Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The All-Encompassing Other Teams Thread...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am 

Interesting perspective on Davey Johnson's career:

Quote:
As a player, he got the last hit off Sandy Koufax (1966), congratulated Hank Aaron at home plate after he broke Babe Ruth's career home run record ('74) and batted behind the man, Sadaharu Oh, who passed Aaron's record ('75-76). As a manager, he jumped for joy in the dugout when the ball went through Bill Buckner's legs ('86) and ran from the dugout in outrage when Jeffrey Maier turned Derek Jeter's fly out into a home run ('96).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/83834 ... -nationals

Plus, he was a batboy, IIRC, with the old Washington Senators, and I'm hoping he brings the WS to Washington...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:30 am 

Neat interview with Derek Jeter. I admit to admiring the guy and will be sad when he finally does sail off into the sunset. Which, after this year, seems a little farther away.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8399 ... erek-jeter

Quote:
Me (Rick Reilly): OK, you have five world championship rings. How much do you think about Michael Jordan having six?

Jeter: Think about it? Of course I think about it. He reminds me all the time.

Me: He texts you and reminds you?

Jeter: All the time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 am 

Anyone hoping that Miguel Cabrera (now no longer the "other" Cabrera) wins the triple crown? He's got an 8 point advantage at the plate, he's got a 10 run lead in the RBI race and is tied at 42 with Josh Hamilton for the HR title. With 10 games left, he seems pretty unassailable for the first two, and with Detroit fighting for it's playoff life, maybe a bit more at stake than Hamilton.

It's been too long since Yaz did it. I'm pulling for Cabrera...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 am 

There aren't many players left who were playing back when I was a young man, but Chipper Jones is heading off to the sunset. While I'm plugging for an Orioles - Nats WS, I wouldn't mind too much if Atlanta got the title.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/84271 ... pper-jones

Quote:
Feat No. 1 -- .300 from both sides of the plate

The numbers: Jones hitting left-handed: .304/.405/.542. Hitting right-handed: .305/.391/.499.

What it means: There have been 106 switch-hitters in history who came to the plate at least 5,000 times. Only two of them hit .300 or better from both sides. One was Frankie Frisch, whose career ended 75 years ago. The other: Chipper Jones.

Quote:
Feat No. 2 -- Walking with the Mick

The numbers: Jones' career on-base percentage: .401. His career slugging percentage: .530. His career homers: 468. All as a switch-hitter, of course.

What it means: The list of greatest switch-hitters in history obviously includes men like Frisch, Pete Rose, Eddie Murray and even Lance Berkman. But only two switch-hitters are in that .400-.500-400 Club. One is Mickey Mantle. The other: Chipper Jones.

Quote:
Feat No. 3 -- Topping Schmidt and Brett

The numbers: 1,622 RBIs for Chipper -- and still counting.

What it means: In the history of baseball, only three players ever drove in more than 1,500 runs while spending most of their careers playing third base. Two were George Brett (1,596) and Mike Schmidt (1,595). You can learn all about them in Cooperstown, N.Y. But who's the all-time leader in RBIs by a guy who mostly played third base? Chipper Jones. That's who.

Quote:
Feat No. 4 -- More walks than whiffs

The numbers: Here Jones is, after more than 10,000 trips to the plate, still able to say he has piled up more career walks (1,505) than strikeouts (1,409). Hard to do.

What it means: More than 130 active players have hit at least 100 homers in their careers -- but only three of them have walked more than they've punched out. Albert Pujols and Todd Helton are two of them. The other: Chipper Jones.

Quote:
Feat No. 5 -- The greatest No. 1 overall pick ever

The numbers: 2,724 hits and 468 homers -- every one of them for the team that drafted him with the very first pick in 1990, the Atlanta Braves.

What it means: Only one other No. 1 overall pick ever hit 400 homers for the team that drafted him: Ken Griffey Jr., who hit 417 for the Mariners. But here's what separates Chipper from Griffey and every other No. 1 in history: This guy did everything for the team that picked him. If you don't count active players, you know what the next most hits and home runs is by a No. 1 overall pick who played his entire big league career with the team that drafted him? Ummmmm … would you believe 25 hits and two homers, by former Mariners great Al Chambers? You can look it up.

I always hate his one WS since it came at our expense, but it's hard not to appreciate Chipper's career.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am 

The fact that I will get to see Chipper's last game Wed factored in to my ticket purchase. 1st ballot HOF, unless the idiot voters intervene.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am 

In honor of the O's breaking their losing streak (if someone had to do it this year, it might as well have been the O's):

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 am 

While I am a Pirate's fan and a fan of whoever-is-playing-the-Yankees, it sucks that Jeter broke his foot. 12th inning, 6th game in 6 nights. How big a part did fatigue play???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm 

Yankees had day off on Tuesday. I doubt that fatigue played a role in the injury.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:55 am 

MLB v NFL in Baltimore....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... ml?hpid=z3

Quote:
Otherwise — and I say this as someone who finds Selig incredibly annoying about 99 percent of the time — MLB should tell the NFL to go suck an egg. Goodell can console himself by choosing one made by Faberge.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 pm 

val wrote:

Quote:
Otherwise — and I say this as someone who finds Selig incredibly annoying about 99 percent of the time — MLB should tell the NFL to go suck an egg. Goodell can console himself by choosing one made by Faberge.

That's funny because its the NFL with all the muscle and most are saying they should tell MLB to move or else. MLB has no leverage to win this fight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
val wrote:

Quote:

That's funny because its the NFL with all the muscle and most are saying they should tell MLB to move or else. MLB has no leverage to win this fight.

MLB has no reason to move the game, and the only leverage that the NFL can exercise involves paying a large sum of cash to move it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:07 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

MLB has no reason to move the game, and the only leverage that the NFL can exercise involves paying a large sum of cash to move it.

Why do they need MLB to move it, its not the same stadium.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 am 

My guess would be the stadiums are located very close to each other and share most of the same parking. Much like Heinz and PNC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 am 

ParrotLuv wrote:
My guess would be the stadiums are located very close to each other and share most of the same parking. Much like Heinz and PNC

Could be, I've never been down there. At any rate, the NFL can just buy them out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 am 

ParrotLuv wrote:

Yep, except it is ALL the parking that they share.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:09 pm 

Interesting piece on Tommy Lasorda.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/913 ... dodger-sky

Quote:
At age 85, Tommy Lasorda is wearing a baseball uniform. Every piece of it: loose-fitting Dodgers pants, a Dodgers jersey buttoned over his belly, and an uncreased Dodgers cap. In Phoenix, where I find him in March, Lasorda rises early each morning and drives a rental car to the Dodgers spring-training facility. When he pulls into the parking lot, he can't help but notice there are reserved spaces marked OWNER and MANAGER. Then there's a single space with a proper name: LASORDA. The other guys are replaceable; Lasorda — pending a roster move by the Big Dodger — is eternal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 pm 

And in the coincidences-that-interest-only-me file: Well it only took four games, but the last remaining undefeated team, Washington, was clobbered today by a Cincinnati team that hit 7 homers, while the last winless team, Miami, defeated the Mets, but not before trying to give the game away with one shaky bullpen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 am 

And from the numbers-that-only-I-probably-care-about file:

Paul Konerko is only 34 HRs away from passing Frank Thomas as the all-time leader for homeruns for the White Sox. Given that he's averaged 33 HRs a season over the past three years, he has an outside chance of knocking Thomas off the pedestal this season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:36 am 

val wrote:
And from the numbers-that-only-I-probably-care-about file:

Paul Konerko is only 34 HRs away from passing Frank Thomas as the all-time leader for homeruns for the White Sox. Given that he's averaged 33 HRs a season over the past three years, he has an outside chance of knocking Thomas off the pedestal this season.

Konerko's stats are pretty impressive when you look at them. Arguably HoF.

Some will say that he doesn't belong as he was an 'accumulator' or because he was never a 'true star player', but it's hard to objectively disregard his resume.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:03 pm 
 WWW  Profile

How do other teams handle good starters?

Well, the Reds knocked around Stephen Strasburg for 6 runs and a win while the Braves scored 4 runs in 5 2/3 innings thrown by Jeff Samardzija. Gotta work counts and make those aces throw hittable strikes...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next