he's the 2nd best hitter on the team right now. His defense has been just slightly below league average at 3B, you're just wrong.

Where do you get these since-the-all-star-break or in-August numbers? I'm tired of going through box scores...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 am 

Willton wrote:
Enough with the tirade against Pedro. He's one of our better hitters and has been the best Pirates hitter not named Garrett Jones in the month of August. Pedro is not one of our team's problems, so stop harping on him.

Willton -
Even if Alvarez is considered one of the Pirates best hitters in August, that is damning him with faint praise. Its like calling him the tallest midget.

His post-All Star production has been incredibly disappointing.

July (post All Star):
18 games
63 ABs
24 Ks (35% ratio)
15 hits (.238 average)
9 singles
1 double
5 home runs
8 RBIs
5 walks
Notably, in his 63 Plate Appearances in which Alvarez did not hit a HR after the All Star Break in July, he drove in a total of zero (0) runs. Assume 4 PAs/game . . . that’s nearly 16 full games without driving in a run.

August
25 games
78 Abs
32 Ks (35% ratio)
21 hits (.269 average)
16 singles
3 doubles
2 home runs
5 RBIs
14 walks

Total after All Star Break
43 games (1/3 of the season so far)
141 ABs
56 Ks (35% ratio)
36 hits (.255 average)
25 singles
4 doubles
7 home runs
13 RBIs
19 walks (12% ratio)

In the 43 games since the All Star break, Alvarez has driven in a grand total of 3 runs other than if he hits a HR. He has failed to put the ball in play consistently. It is pretty fair to refer to his post- All Star break “production” as a plethora of walks, singles and the occasional home run. Not much else.

While you can’t ignore that he had a decent stretch before the All Star break, he (along with McCutchen, and Walker) have had a lackluster second half and are, IMO, among the key reasons as to why this team is in a downward spiral right now. Pointing out that Alvarez has produced better numbers than guys like Barajas and Barmes does nothing for me. Alvarez is supposed to be a run producer. He has failed in that respect and that doesn’t even account for his brain fart defense. I get that he’s your favorite player. McKenry happens to be mine but that doesn’t mean that I’m closing myself off to his deficiencies – of which there are plenty.

Last edited by No. 9 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:00 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

If you are looking for Alvarez to be a singles and walk machine, then you have to love the August Alvarez. If you are looking for him to be a run producer from the 3rd base slot . . . well . . . not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm 

BTW, Bedard's xFIP is lower than McDonald's xFIP.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
BTW, Bedard's xFIP is lower than McDonald's xFIP.

Yeah I know, that's why replacing him with Correia is such a bad idea.

No.9 you have to know that getting on base is a huge part of being succesful offensively. Pedro's wOBA of .342 in August is 2nd best on the team as is his wRC+ of 115 (that's run production or 15% more than league average). wOBA is better than OBP because it weighs the value of hits, incorporating xbh.

If you want to pretend that he is going to somehow turn into Pujols then sure, he's not doing well. I prefer reality, that he is a league average 3B and he's performing exactly like one. He's outhitting McCutchen and Walker by a wide margin during this tough stretch.