Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:41 pm
Posts: 457
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Shark, you may be referring to Tyrone Mall. There is a shopping mall there that used to have attached movie theaters. The theaters were torn down some years back and it is only about a five mile trip to Madeira Beach from there.

The Trop has its pluses, including a roof (essential in Florida) and a plethora of affordable seats. The Rays are constantly at or near the top of the list for most fan friendly and affordable sports teams. Plus, Ferg's Sports Bar, which is adjacent to the ballpark, is one of the best sports bars anywhere and has the best wings in town.

_________________
Pittsburgh Baseball: Rebuilt and Reloaded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Shark, you may be referring to Tyrone Mall. There is a shopping mall there that used to have attached movie theaters. The theaters were torn down some years back and it is only about a five mile trip to Madeira Beach from there.


Seminole is actually the area, I was able to look it up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4964
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Tim Lincecum three outs from a no-no. Hunter Pence with an amazing catch to save the bid for the last out in the 8th...

_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10693
IA Pirate wrote:
Tim Lincecum three outs from a no-no. Hunter Pence with an amazing catch to save the bid for the last out in the 8th...

Lincecum finished the job. Pence saved it and Lincecum mowed 'em down in the 9th.

He threw a ton of pitches ... so much for pitch count.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:41 pm
Posts: 457
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
TheShark wrote:
Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
Shark, you may be referring to Tyrone Mall. There is a shopping mall there that used to have attached movie theaters. The theaters were torn down some years back and it is only about a five mile trip to Madeira Beach from there.


Seminole is actually the area, I was able to look it up.


Ahhh. Your description of the mall is rather accurate, however, I have never actually been inside of it.

_________________
Pittsburgh Baseball: Rebuilt and Reloaded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1425
Location: Eastern Shore
Does money bring happiness?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/ne ... &eref=sihp

Quote:
4. The Money Pits

Anybody else notice we haven't heard much talk about competitive balance the past few years? The most divisive issue of the 1990s labor wars has retreated to barely a mention.

Among the teams with the nine highest payrolls in baseball, six of them reached the All-Star break without a winning record: the Dodgers (47-47), Phillies (48-48), Giants (43-51), Angels (44-49), White Sox (37-55) and Blue Jays (45-49). And the list of teams getting little bang for big bucks should also include the Yankees (51-44), a fourth-place team.

(At the All-Star break, all six teams in the three biggest markets -- New York, Chicago and Los Angeles -- were out of playoff position.)

Among the six big money teams without a winning record, the Dodgers have the best chance of salvaging a playoff spot. Philadelphia, a .500 team for two years and now beset by injuries, is spinning its wheels. The Giants, Angels and White Sox need to get to .500 before they can even think about October. The White Sox are just plain awful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4964
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Ha ha, suck it Cards.


_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5612
Miami vs. Milwaukee...

What a clash of titans.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5612
Former Pirate Erik Bedard pitched 6 1/3 of no-hit ball vs. his other ex-team the M's last night.

Unfortunately, Astros lost the game 4-2 despite allowing only one hit.

And you thought the Pirates were having a bad stretch...

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:43 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1425
Location: Eastern Shore
Joe Posnanski, formerly of SI, is trying to ascertain what fans think about who is supposed to be in the HOF. You can vote here if you want on the first 15 players:

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/

So far, 1700 voters, yet only 90% think that Lefty Grove, who for my money was the greatest pitcher ever, ought to be in the Hall. But, you know, it's the internet....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5612
val wrote:
Joe Posnanski, formerly of SI, is trying to ascertain what fans think about who is supposed to be in the HOF. You can vote here if you want on the first 15 players:

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/

So far, 1700 voters, yet only 90% think that Lefty Grove, who for my money was the greatest pitcher ever, ought to be in the Hall. But, you know, it's the internet....


Last week I was surfing BR.com and their ELO Rater had Jim Thome somewhere between #25 and 35 overall and... wait for it... HONUS WAGNER 40th...

Yeah, internet indeed! :shock: :o :?

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7272
NSMaster56 wrote:
Former Pirate Erik Bedard pitched 6 1/3 of no-hit ball vs. his other ex-team the M's last night.

Unfortunately, Astros lost the game 4-2 despite allowing only one hit.

And you thought the Pirates were having a bad stretch...


He pulled himself out...He was over 100 pitches and his quote: 'I'd rather pitch a couple more years than face another batter.'

His line: 6 1/3 IP, 0 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 10 K

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2466
Location: Tejas
nad69dan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Former Pirate Erik Bedard pitched 6 1/3 of no-hit ball vs. his other ex-team the M's last night.

Unfortunately, Astros lost the game 4-2 despite allowing only one hit.

And you thought the Pirates were having a bad stretch...


He pulled himself out...He was over 100 pitches and his quote: 'I'd rather pitch a couple more years than face another batter.'

His line: 6 1/3 IP, 0 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 10 K


Johan Santana slow claps for Bedard and tips his cap.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7272
StarlingArcher wrote:
Johan Santana slow claps for Bedard and tips his cap.


One armed slow clap...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2466
Location: Tejas
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
I was a big proponent of the Bedard signing here. Although I was in favor of retaining Maholm that off-season, I thought rolling the dice on keeping Bedard healthy could pay dividends. It's a shame his control fell off the cliff (the actual BB numbers don't do justice to how often he struggled with hitting the zone), the strikout numbers were still there and he certainly looked hard to hit on a number of occasions. Just didn't happen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:54 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5612
Dodgers bats are on fire again tonight.

10 times now this month they've scored five or more runs, nine times six or more.

They're about to swing from seven under .500 to four over in 25 days/18 games (14-4 since June 29).

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:20 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2466
Location: Tejas
Brewers trade K-Rod for Nick Delmonico, who won't be anywhere close to ready this year to help them. Delmonico is a Top 200 prospect, per Keith Law. Haven't seen anywhere else specify his ranking.

I'm totally cool with the Brew Crew and Cubbies going into full-on rebuild mode. Helps the Pirates this year. Shame we don't get the Astros anymore with them doing it to (not that they have much to offer anyway now that Altuve is locked up). Their closer is Veras and, well, that speaks to the bullpen arms.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10693
StarlingArcher wrote:
Brewers trade K-Rod for Nick Delmonico, who won't be anywhere close to ready this year to help them. Delmonico is a Top 200 prospect, per Keith Law. Haven't seen anywhere else specify his ranking.

Top 200 is not really much of a prospect. I suspect that a top-200 guy would would be "iffy" to make the Pirates' top 15 prospects this year:

1. Taillon
2. Polanco
3. Hanson
4. Kingham
5. Glasnow
6. Heredia
7. Sanchez
8. Black
9. Meadows
10. McGuire
11. Bell
12. Jhang
13. Herrera
14. Dickerson
15. Allie
16. Pimental

So would this guy fit within the Pirates' top 15? Probably in the 12-14 area, ahead of Dickerson.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2466
Location: Tejas
Going off the PiratesProspects midseason Top 20, he'd probably fit into the 3rd tier which consists of Stetson Allie, Barrett Barnes, Kyle McPherson, and Tony Sanchez. Right ahead of Wyatt Mathisen and Clay Holmes (neither of whom are Top 200 guys...Allie and Barnes probably aren't either, especially Allie due to position). So, he's a strong B prospect. Figure he'd be Top 6-7 or so in a farm system if every team was equally represented in the Top 200 lists.

Edit: Going by numbers he'd probably be around 12th in the Pittsburgh system. But, the Pirates also have a really deep system.

Still, a solid B guy for 2 months of a middle reliever is big return for Milwaukee.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bucco boy, Google [Bot], JollyRoger, TheTimeIsNow, val, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits