Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dejan Picks a Fight with Charlie Wilmoth on Twitter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm 

I lost respect for DK long ago for reasons that I will keep to myself. Even before he was a beat writer for the Bucs.
To me, he comes off as condescending and often arrogant in his "I know more than anyone because I am an insider". An example of this is his dismissal of tv viewers and there opinions because "they are not there". IMHO, tv viewers actually have some better insight due to replays and being able to see the strike zone. His regional jingoism really gets on my nerves too.. :? :? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 pm 

I think that there is an epidemic emerging amongst sportswriters/reporters. With shows like Around the Horn, PTI and douchebags like Skip Bayless...it is almost a competition to see who is the most arrogant, most vocal, opinionated jackass.

We are sadly facing a status of sports reporting that relies more on bravado and ridiculous claims than on actual knowledge of sports or articulate writing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:17 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
I think that there is an epidemic emerging amongst sportswriters/reporters. With shows like Around the Horn, PTI and douchebags like Skip Bayless...it is almost a competition to see who is the most arrogant, most vocal, opinionated jackass.

We are sadly facing a status of sports reporting that relies more on bravado and ridiculous claims than on actual knowledge of sports or articulate writing.

Sadly . . . not limited to sports "personalities." Reasonable discourse is harder and harder to find.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:15 pm 

Things like this make me question whether age is the proper determinant for adulthood.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:53 am 

I'm surprised no one mentioned DK's latest off base rant on the clay pigeon charity event Thursday. He made it sound like the entire team was led in a death march from the plane to Seven Springs, when in reality is was only 1 Friday starter among 10 players and several guys really enjoyed the trip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:48 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned DK's latest off base rant on the clay pigeon charity event Thursday. He made it sound like the entire team was led in a death march from the plane to Seven Springs, when in reality is was only 1 Friday starter among 10 players and several guys really enjoyed the trip.

When I read that the players were given an option of going on Thursday OR September 6th, I thought "ho hum."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I lost respect for DK long ago for reasons that I will keep to myself. Even before he was a beat writer for the Bucs.
To me, he comes off as condescending and often arrogant in his "I know more than anyone because I am an insider". An example of this is his dismissal of tv viewers and there opinions because "they are not there". IMHO, tv viewers actually have some better insight due to replays and being able to see the strike zone. His regional jingoism really gets on my nerves too.. :? :? :? :? :?

I remember this attitude from when he was on this board. He went to almost all the games, and thought that you had to be there to really see the game.

When I go to the game, I feel like I didn't really even see it. There's a lot to see and enjoy, but you can't really tell what's going on at home plate from most places in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

I remember this attitude from when he was on this board. He went to almost all the games, and thought that you had to be there to really see the game.

When I go to the game, I feel like I didn't really even see it. There's a lot to see and enjoy, but you can't really tell what's going on at home plate from most places in the ballpark.

I hate that. It's the next step down from the players saying you have to play it to understand. Shaaadup.