Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lanny Frattare Retires
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Only one problem. Lanny wasn't fired. He retired of his own accord.

"It was a difficult and emotional decision," said Mr. Frattare in a prepared statement by the Pirates, "but in the end I decided it was time."
Mr. Frattare was not available for comment.

Lanny has not spoken. He may not want to. I find it strange that the FO makes the announcement and not Lanny himself. Companies force employees to resign or retire. If you were forced out, it would be difficult and emotional too.
Look, I dont know what went on but after I saw that other post and the one Parrot mentioned about Lanny being critical, its not that far of a stretch to think that this was not Lanny's choice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:16 pm 

I'm guessing the truth exists in the middle somewhere, that Lanny decided to retire with perhaps a little encouragement, but we'll never know for sure.

Anyway, I liked Lanny, although most of my memories of him were from when I was a kid listening to Pirates games on the radio. I never had the chance to listen to him much as an adult, so my memory is probably skewed.

Can someone give Mike Lange an immediate contract extension, please? Just so we can have one sport with a long standing local broadcast icon?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:41 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
I'm guessing the truth exists in the middle somewhere, that Lanny decided to retire with perhaps a little encouragement, but we'll never know for sure.

I think you might be right jaybee. I could envision a scenario where he was instructed to start being more positive about the team, to stop with the critical comments, etc. And he may have felt that to be out of line and preferred to retire than work in a censored environment. But of course, that is nothing more than conspiracy theory. If he takes another gig this year or next with another team, that makes it much more likely that it wasn't an amicable split.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:53 pm 

BBF wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:

I think you might be right jaybee. I could envision a scenario where he was instructed to start being more positive about the team, to stop with the critical comments, etc. And he may have felt that to be out of line and preferred to retire than work in a censored environment. But of course, that is nothing more than conspiracy theory. If he takes another gig this year or next with another team, that makes it much more likely that it wasn't an amicable split.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburght ... 91193.html

Quote:
According to Coonelly, Frattare late last season indicated he was growing weary of the travel and daily grind of the job. Two weeks ago, during the Pirates' final homestand, Frattare asked about working a reduced schedule in 2009.

Coonelly said the Pirates were considering Frattare's request but had not made a decision. A few seasons ago, Blass gave up traveling with the team and now only broadcasts games at PNC Park.

"It's difficult to have the continuity you'd like to have in a broadcast if your play-by-play man is on a reduced schedule," Coonelly said. "But we were willing to at least talk about it."

Coonelly stressed that Frattare was not forced out by the Pirates.

"It was Lanny's decision," Coonelly said.

33 years is alot of baseball and especially considering how young he was when he started...its been his life, it must get tough being gone from March til October for 33 years...

I could see it being a little of both, but the article also mentions about management going to bat for him for Hall of Fame recommendation...That doesnt seem like something management would do if they fired him...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Mods should combine these into a single post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:56 am 

People constantly remind me just how bad we have it in Pittsburgh with the announcers, then I listen to the playoffs and think that we could have it a lot worse. Maybe I'm missing something?

Lanny was homer, and I absolutely hated his, "GO BALL, GET OUTTA HERE" (Walkie in the background mumbling "nope")............."Soriano makes the catch five feet from the warning track.....". But he had a great radio voice and everyone 40 and under grew up listening to him. Comparitively speaking, I think Lanny was a fine play by play guy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:32 am 

Argentum wrote:
People constantly remind me just how bad we have it in Pittsburgh with the announcers, then I listen to the playoffs and think that we could have it a lot worse. Maybe I'm missing something?

Lanny was homer, and I absolutely hated his, "GO BALL, GET OUTTA HERE" (Walkie in the background mumbling "nope")............."Soriano makes the catch five feet from the warning track.....". But he had a great radio voice and everyone 40 and under grew up listening to him. Comparitively speaking, I think Lanny was a fine play by play guy.

I agree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:48 am 

Tell you what, while listening to ESPN radio this morning, they replayed Vin Scully's call of the Dodgers winning their series. You'd have thought he was the other teams announcer. It sounded like a funeral oration.
Give me a Myron Cope, or Bob Prince any day. I want color and excitement. The Lanny's and Scully's are bland and boring

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:11 pm 
Any word on replacement?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:15 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:

read on

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:19 pm 

Quote:
73-year old Tony Kubek, the All-Star shortstop of the Yankees who was the voice of NBC's "Game of the Week" telecasts for over two decades, won the Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award on Tuesday. Long-time Pirate broadcaster Lanny Frattare, who just recently announced his retirement, was one of the 10 finalists for the honor.

Frattare spent 33 years as Pittsburgh's play-by-play man, leaving as the team's longest tenured broadcaster. He passed the Gunner, Bob Prince, in 2004 when Lanny rang up his 29th year in the Buc booth.

John Mehno of the Altoona Mirror says that Frattare is looking at some options for the future. He's expressed an interest in the unfilled AD job at Upper St. Clair High School, left vacant when Ted Peterson took a college job.

Frattare is also checking out openings in the Atlanta Braves' broadcast booth, and made his interest to get behind a mike again known to the new MLB network that launches next month

So a guy who was not "forced out" and "retired on his own" is looking for work for another team...or at a High School? Yeah sure...he left on his own{sarcasim}

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:06 pm 
bullishhitter wrote:
Quote:
73-year old Tony Kubek, the All-Star shortstop of the Yankees who was the voice of NBC's "Game of the Week" telecasts for over two decades, won the Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award on Tuesday. Long-time Pirate broadcaster Lanny Frattare, who just recently announced his retirement, was one of the 10 finalists for the honor.

Frattare spent 33 years as Pittsburgh's play-by-play man, leaving as the team's longest tenured broadcaster. He passed the Gunner, Bob Prince, in 2004 when Lanny rang up his 29th year in the Buc booth.

John Mehno of the Altoona Mirror says that Frattare is looking at some options for the future. He's expressed an interest in the unfilled AD job at Upper St. Clair High School, left vacant when Ted Peterson took a college job.

Frattare is also checking out openings in the Atlanta Braves' broadcast booth, and made his interest to get behind a mike again known to the new MLB network that launches next month

So a guy who was not "forced out" and "retired on his own" is looking for work for another team...or at a High School? Yeah sure...he left on his own{sarcasim}

I think few ever really believed he "left on his own." The bigger question I have is why? Did he do something behind the scenes to piss someone off, or were they just not happy with his work?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:02 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I think few ever really believed he "left on his own." The bigger question I have is why? Did he do something behind the scenes to piss someone off, or were they just not happy with his work?

Read this thread again....most thought he left on his own.
Why? From what another poster on here said was he was being very critical about the team. Since I dont listen, I can not say one way or another but if true, ownership does not want a paid employee being critical. When I did listen, I always thought Lanny was boring and just part of the media marketing team promoting whatever BS trinket or firework night they had upcoming.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:53 pm 
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Why? From what another poster on here said was he was being very critical about the team. Since I dont listen, I can not say one way or another but if true, ownership does not want a paid employee being critical. When I did listen, I always thought Lanny was boring and just part of the media marketing team promoting whatever BS trinket or firework night they had upcoming.

Hey BH. I should have been more specific, I mean most Pirates fans at large. (I'm an active member of 2 other boards, and now I just joined a 3rd additional board). I learned a while back that this board is not a corss-section of Pirates fans at large.

I liked Lanny OK. I didn't think he was outstanding. I think he was 4th of the 5 Pirate announcers. But I respected his tenure with the team.

On a side note, how, in any way, is he qualified to be a HS athletic director?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:55 pm 

Elmer wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Hey BH. I should have been more specific, I mean most Pirates fans at large. (I'm an active member of 2 other boards, and now I just joined a 3rd additional board). I learned a while back that this board is not a corss-section of Pirates fans at large.

I liked Lanny OK. I didn't think he was outstanding. I think he was 4th of the 5 Pirate announcers. But I respected his tenure with the team.

On a side note, how, in any way, is he qualified to be a HS athletic director?

Good luck finding a cross section of Bucs fans.

I've tried the Scout board and this board and neither of them gives a good representation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 pm 

/What qualifies as a good representation?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:53 pm 
Az Bucco fan wrote:

An equal sample. For whatever reason, there is a greater concentration of pro-management types and optimists on this board than there seems to be among the population at large. Whether that's right or wrong, I'm not sure, but there definitely is a higher concentration here than there are at other boards and greater than there seems to be in the stands, at the sports bars, on the talk shows, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:07 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

An equal sample. For whatever reason, there is a greater concentration of pro-management types and optimists on this board than there seems to be among the population at large. Whether that's right or wrong, I'm not sure, but there definitely is a higher concentration here than there are at other boards and greater than there seems to be in the stands, at the sports bars, on the talk shows, etc.

I think the opinion of being 'pro-management' around here is more towards looking at the track records of these new management guys...Giving these guys a chance...

Who cares how many consecutive years they have lost, there's teams that have had a winning season inbetween losing seasons only to go and lose the next 6 or 7 years after, this team is trying to undo the blunders of previous management and turn this team around to be a consistant winning organization year after year...

You mentioned before about some of the good baseball talk and there is good baseball talk here, and I believe the good baseball talk is part of the posters here being 'pro-management'...
There were many days here on the board in the past 4 years that I've been here that have included bashing of owners and management and coaching staff on decisions and trades...There are new people in place and they need time to do their thing to see if they are any better, and thus far have proven they are...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 pm 

I see my position as being Pro Patience, and its based on a new organizational philosophy that seems reasonable enough and successful enough elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:40 pm 

Well said 69 and Kingston.