Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fat Matt Stairs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:45 am 

Good for him! It's nice to know there's still a place in the game for an old fat man that can just flat swing the bat. Big HR off Broxton last night to win the game. I'd actually be rooting for LA in this one if it weren't for one player that they have.

Post subject: Re: Fat Matt Stairs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If there ever were a no-doubter that was certainly it. Man did he smoke that fastball!

11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 pm 
doug frobel wrote:
Good for him! It's nice to know there's still a place in the game for an old fat man that can just flat swing the bat. Big HR off Broxton last night to win the game. I'd actually be rooting for LA in this one if it weren't for one player that they have.

I'm the same way, Doug. This is actually a tough group of four to decide on.

I've always liked the Dodgers. Most years, they are my 2nd favorite team, but I hate Manny. But I hate all things related to Philadelphia, so I sure as hell can't root for them, so what do I do?

In the AL, I'm not a big BoSox fan, but I am a Jason Bay fan. The Rays are fine, but do I root for them ahead of seeing Bay get a shot at his ring?

Hmmm ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Elmer wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I've always liked the Dodgers. Most years, they are my 2nd favorite team, but I hate Manny. But I hate all things related to Philadelphia, so I sure as hell can't root for them, so what do I do?

In the AL, I'm not a big BoSox fan, but I am a Jason Bay fan. The Rays are fine, but do I root for them ahead of seeing Bay get a shot at his ring?

Hmmm ...

Hate for everything Philly (well at least the sports teams) outweighs any hate for Manny. Go Dodgers.

The AL is really a toss up right now. I don't care which team wins. I'd be happy to see Jay Bay have the opportunity for a WS ring this year, but that could happen as long as he is in Boston. The Rays have been a great baseball story, and provides hope for us Bucco fans. In the end, I think the AL is going to win it all, and the two teams that I was hoping to make it to the ALCS have made it there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:43 pm 

quote="Elmer"]
doug frobel wrote:

Hmmm ...[/quote]
I'm pulling for the Phillies. Don't like the City but I like the way they play the game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:11 pm 

I am rooting for the Rays all the way for the many reasons I have posted on previous occasions. I would love for Bay to get a ring, but I loathe the Red Sox so much that my loathing far overtakes me rooting for Bay. On a scale of obnoxious, Sox fans make Braves and Yankees fans look like Quakers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:16 pm 

POP LOL! I too am pulling for the Rays. They have really stepped up their presence here in AZ. They have a scout team for the first time and there area guys have been very visible here the last two years. They have also taken a number of Az. players recently. Now if they could only get a real ball park.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37 pm 

Tampa Bay. New team. Small Market. Young guys. If they can do it, so can we.....period. Go Rays!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 am 

I am rooting for Tampa Bay mainly because I am tired of the Boston fan. They don't win a championship in what 80 some years and then all of a sudden they are the greatest franchise in history? I will love to see the Bosox fans streaming towards the exits in game 5.

In the NL, I definitely do not want to see Manny being Manny in the WS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:26 pm 

If Manny played in the NFL, he'd be a wide receiver. It's between him and Barry for the biggest turd to ever play MLB. He'd actually get my vote over Barry.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:40 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
If Manny played in the NFL, he'd be a wide receiver. It's between him and Barry for the biggest turd to ever play MLB. He'd actually get my vote over Barry.

Honestly, Manny doesn't bother me nearly as much as Prince Fielder does. Plus, Price wins the "biggest turd" award simply based on his size!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:25 pm 

Agree 100 percent with Prince, Doc, AZ, and Piratefan 13. I'm hoping for a Rays-Phillies World Series and will root for Tampa Bay if it comes to pass.

Don't know that I'd go quite as far as Prince, tho', in describing Red Sox nation. But then, perhaps his opinion is informed by having observed some of them in action at Tropicana Field.

As a Greater Boston resident, I can report that there's far less passion here than there was last year or in '04. People I work with, those in my neighborhood, and the morning crowd at Dunkin' Donuts are mostly philosophical at this point, since the Red Sox are circling the drain. They seem to feel worse about the Patriots' problems or to be consumed by their hopes for the new Celtics season than by the misfortunes of the Olde Towne Team.

May all three of their teams fail.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:07 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Don't know that I'd go quite as far as Prince, tho', in describing Red Sox nation. But then, perhaps his opinion is informed by having observed some of them in action at Tropicana Field.

Bob, I think many long-time Sox fans would be properly mortified by the ignorant, obnoxious, violence-prone rabble that regularly invades the Trop, OPACY and other opposing teams' stadiums under the name of RedSox Nation. They're the closest thing baseball has to soccer hooligans.

Thanks to these creeps, any schadenfreude directed Boston's way is richly deserved.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
If there ever were a no-doubter that was certainly it. Man did he smoke that fastball!

I was going to head out to Dodger Stadium tonight to see if I could catch the HR ball. It should be landing right about now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:15 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

Bob, I think many long-time Sox fans would be properly mortified by the ignorant, obnoxious, violence-prone rabble that regularly invades the Trop, OPACY and other opposing teams' stadiums under the name of RedSox Nation. They're the closest thing baseball has to soccer hooligans.

Thanks to these creeps, any schadenfreude directed Boston's way is richly deserved.

Ah, OK then. I've been to several Rays' home games, but never when they've played the Red Sox, and haven't been to a game in Baltimore since Memorial Stadium closed. So I defer to your greater experience in the matter.

As for the schadenfreude part, I'm nurturing mine as we speak, hoping to put it to use as soon as Thursday night. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 pm 

Bob, the good LtCol hit the nail on the head. As a veteran of many Rays/Sawks games at the Trop, he couldn't have been any more correct with his description of Red Sox Nation and their citizens in St. Pete. Virtually any opponent at the Trop, especially those teams from the Northeast and Midwest, will have a contingent of fans in the ballpark. Most of these fanbases are well behaved and a nonfactor. Since the Trop is technically the Rays' "house", most visiting fans would be the type of houseguests who bring a dessert, clean up after themselves and send a "thank you" card. Sox fans at the Trop would be the houseguests who drink all your beer, run up a bill on your phone with 900 numbers, and fornicate with a prostitute in your bed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:52 am 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Sox fans at the Trop would be the houseguests who drink all your beer, run up a bill on your phone with 900 numbers, and fornicate with a prostitute in your bed.

I had a friend like that in high school, minus the 900 numbers. I still scratch my head as to why I called him my friend. I suppose I can see why PoP would feel this way.