Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How much longer...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 pm 

val wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:
I'm actually wondering if they sort of mutinied when more wasn't done at the trade deadline....

I've thought the same thing.

Biertempfel alluded to something like this back on 8/10 shortly after the end of the moves.....

"There’s a feeling among some of the holdover Pirates players that, with a postseason berth within reach this season, management did not step up and get them some help for the here and now.

Manager Clint Hurdle knows the temperature of his team. When he closed the doors for a post-deadline day meeting last week in Chicago, Hurdle wanted to stomp out any dissatisfaction about the new-look roster. “Anyone who has any GM in them, they’ve got to let it go,” Hurdle said. “Anyone who has any manager in them, they’ve got to let it go.” "

That just sort of stuck with me, and we see how things have gone since then. Could be coincidence I suppose, but they've been playing incredibly uninspired baseball for the last 3 weeks.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:30 pm 

Wandy Rodriguez looks like he has no desire to be here. Did anyone else see the mini-temper tantrum he had when he went out to the bullpen in the extra inning game in St. Louis? He seems emotionless here. And then add to it that's he's throwing like crap.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Scrap Iron wrote:
val wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:
I'm actually wondering if they sort of mutinied when more wasn't done at the trade deadline....

I've thought the same thing.

Biertempfel alluded to something like this back on 8/10 shortly after the end of the moves.....

"There’s a feeling among some of the holdover Pirates players that, with a postseason berth within reach this season, management did not step up and get them some help for the here and now.

Manager Clint Hurdle knows the temperature of his team. When he closed the doors for a post-deadline day meeting last week in Chicago, Hurdle wanted to stomp out any dissatisfaction about the new-look roster. “Anyone who has any GM in them, they’ve got to let it go,” Hurdle said. “Anyone who has any manager in them, they’ve got to let it go.” "

That just sort of stuck with me, and we see how things have gone since then. Could be coincidence I suppose, but they've been playing incredibly uninspired baseball for the last 3 weeks.....

Maybe they should get the f over it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Animal wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
do we have to put up with Erik Bedard? And, I don't mean in today's game...I mean on this roster! He's good for two to three innings anymore and then he just craps himself...

I have seen enough. Put him in the pen. He may be able to give us an inning or two there when needed.

I'm finally with you on this one. I'm over Bedard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:52 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

Word.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm 

Willton wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Word.

This.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Willton wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Word.

This.

Agreed. They gotta be tougher mentally than that - and tougher than they've shown over the past 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:24 am 

Sorry, I'm just not buying that we're losing because the players think we should have done more at the deadline.

We are losing because we are not a great team. It's the same reason we were losing the entire month of April and into May. It's the same reason we were muddling through the games right after the all star break.

We are a mediocre team that had a hot 40 days or so. To get on that hot streak, we had Andrew McCutchen hitting .400, AJ and JMac pitching like Cy Young candidates, etc. etc. Most of these things were unsustainable- and it was certainly unsustainable that all cylinders would keep firing like that.

This is not to say Cutch or AJ or JMac aren't good- or even great players. But even with them putting up good numbers, it isn't going to be enough to carry the giant black hole of suck that is Barmes, Barajas, or Tabata. Combine that with terrible in-game management by Purple Hurdle and it is a recipe for collapse.

Has nothing to do with players throwing a pity party.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:27 am 

Barojas needs to go. He can't hit, he's not a good catcher. He flatout sucks. I'm sick of Alvarez too. Wish we still had aramis ramirez. Another error tonight by Alvarez. Alvarez can't hit and is not good defensively. He's a bust. This guy should be one of our big guns, but he's not.

When are the Pirates gonna go all out and put a serious contender together? Ya we might suck for a few years after. but not consistantly like we have since '92. Look at the Astros. Yes they are horrible now, but they went to aworld series not that long ago. Had alot of contending teams over the years. Teams like the Twins, A's, Padres have had success in the past 20 years. I'm tired of hearing about the small market crap. Just bad management and cheap ownership.

PNC has been packed all summer. Don't don't blame poor attendance. Pittsburgh is one of the best sports towns around. They want a winner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:59 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
... do we have to put up with Erik Bedard?

And the answer is: Not a moment longer. Bedard has been released.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 am 

bye bye bedard. i hope releasing him will shake up and wake up the rest of this team. realize that mediocre play is not accepted or tolerated anymore with the buccos.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:51 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
When are the Pirates gonna go all out and put a serious contender together? Ya we might suck for a few years after. but not consistantly like we have since '92. Look at the Astros. Yes they are horrible now, but they went to aworld series not that long ago.

Did they win? No. Therefore they did not reach their goal and now they're the worst team in the MLB. There's a system in place and it's starting to work.

Clevelandsux wrote:
I'm tired of hearing about the small market crap. Just bad management and cheap ownership.

I would have been more inclined to agree 2 or 3 years ago... Then they went and locked up their superstar CF for 6 years and signed what looked to be the LF of the future to a very team friendly contract.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:26 pm 

Regarding the deadline deals, I thought the following was interesting:

Travis Snider's hitting line in August: .292/.366/.389
Shin-Soo Choo's hitting line in August: .237/.311/.366

Hmm, I wonder if the Pirates would have been pilloried for trading for a sub-.700 OPSing Choo?