Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad Idea, or Worst Idea Ever?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:06 pm 

Pirates PR Guy wrote:
The Pirates were approached by a long-time Pirates fan and Pirates Fantasy Camp goer, asking if the organization would consider feedback that he collected from the fans through his independent Web site in order to improve the experience at PNC Park. We agreed to consider any feedback he gathered as we are constantly seeking input from our fans. The fact we agreed to listen to whatever information is collected and agreed to shoot a brief online video communicating as much is the extent of the Pirates' involvement in PiratesFanAdvisor.com.

This is much more believable. My guess is that the PiratesFanAdvisor douche presented the idea like it was a curating type service for fan feedback. Then, once the website went live, the Pirates org saw it for what it was and realized that they made a mistake in agreeing to support it. The Pirates are right now engaging in damage control.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:18 pm 

There's a commercial! And it's exactly as bad as you would imagine it to be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... MMaufzjsys

Seriously, how dumb are the Pirates to get involved with this? I'm glad they're making the guy remove the awkward Coonelly video, but the Pirates need to be smarter about the businesses they endorse...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I believe that story. I'm relieved that they aren't complete idiots like I had thought a half hour ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:14 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I believe that story. I'm relieved that they aren't complete idiots like I had thought a half hour ago.

I believe it, too, but the Pirates shouldn't be shooting videos and endorsing businesses before they know exactly how it will be presented to people. That's not smart at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:35 pm 

Wish I could have seen it, but the site is down now. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:56 pm 

val wrote:
Wish I could have seen it, but the site is down now. :cry:

So you're saying my fleece jacket is in jeopardy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:43 pm 

Must have been the stampede of fans trying to sign up...... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:46 pm 

There is a letter from the owner now. I really don't know what this was all about, but he seems to blame DK for getting bad information out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
There is a letter from the owner now. I really don't know what this was all about, but he seems to blame DK for getting bad information out.

What's the "bad information"? It's all pulled directly from the PiratesFanAdvisor website. It's awful. In fact, the Pirates responded by pulling the endorsement video of Coonelly off of the site.

I followed the entire thing in real time, and I read the letter from the owner that is currently posted on Bucs Dugout. The guy is ridiculous, and he's essentially trying to rip off fans by selling them on the idea that their input will be used by the team.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The letter from the site owner gets his jabs in, and includes this:

"I apologize to all of the fans who already subscribed ..._ bla bla blah.

In all seriousness: I say dude has exactly *zero* subscribers. Does anyone disagree?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

What's the "bad information"? It's all pulled directly from the PiratesFanAdvisor website. It's awful. In fact, the Pirates responded by pulling the endorsement video of Coonelly off of the site.

I followed the entire thing in real time, and I read the letter from the owner that is currently posted on Bucs Dugout. The guy is ridiculous, and he's essentially trying to rip off fans by selling them on the idea that their input will be used by the team.

This

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:21 pm 

And DK didn't tweet that the Pirates don't care about their fans. Rather, he was making fun of PiratesFanAdvisor for calling fans who don't join "stupid" and for putting down fans who call in to talk radio or participate in free message boards. Here's DK's tweet:

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic Hey, stupid, unsophisticated #Pirates fans: Your favorite baseball team wants nothing to do with you https://piratesfanadvisor.com

Obviously, he's saying that "according to PiratesFanAdvisor," the Pirates don't want anything to do with stupid talk-show or free message board fans.

The guy who runs that site is a real piece of work...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:47 pm 

The Pirates Fan Advisor guy has his site down with a PDF File up...For some reason my browser cant open it or download it. Can anyone tell me or copy me what it says?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Good news guys - just got my $600 back!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Revisiting this BS, looking for updates, findiing none.

nad69dan wrote:
The Pirates Fan Advisor guy has his site down with a PDF File up...For some reason my browser cant open it or download it. Can anyone tell me or copy me what it says?

Here it is, so at least some evidence of the now-nuked website will still exist for posterity:

Attachments:
Pirate letter.jpg
Pirate letter.jpg [ 157.46 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Some found remnants:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Be part of a community of sophisticated and smart Pirate fans

Pirate Fan Advisors are the most knowledgeable, passionate and sophisticated fans and have affirmed their commitment to being Pirates Fan Advisors by signing the “Fan Pledge.” Typically, these fans are frustrated by the banality of traditional “fan forums” as the majority on those sites are simply not as knowledgeable. The very nature of the Fan Advisor Network means that only those with the deepest knowledge of the Pirates choose to participate creating a unique community for elevated discussion and debate.

The Fan Advisor Network is only for the most passionate, knowledgeable and committed fans. By signing up to become a Pirate Fan Advisor, I confirm that:

I don’t just like the Pirates, I am a zealot who follows them religiously and passionately.

I am willing and able to look at team issues from the perspectives of Pirates ownership, management, players and fans.

I will embrace my advisory role and understand that the Pirates front office will determine how best to utilize the information provided by the weekly Pirate Fan Advisor reports.

I am committed to answering the weekly advisory question on a regular basis and understand that my status as a Pirate Fan Advisor can be revoked as a result of me not providing insight at a minimal level.

I feel that I understand baseball more than the average fan.

I do not believe in “easy answers” and acknowledge that many issues upon which I will be asked to provide insight are difficult.

I am eager to assist the Pirates be a winning organization over the long haul.

I want to help the Pirates succeed, but am independent in my thinking from both players and management.

I can think about Pirates team issues objectively and at times agree with front office decisions and other times disagree.

I recognize that there are times when my opinion is not shared by the majority of other Pirates fans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:48 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Pirate Fan Advisors are required to provide their weekly feedback at a minimum of 80% (i.e, answer the weekly question at least 42 times a year). Failure to consistently answer the question could result in the Fan Advisor Network revoking the Fan Advisor status.