Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shelby Ford
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I saw it. So substitute any third baseman for Snell.

So, you think it legitimate to compare moving a pitcher to second base, with moving a third baseman to second base?

I cited, from memory, three examples in the past couple of years where a third baseman moved to second - Blake Dewitt, Iwamura, Aaron Boone. I did not include Sanchez himself, though he moved from third to second, since he actually was a second baseman who moved to third, before moving back to second.

So now why don't you cite three examples in the past few years where a pitcher moved to second base??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I saw it. So substitute any third baseman for Snell.

So, you think it legitimate to compare moving a pitcher to second base, with moving a third baseman to second base?

Jesus, Bucfan, didn't you see the damn words you're replying to? I said to go ahead and substitute any third baseman for Snell. I didn't argue with you or take issue with your post in any way, and I didn't bother pointing out the fact that you seem to be blind to hyperbole.

Quote:
I cited, from memory, three examples in the past couple of years where a third baseman moved to second - Blake Dewitt, Iwamura, Aaron Boone. I did not include Sanchez himself, though he moved from third to second, since he actually was a second baseman who moved to third, before moving back to second.

Blake DeWitt was a high school shortstop who played exactly two seasons at a third before the Dodgers realized that he might not have enough bat to make it as a third baseman. But if you think that moving a 20 year old in the Florida State League from third to second is the equivalent of making the same move with a 25 year old at the major league level, fine. If you think that making that move is the same for the 5' 9", 175 pound Iwamura as it would be for the 6' 1", 215 pound, much slower LaRoche, that's fine, too. But if you think that spending 23 games at second base in a career of 1,142 games constitutes the successful move of a third baseman to second base, that's just laughable. Aaron Boone has spent more time at shortstop than he has at second. Does that make him a shortstop?

You didn't get Sanchez right, either. He's a shortstop who was moved to second after a brief fling at third for a team that had no third baseman at all. If the Pirates didn't already have Jack Wilson when the acquired Sanchez he'd still be a shortstop.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:03 pm 

??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:24 pm 

Ford had a homerun two days ago. He is having a nice fall.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:30 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Ford had a homerun two days ago. He is having a nice fall.

No Van Benschoten had a nice fall....Ford is having a nice Autumn...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:13 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Jesus, Bucfan, didn't you see the damn words you're replying to? ....

Discussions with sisy:

You made a stupid assertion (moving Laroche to third is as likely to happen as moving a pitcher to third).

You were not speaking in hyperbole. You believed that the chances of these two happening are equal. That is apparent in your post. I showed that you were wrong.

You now say, "Oh, I was just overstating the issue. Just kidding."

Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:24 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Jesus, Bucfan, didn't you see the damn words you're replying to? ....

Discussions with sisy:

You made a stupid assertion (moving Laroche to third is as likely to happen as moving a pitcher to third).

As a matter of fact, no, I didn't. First of all, there is no need to move LaRoche to third. That's already his position. Secondly, I didn't mention moving a pitcher to third, or even to second. But thanks loads for proving that you don't even bother to read my posts before firing off your knee jerk bitching and moaning. Here is what I said.

"I don't know for sure that the sun will rise tomorrow, either, but I know which way to bet, and I know that I can give extremely generous odds. I could say that Ian Snell will be converted into a slugging first baseman, but you wouldn't need a crystal ball to tell me what I'm full of."

Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt and stipulate that you simply mis-stated the positions involved, would you care to point out where I said that moving LaRoche to second is as likely as moving Snell to first base?

Quote:
You were not speaking in hyperbole.

As I said, hyperbole is wasted on you. You can't see it.

Quote:
You believed that the chances of these two happening are equal. That is apparent in your post. I showed that you were wrong.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... /hyperbole

"hyperbole
literature
Main

a figure of speech that is an intentional exaggeration for emphasis or comic effect."

I know big words like "hyperbole" because I majored in English. That's why I also know how to use techniques like hyperbole when I'm writing. I assume that the readers are intelligent enough to recognize it when they see it. Obviously I assume too much.

Quote:
You now say, "Oh, I was just overstating the issue. Just kidding."

Yeah, right.

Are you getting defensive just because you were caught thinking that Aaron and Brett Boone were the same guy?

Discussions with Bucfan:

Sisyphus: "The sky is blue."

Bucfan: "You're crazy. Grass is NOT red."

Good picture there, though. Mind if I steal it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:56 pm 

Sisyphus, are you this miserable, unbearable, unhappy and this much an asshole in person?

If so, I would imagine you have a very limited circle of friends.

I stopped reading and participating here for while this summer because of your unending and ill-founded vitriol. I come to this message board for information about a team 2000 miles from where I live, not to have to read your crap. I put you on ignore this year, and will re-employ that feature because you are a loathesome fat-ass.

So, hey, you are whooping it up on a message board discussion. Why don't you have another twinkie or 12 to celebrate, fat-ass?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Sisyphus, are you this miserable, unbearable, unhappy and this much an asshole in person?

Dude, you're the one who is going nuts here. To answer your question, though, no, but I'd be glad to make an exception for you if we ever meet.

Quote:
If so, I would imagine you have a very limited circle of friends.

Why not? You imagine about half of what you accuse me of writing.

Quote:
I stopped reading and participating here for while this summer because of your unending and ill-founded vitriol. I come to this message board for information about a team 2000 miles from where I live, not to have to read your crap. I put you on ignore this year, and will re-employ that feature because you are a loathesome fat-ass.

So, hey, you are whooping it up on a message board discussion. Why don't you have another twinkie or 12 to celebrate, fat-ass?

Aren't you the sweetest thing. Thanks for putting me back on ignore, as long as you really do ignore me, unlike last summer, when you continued sniping at me while hiding behind the ignore feature.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:11 am 

Ahh, Pittsburgh Pirates baseball. Feel the love.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:12 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

When do pitchers and catchers report to Bradenton?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:27 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

When do pitchers and catchers report to Bradenton?

Hey, it's a better team slogan than "We will."

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.