Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Penguins....long ago whizzed by the Pirates.
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:11 am 

Pittsburgh's favorite sports team.

The Penguins haven't passed the Steelers -- yet -- but they're coming hard after having long ago whizzed by the Pirates.

The NHL is still well below the NFL and MLB as a whole, but in Pgh its a different story. I know many of you who post in here do not live in Pgh but Smizik is right about one thing for sure....the under 30 crowd has little interest in the Pirates

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08130/880449-61.stm

Post subject: Re: The Penguins....long ago whizzed by the Pirates.
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 pm 

"Right in front of our eyes, while almost no one is noticing, one of the greatest come-from-behind sagas in the history of Pittsburgh sports is unfolding."

Huh?

No one is noticing? Mark Madden has been saying this for a few years now. Bob Smizik reminds me of the brother in law in "Field of Dreams" who, after everything happens, can finally see what is going on. I'm (barely) under 30, and even though baseball is my favorite sport, the Penguins have been my favorite team since I was a teenager. Even when they were having their lean years (2002-2006), astute observers realized the Penguins were doing what the Pirates never do, using all those high draft picks to build for the future. Now the Penguins have possibly the best collection of "under-25" stars on one team that has ever been assembled, and they have energized this town. While the Pirates were having their lean years (let's give them benefit of the doubt and start at 1995, when they first really bottomed out, through, well, ????) we have sit by and watch them pass up the Prince Fielders of the world in the draft because they have money grubbing greedy owners who refuse to remove some of the money from their pockets and invest it in the team. Instead, they took "signable" mid-level relief pitchers because that has been the Pirate way for the last decade.

Bob Smizik is the same guy who 2 years ago wrote that it could be argued that the Pirates had been better than the Penguins during the 2002-2006 stretch. When I wrote to him to ask him if he was taking things like drafting Staal, Malkin, Crosby and Fleury into account, he said no. He said that if baseball had as liberal a playoff system as hockey, the Pirates surely would have made the playoffs in those years while the Pens struggled. Even then, no. Hockey takes 8 teams per conference into the playoffs. The Pirates were, I believe, no better than 11th in the National League any one of those years.

I want it noted that I am not a troll. I think Bob Nutting is one of the worst owners on sports, but I am going to see if some of these offseason, off field moves pay off. I hope they do, but I am not optimistic.

Let's Go Pens.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:42 pm 

....one more thing I want to add. The Penguins gave us awesome seasons from 1991-2001. They weren't always Cup contenders, but they won 2 titles and reached the conference finals 2 other times in that stretch. I think anyone will take 4 weak years between that and what the Pens are doing now.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:39 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Pittsburgh's favorite sports team.

The Penguins haven't passed the Steelers -- yet -- but they're coming hard after having long ago whizzed by the Pirates.

The NHL is still well below the NFL and MLB as a whole, but in Pgh its a different story. I know many of you who post in here do not live in Pgh but Smizik is right about one thing for sure....the under 30 crowd has little interest in the Pirates

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08130/880449-61.stm

I'd rather see the Pens win the Cup than see the Steelers win the Super Bowl or the Pirates win the World Series and I'm 47.

Shoot, I'd rather see the Pens take the season series and win a majority of the fights against the Flyers than see the Steelers win the Super Bowl, and I'm a Steelers fan. But the Penguins own my heart, and I hate the Flyers even more than I hated the Raiders back in the '70s. I hate the Flyers like the righteous hate sin. I hate the Flyers like Churchill hated Hitler. I hate the Flyers like the Founding Fathers hated George III. I hate the Flyers like Henry VIII hated the Pope.

I could go on and on, but I think you all know how I feel about the Flyers by now, LOL.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:53 pm 

Steelers won the SB, fantastic, Pens are going to with the SC, outstanding, I will be loving every minute of it, but if the Pirates win the World Series... ahhhhh then I will be uncontrollable. I will dance a jig(movire reference, 10 points for someone who can tell me which movie) in the streets of Baltimore, when we win the WS. Nothing would ever feel better than the Pirates dispaching a team like the Yanks or Bosox in the WS. Well, maybe if the Steelers go undefeated including a 40-0 win over the Patriots in the AFC championship game and 40-0 win over the Cowboys in the SB. That, may be #1.