Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:01 pm 

At one high water mark this season, we were 16 games over .500? Or was it 17?

I'm starting to worry now about falling back under.

Post subject: Re: .500
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:13 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

And if we finish the season below then it would have to be one of the biggest collapses in the history of baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:28 pm 

rellimie wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

And if we finish the season below then it would have to be one of the biggest collapses in the history of baseball.

I assume you are watching these games...it could happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:53 pm 

Certainly not how we want to finish August. But the schedule is favorable the rest of the way. I said it last night, and I'll say it again... this series with the Cardinals (starting tomorrow) is a watershed moment. We've had plenty of those this season, but at this point in time, this upcoming series is critical.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 pm 

I can't understand how the life of this team has just kind of disappeared. They're so unmotivated sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:50 pm 

They're beginning to approach their pythagorean and surely have played worse than that as of late.

It's the law of large numbers, gentlemen. After game 162, I expect a run differential within 5 or so of even (either way) and a record close to .500.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:52 pm 

I don't think it is a lack of motivation. I think it is more being overwhelmed by the pressure to perform.
A MLB pennant race is uncharted waters for most of these players. The players have the added pressure
of overcoming a record setting multi-year losing streak that is a frequent topic.

I think opponents have learned to pitch around Cutch and the other players have not come through
very often when forced into this role in August.

The pitchers are doing about as well as can be reasonably expected. Most of them have been performing
above their career norms.

I know we'll never hear it, but I'd like to hear the honest feelings of Hurdle. Does he think management did
everything they could do to support the team's run this year?

I'm hoping for the best, but unless a couple of hitters get very hot (and a couple of them tend to run
streaky) and quickly I think .500 will prove just out of reach. The pressure on the players is only going to increase
as the season finishes up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:58 pm 

we were 16 games over 3 times I believe....never reached 17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:06 pm 

Yeah I don't think we ever reached 17 games over this year. .500 surely isn't out of reach if the team just tanks in September. Just about everything went wrong for the bucs in August that has led to the recent struggles.

Poor pitching from the starters for the most part, giving up big innings from the bullpen at times, not so good hitting with runners in scoring position, terrible baserunning decisions and lackluster defense in key situations has turned this thing upside down.

The one upside to a bad August is there hasn't really been any teams in the wildcard chase just catch fire. Coming into August we were only a couple games up for the 2nd wildcard team and even with the losing we're still only a couple games back.

September's schedule isn't overwhelming with a bunch of games against clubs from the lower half of the division, to go along with key games against the Reds and Braves, but they have to be won with great team play.

Last but not least, McCutchen and Burnett have to step up and be the leaders of this club. Show the way. Get out of whatever funks they're in and perform because they've been flat out awful this month.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:42 pm 

how about alvarez?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 am 

I don't want to get too pessimistic, though this season is unfolding eerily like last year's. But I am not at all comforted by the strength of schedule of our remaining games. We just got swept by the Padres and beaten pretty soundly by Milwaukee. Slumps are a part of baseball, but losing, like winning, is contagious, and man o man have we caught the bug. At this point, going 1-2 vs the Cardinals would look like a moral victory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
how about alvarez?

What about Alvarez?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 am 

Our remaining schedule might look favorable on paper, but remember.....we just got swept by the Padres.

This fold is mind boggling. Please make it stop. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 am 

rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
how about alvarez?

What about Alvarez?

He sux!!!1!1!one1!one!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Alvarez'z power seems to have left him and he's had some bad at-bats but he's singling .258 for the month and has been getting on base quite a bit in August. I'd like to see some more run production out of him, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Alvarez'z power seems to have left him and he's had some bad at-bats but he's singling .258 for the month and has been getting on base quite a bit in August. I'd like to see some more run production out of him, though.

Just FWIW:

Up until Sunday, he had a pretty good (for him) and even BB:K ratio at 8:8... then he K'd 2 or 3 times...

But still... :D

Nobody can disagree about the run production though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Just FWIW:

Up until Sunday, he had a pretty good (for him) and even BB:K ratio at 8:8... then he K'd 2 or 3 times...

I agree the power numbers aren't there but at least it's just a power slump. He's still hitting and getting on base. The power is going to be streaky but during the slump this is what we want him to do. Let's hope for a monster September, you never know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:11 am 
 WWW  Profile

rellimie wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Just FWIW:

I agree the power numbers aren't there but at least it's just a power slump. He's still hitting and getting on base. The power is going to be streaky but during the slump this is what we want him to do. Let's hope for a monster September, you never know.

Hope tonight was a start.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 am 
 WWW  Profile

I must've missed the part where we all expected Alvarez to hit .250 with 30+ home runs for the year, and become a gold glover.

Not sure I get the Alvarez hate from some members. He's about playing at my expectation level, and I'm not just saying that because of his monster night last night.

See: Players, Streaky. He didn't invent the phenomenon.