Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dejan Picks a Fight with Charlie Wilmoth on Twitter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:19 am 

A recap of the episode can be found here.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2012/8/22/326 ... -chronicle

I know he's revered here, but DK is starting to lose his cool, and I'm starting to lose even more respect for the guy.

Post subject: Re: Dejan Picks a Fight with Charlie Wilmoth on Twitter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm 

Willton wrote:

I know he's revered here, but DK is starting to lose his cool, and I'm starting to lose even more respect for the guy.

Charlie fails to realize that DK has picked up the annoying habit of making a broad, often vague statement on his blog/editorials then refusing to admit when he's wrong hiding behind something along the lines of "you didn't understand what I said" even when the words were very unclear (or in several cases incorrect). On his blog he often says things that are factually wrong, then when called on it he quickly edits his post and doesn't acknowledge his mistake (see his many posts regarding the Appel situation).

That and he refuses to allow dissent on anything he feels strongly about - "PLAY FOOTBALL".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:54 pm 

Charlie doesn't like Twitter but engages in Twitter wars? A large number of the folks over at BD take themselves way too seriously and have awfully thin skin. They can dish out the criticism but when its directed at them . . . different story.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Charlie doesn't like Twitter but engages in Twitter wars? A large number of the folks over at BD take themselves way too seriously and have awfully thin skin. They can dish out the criticism but when its directed at them . . . different story.

In this case IMO, DK is creating a strawman because he is upset that his trade deadline rants against NH didn't recieve much traction among the online blogs. He is doing, the old, I know better than everyone, so I will make fun (belittle) them with things like the "meh crowd" hashtag.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Willton wrote:

Charlie fails to realize that DK has picked up the annoying habit of making a broad, often vague statement on his blog/editorials then refusing to admit when he's wrong hiding behind something along the lines of "you didn't understand what I said" even when the words were very unclear (or in several cases incorrect). On his blog he often says things that are factually wrong, then when called on it he quickly edits his post and doesn't acknowledge his mistake (see his many posts regarding the Appel situation).

That and he refuses to allow dissent on anything he feels strongly about - "PLAY FOOTBALL".

EXACTLY this. Also, for somebody who's been in the business so long he has ridiculously thin skin. Comes off as a whiny know-it-all more and more these days. Then again, virtually all sportswriters fit that description.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:12 pm 

Willton wrote:

I lost a lot of respect for him during Huntington's trades (Jack Wilson, Freddy Sanchez, and Nate McLouth) He started letting his personal feeling get in the way of his beat writer position.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

In this case IMO, DK is creating a strawman because he is upset that his trade deadline rants against NH didn't recieve much traction among the online blogs. He is doing, the old, I know better than everyone, so I will make fun (belittle) them with things like the "meh crowd" hashtag.

I'm not arguing that DK is either right or wrong . . . nor am I arguing that Charlie is right or wrong. I just find it interesting that Charlie's first sentence identifies that he doesn't like Twitter but, yet, he has a Twitter account and engages in Twitter wars . . .
Charlie may not like the "meh crowd" overgeneralization but when it comes to overgeneralizations and stereotypes, perhaps a reminder of the adage "those who live in glass houses . . ." or "if you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen."
More and more I'm finding that those who criticize others for a living and overuse hyperbole such as "ridiculous" in an effort to portray their moral or intellectual superiority are among the absolute worst reactionaries when criticism is leveled in thier direction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

I'm not arguing that DK is either right or wrong . . . nor am I arguing that Charlie is right or wrong. I just find it interesting that Charlie's first sentence identifies that he doesn't like Twitter but, yet, he has a Twitter account and engages in Twitter wars . . .
Charlie may not like the "meh crowd" overgeneralization but when it comes to overgeneralizations and stereotypes, perhaps a reminder of the adage "those who live in glass houses . . ." or "if you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen."
More and more I'm finding that those who criticize others for a living and overuse hyperbole such as "ridiculous" in an effort to portray their moral or intellectual superiority are among the absolute worst reactionaries when criticism is leveled in thier direction.

Charlie has a Twitter account because he wants to expand and engage the readership of his blog more. Since many sports fans have Twitter accounts and like to use them, Charlie would likely be doing his blog a disservice by not having an account.

As for engaging in the Twitter war with Dejan, he explains his reasons explicitly toward the bottom of his post:
Quote:
I imagine some of you are entertained; I imagine some others (and maybe some of the same people) are wondering why we let ourselves sink so low. It's a fair question. From my perspective, Dejan is one of the biggest sports personalities in Pittsburgh. He has about nine times as many Twitter followers as I do. It's deeply strange for someone in his position to be picking fights with a blogger. When he does -- and this isn't the first time he's done it -- I feel like I almost have to respond, because there are a lot of potential Bucs Dugout readers out there whose opinions about the site will be shaped by the things he says about it.

In other words, Charlie did it because he wanted to dispel any misconceptions about BucsDugout.com that Dejan might be engendering through his influence in Pittsburgh sports media.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:58 pm 

Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:03 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Remembering Charlie's attitude toward those with other ideas here for awhile, I will always enjoy a Texas cage match between the self-righteous.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm 

I lost respect for DK long ago for reasons that I will keep to myself. Even before he was a beat writer for the Bucs.
To me, he comes off as condescending and often arrogant in his "I know more than anyone because I am an insider". An example of this is his dismissal of tv viewers and there opinions because "they are not there". IMHO, tv viewers actually have some better insight due to replays and being able to see the strike zone. His regional jingoism really gets on my nerves too.. :? :? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 pm 

I think that there is an epidemic emerging amongst sportswriters/reporters. With shows like Around the Horn, PTI and douchebags like Skip Bayless...it is almost a competition to see who is the most arrogant, most vocal, opinionated jackass.

We are sadly facing a status of sports reporting that relies more on bravado and ridiculous claims than on actual knowledge of sports or articulate writing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:17 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
I think that there is an epidemic emerging amongst sportswriters/reporters. With shows like Around the Horn, PTI and douchebags like Skip Bayless...it is almost a competition to see who is the most arrogant, most vocal, opinionated jackass.

We are sadly facing a status of sports reporting that relies more on bravado and ridiculous claims than on actual knowledge of sports or articulate writing.

Sadly . . . not limited to sports "personalities." Reasonable discourse is harder and harder to find.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:15 pm 

Things like this make me question whether age is the proper determinant for adulthood.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:53 am 

I'm surprised no one mentioned DK's latest off base rant on the clay pigeon charity event Thursday. He made it sound like the entire team was led in a death march from the plane to Seven Springs, when in reality is was only 1 Friday starter among 10 players and several guys really enjoyed the trip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:48 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned DK's latest off base rant on the clay pigeon charity event Thursday. He made it sound like the entire team was led in a death march from the plane to Seven Springs, when in reality is was only 1 Friday starter among 10 players and several guys really enjoyed the trip.

When I read that the players were given an option of going on Thursday OR September 6th, I thought "ho hum."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I lost respect for DK long ago for reasons that I will keep to myself. Even before he was a beat writer for the Bucs.
To me, he comes off as condescending and often arrogant in his "I know more than anyone because I am an insider". An example of this is his dismissal of tv viewers and there opinions because "they are not there". IMHO, tv viewers actually have some better insight due to replays and being able to see the strike zone. His regional jingoism really gets on my nerves too.. :? :? :? :? :?

I remember this attitude from when he was on this board. He went to almost all the games, and thought that you had to be there to really see the game.

When I go to the game, I feel like I didn't really even see it. There's a lot to see and enjoy, but you can't really tell what's going on at home plate from most places in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

I remember this attitude from when he was on this board. He went to almost all the games, and thought that you had to be there to really see the game.

When I go to the game, I feel like I didn't really even see it. There's a lot to see and enjoy, but you can't really tell what's going on at home plate from most places in the ballpark.

I hate that. It's the next step down from the players saying you have to play it to understand. Shaaadup.