Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shelby Ford
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:14 pm 

This guy intrigues me. He's hitting .357 in the AFL with an OPS of 1.057. He's 24 already, so I'd like to see how he'd do at Indy next year. We could be looking at Sanchez's replacement if it's not Andy LaRoche.

Post subject: Re: Shelby Ford
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
This guy intrigues me. He's hitting .357 in the AFL with an OPS of 1.057. He's 24 already, so I'd like to see how he'd do at Indy next year. We could be looking at Sanchez's replacement if it's not Andy LaRoche.

Why is there this fascination in making Andy LaRoche a 2B? If Andy was capable of playing that position, don't you think that the Dodgers would have tried him there in the minors? What makes you think that Andy can handle the keystone?

As for Ford, I'm all for any move that contemplates replacing Sanchez, but I worry that Ford's AFL numbers are all batting-average-driven. His AA numbers hardly impressive, and he's never displayed much plate discipline or power in the minors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 am 

He's tearing it up right now out here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:49 am 

I guess just the idea of having a guy with 30 HR potential at that position is fascinating. I thought he played some 2B in the Dodger system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:32 am 

Man, I don't know, I think Shelby Ford would have trouble hitting 15 HRs in the bigs, and that's letting him use an aluminum bat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:04 pm 

I was referring to LaRoche with the 30 HRs. Chris Bermann would have fun with Ford's name, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:40 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I was referring to LaRoche with the 30 HRs. Chris Bermann would have fun with Ford's name, too.

Yes, my reading comprehension skills are lacking (again) I see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:42 pm 

No, that was my bad. Too lazy to use the "quote" feature...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:34 pm 

At least you know how to use the quote feature.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:00 pm 

At least you know how to use the quote feature.

The what feature?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:21 am 

Too early to be laughing this hard Bucfan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:34 am 

doug frobel wrote:

Andy LaRoche is never going to be an every day second baseman.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

there's a lot of question as to whether he'll ever be a 3b.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:18 pm 
sisyphus wrote:

Unlikely but possible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:01 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Unlikely but possible.

Not possible. It will never happen. Take it to the bank. (Insert cliche of your preference here) He just does not have the necessary range. The only reason the Dodgers got him some work there was to make him a little more versatile. They didn't think for a second of turning him into a regular second baseman.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:52 am 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Unlikely but possible.

Not possible. It will never happen. Take it to the bank. (Insert cliche of your preference here) He just does not have the necessary range. The only reason the Dodgers got him some work there was to make him a little more versatile. They didn't think for a second of turning him into a regular second baseman.

Unlikely but possible. Unless you have a crystal ball, you can't know that for sure.

I don't think it will happen. I don't see little LaRoche as a second baseman. But it is possible ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Unlikely but possible. Unless you have a crystal ball, you can't know that for sure.

I don't think it will happen. I don't see little LaRoche as a second baseman. But it is possible ...

It's also possible that the Pirates will ask LaRoche to pitch. Does that mean that it warrants discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:24 pm 

Willton wrote:
It's also possible that the Pirates will ask LaRoche to pitch. Does that mean that it warrants discussion?

Apples and ... Volkswagens. Laroche is a position player. He is also an infielder. Some third baseman have moved to second, when the team gets a third baseman who is too good to keep off the field. The Rays are one example, moving Iwamura from third to second. Aaron Boone is another. Blake Dewitt is a third.

Laroche played a bit at second for the Dodgers. The Dodgers wanted to know if he had the range and footwork to play second, since his potential offensive production (25 HR's, 75 walks, .375 OBP, etc.) would make him a huge plus at second base.

Instead, the Dodgers wound up trading Laroche and moving another third baseman (Dewitt) to second.

Citing pitching in this discussion is not credible, Wilton. Trust me, counselor, if you use unfounded and clearly erroneous analogies in court, you will be called on it. Here, in the court of public opinion, you might be called on it as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:38 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Apples and ... Volkswagens. Laroche is a position player. He is also an infielder. Some third baseman have moved to second, when the team gets a third baseman who is too good to keep off the field. The Rays are one example, moving Iwamura from third to second. Aaron Boone is another. Blake Dewitt is a third.

Laroche played a bit at second for the Dodgers. The Dodgers wanted to know if he had the range and footwork to play second, since his potential offensive production (25 HR's, 75 walks, .375 OBP, etc.) would make him a huge plus at second base.

Instead, the Dodgers wound up trading Laroche and moving another third baseman (Dewitt) to second.

Citing pitching in this discussion is not credible, Wilton. Trust me, counselor, if you use unfounded and clearly erroneous analogies in court, you will be called on it. Here, in the court of public opinion, you might be called on it as well.

Fine. Then let me say that the likelihood that LaRoche will play 2B is the same likelihood that the Pirates will ask Capps to start.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 pm 

Willton wrote:
Fine. Then let me say that the likelihood that LaRoche will play 2B is the same likelihood that the Pirates will ask Capps to start.

What is that based on?

What? Other than you saying so?