Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Who do you want to win the World Series?
Philadelphia Phillies 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Tampa Bay Rays 81%  81%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Re: Phillies vs Rays
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 pm 

I like Matt Stairs and So Taguchi so I'm rooting for the Phils..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:29 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:

I'm extremely jealous PoP! I think a World Freaking Series game report is necessary!

Ask and ye shall receive, IA :)

Yesterday was my first time attending a World Series game. It is truly a sight to behold. Some random thoughts in no particular order:

1. I am still in shock that the Rays are in the Series. For fans such as myself who languished through some terrible baseball (even by Pirate standards), this is really sweet. It will be even sweeter when it is the Bucs' turn.

2. We arrived about 2.5 hours before the game to revel in the festivities. Since there were four of us in my buddy's truck, we were able to park for free in the stadium lot. The Rays' have a big "Go Green" initiative and encourage carpooling. After a few brews in the parking lot, we headed to Ferg's which is the St. Pete equivalent of Firewaters. The scene was mobbed, so after a bucket, we headed over to the Trop.

3. As we were walking in, they handed us ticket holder necklaces for our ticket stubs. It was a nice gesture, but it is covered in Taco Bell ads.

4. Our seats were obstructed by the Trop's infamous catwalk. We could see the whole diamond, but the catwalk ran from about 2B to 3B and into the outfield.

5. The Backstreet Boys should retire.

6. Cole Hammels had his A game today. Kaz was no slouch himself, but, as usual, Kaz had a high pitch count and had early trouble.

7. For as good as BJ Upton has been in the playoffs, he tanked today. Hitting into 2 DP's in a one-run game is horrible at any level.

8. While Carl Crawford was rounding the bases, my friends and I moved down to better, unobstructed seats.

9. Joe Maddon loves to change pitchers and it showed tonight. His hunches paid off.

10. There were lots of Phillies fans here tonight. I would estimate that 25% of the crowd donned red shirts and hats. There are lots of transplated Philadelphians in the area. Also, the Phillies have had Spring Training in nearby Clearwater since the 1940s'. Also, lots of fans came down from Hoagietown to take in the series. For the most part, the Phillies fans were well-behaved and I enjoyed good conversations with the ones in my sections. They were just as excited to be in the series as Rays fans.

11. Series games start too late for us East Coasters. The game was over around 12:15 and I didn't get home until almost 1AM. They need to move up the starting time (fat chance).

12. Perhaps the highlight of the night was being on the local news. If you want to see me "in action:, go to http://www.wfla.com/ and click on the Green Team Recycling link. I am on from about 1:21-1:25 and say "I'm done" while recycling out a beer can.

All in all, it was a fun night even though the Rays were not victorious. I'm off to Game 2 in a few minutes. GO RAYS!!!

All in

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:50 pm 

You're famous POP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:29 pm 

The rays are going to win.