Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad Idea, or Worst Idea Ever?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:11 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Even when the Pirates start being awesome, they still find a way to get everyone laughing at them.

God damn it.

I'm waiting for you to chime in on Twitter under the hashtag #DearPiratesFanAdvisor

Don't let me down, Ape!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:13 pm 

"The feedback is analyzed, and then synthesized into a weekly confidential, official report that goes directly to the Pirates' front office".

If you haven't watched the 2nd video up there titled "What is the Fan Advisor Network", you've gotta do it...even if just for the lol's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:16 pm 

Oh wait, you get a fleece jacket with your name and Fan Advisor Network logo on it if you go balls out for the $600 plan. The deal's starting to look better and better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

"If you haven't watched the 2nd video up there titled "What is the Fan Advisor Network", you've gotta do it...even if just for the lol's."

I didn't, at first. What a bunch of bull-oney.

He calls himself Mike. Chief Fanatical Officer. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

RoxyChar wrote:
"The feedback is analyzed, and then synthesized into a weekly confidential, official report that goes directly to the Pirates' front office".

If you haven't watched the 2nd video up there titled "What is the Fan Advisor Network", you've gotta do it...even if just for the lol's.

AND THEN WE SYNERGIZE WINS!

I already forgot about all of my Packers stock!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Even when the Pirates start being awesome, they still find a way to get everyone laughing at them.

God damn it.

I'm waiting for you to chime in on Twitter under the hashtag #DearPiratesFanAdvisor

Don't let me down, Ape!

I may start a PiratesFanAdvisor tag. Good idea dug!

EDIT: You tricked me, peeps have long been all over that tag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:26 pm 

Dave Augustine wrote:
"If you haven't watched the 2nd video up there titled "What is the Fan Advisor Network", you've gotta do it...even if just for the lol's."

I didn't, at first. What a bunch of bull-oney.

He calls himself Mike. Chief Fanatical Officer. Ridiculous.

Big Mike looks EXACTLY what I would expect a Chief Fanatical Officer to look like. So much fail...just so much fail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 pm 

I don't care if the Pirates go 162-0 some year and have the #1 rated farm system, I will always and forever view Frank Coonelly as a BUFFOON.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

Some fine print:

*Pirate Fan Advisors are required to provide their weekly feedback at a minimum of 80% (i.e, answer the weekly question at least 42 times a year). Failure to consistently answer the questions could result in the Fan Advisor Network revoking the Fan Advisor status.

**Pins, certificates and jackets (depending on subscription level) will be delivered after three continuous months of being a Pirates Fan Advisor.

***The annual meeting will be limited in space. All Silver members will be invited, but reservations will be required and spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-served basis.

So you pay this scammer the money and if YOU don't answer enough questions they can revoke your "Fan Advisor" status? The avalanche of fail keeps building.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd pitch in to start a board fan advisor account.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:57 pm 

I first saw this on Sunday and was ranting. My girlfriend started rolling her eyes at me like, "Here he goes again." I'm going to show her this thread so she knows I'm not a crank. Thanks, comrades!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:22 pm 

I fail to see why there are so many negative opinions. Perhaps it does offer something you can get for free if you look elsewhere. It's like anything else -- if you don't like it, you have a choice of whether or not to sign up.

The Pirates should be commended for offering services with a potential for increased revenue to the team, no matter how silly the idea appears.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If you guys haven't paid $600, then you aren't a "trusted" advisor, and I'm not going to listen to you.

They'd make money if they allowed fans to sit in the dugout during games. They should do that!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

And people have a negative opinion of plenty of things that they aren't forced to sign up for or deal with. For example, I think Big Lots sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:27 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
And people have a negative opinion of plenty of things that they aren't forced to sign up for or deal with. For example, I think Big Lots sucks.

I like Big Lots.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:32 pm 

I stand corrected -- the Pirates are NOT receiving any financial benefits from the website. Dejan has been Tweeting about this subject. I am at work and can only access Twitter from phone otherwise I'd post his comments.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:33 pm 

Tommy Gunn wrote:
I fail to see why there are so many negative opinions. Perhaps it does offer something you can get for free if you look elsewhere. It's like anything else -- if you don't like it, you have a choice of whether or not to sign up.

The Pirates should be commended for offering services with a potential for increased revenue to the team, no matter how silly the idea appears.

The Pirates aren't making the money -- the Fan Advisor guy is. The Pirates are endorsing a dumb, condescending idea that (a) stands for the proposition that fans of teams should pay money to have their opinions heard, and (b) the Pirates should be listening to fan ideas in the first place.

Not cool. Deadspin covered it today (and included one of my tweets):

http://deadspin.com/5932990/?utm_campai ... socialflow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:38 pm 

Tommy Gunn wrote:
I stand corrected -- the Pirates are NOT receiving any financial benefits from the website. Dejan has been Tweeting about this subject. I am at work and can only access Twitter from phone otherwise I'd post his comments.

Then its a complete farce or worse a terrible idea that bodes poorly for decision making withing the organization. Why the hell would they want fan opinions when making tough decisions in jobs they are paid/trained to do??? Maybe I should solicit opinions on my research from people who have had the Flu. Oh yeah and make them pay to give it to me, although I don't get the money.

If it was a cheap money venture for show then fine, let some idiots walk around with a fan advisor jacket. This is somehow worse because it implies they actually care about fan opinion regarding the roster. Unless of course its a farce and no attention will be paid to it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:39 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Tommy Gunn wrote:

The Pirates aren't making the money -- the Fan Advisor guy is. The Pirates are endorsing a dumb, condescending idea that (a) stands for the proposition that fans of teams should pay money to have their opinions heard, and (b) the Pirates should be listening to fan ideas in the first place.

Not cool. Deadspin covered it today (and included one of my tweets):

http://deadspin.com/5932990/?utm_campai ... socialflow

OK I'm back to my original idea that its a scam.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:47 pm 

Here are DK's tweets

Dejan wrote:
Here's Brian Warecki, the Pirates' VP for communications on the stupid Fan Advisor thing, "The Pirates have no financial agreement or affiliation with PiratesFanAdvisor.com and receive no financial benefit in any way. The Pirates were approached by a long-time Pirates fan and Pirates Fantasy Camp goer, asking if the organization would consider feedback that he collected from the fans through his independent Web site in order to improve the experience at PNC Park. We agreed to consider any feedback he gathered as we are constantly seeking input from our fans. The fact we agreed to listen to whatever information is collected and agreed to shoot a brief online video communicating as much is the extent of the Pirates' involvement in PiratesFanAdvisor.com. To avoid any confusion among our fans that we are in some way asking them to pay to provide us with their input, we have asked the video be removed from the site. All of the many, many channels of communication remain available to our fans. Whether it is through our online surveys, social media platforms, customer service department, guest services stations at the ballpark, season-ticket holder Q&A events, fan forums at public events such as PirateFest, e-mail, standard mail or the many other options, we actively encourage our fans to share their experiences and opinions with us."