Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lanny Frattare Retires
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:40 pm 

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08275/916581-100.stm

Quote:
"The decision to retire from the Pirates broadcast booth was something I have been thinking about and have discussed for some time, but a decision I did not make until after the final road trip of the season," Frattare said. "It was a difficult and emotional decision, but in the end, I decided it was time."

Though Lanny sometimes could get on your nerves, he was a good guy, and was one of the better on air guys in Baseball...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Lanny Frattare Retires
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:46 pm 

Lanny>>>>>>>>>>Greg.

Yeah, he could get annoying, but he has been the voice of the Pirates for longer than I've been alive. Every call I can remember was his call. Wonder who the free agent play-by-play guys are?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:47 pm 

BBF wrote:
Lanny>>>>>>>>>>Greg.

Yeah, he could get annoying, but he has been the voice of the Pirates for longer than I've been alive. Every call I can remember was his call. Wonder who the free agent play-by-play guys are?

I think we stay away from free agents and try to bring in a prospect!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:54 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
BBF wrote:
Lanny>>>>>>>>>>Greg.

Well, in that case...I'm really good at talking. And I like to watch baseball. Maybe I'll get the callup.

Of course, I'd just get demoted when I yell at Blass to shut the hell up about his dang golf game and watch the friggin game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:56 pm 

BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
BBF wrote:
Lanny>>>>>>>>>>Greg.

Well, in that case...I'm really good at talking. And I like to watch baseball. Maybe I'll get the callup.

Of course, I'd just get demoted when I yell at Blass to shut the hell up about his dang golf game and watch the friggin game.

I'd nominate myself too, but I'd hate wearing a plastic sheet over myself on hot humid nights to keep from getting spit on by Wehner...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:00 pm 

I liked Lanny.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:20 pm 
Argentum wrote:
I liked Lanny.

There were times he got on my nerves, but overall I liked Lanny. Really, I like the Pirates whole announcing crew (even Brown).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:31 pm 

BBF...
I've got five bucks that says you won't have to worry about Blass....he will be next to go and soon.

Hey, maybe we could do it together....I can hear it now...."Who are those clowns up in the booth" (Re-insert picture here)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:36 pm 

bradf wrote:
BBF...
I've got five bucks that says you won't have to worry about Blass....he will be next to go and soon.

Hey, maybe we could do it together....I can hear it now...."Who are those clowns up in the booth" (Re-insert picture here)

I nominate BBF and Bucfan as the new on air team for the Pirates...just so we can see what cool graphics and pictures Bucfan can find to use during telecasts!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:46 pm 

:(

First Myron dies and now Lanny retires.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 pm 

Good riddance. Lanny was awful. The fact he stuck around so long was he was well-liked, and rightly so. Very nice guy. As a baseball announcer, he had so many flaws. I hope they bring someone in really good because Greg Brown is very average too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:31 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I hope they bring someone in really good because Greg Brown is very average too.

That's the nicest thing I've ever heard anyone say about "Brownie". :P

As an aside, any time Walk calls him Brownie, I think of eStragand...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:34 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Good riddance. Lanny was awful. The fact he stuck around so long was he was well-liked, and rightly so. Very nice guy. As a baseball announcer, he had so many flaws. I hope they bring someone in really good because Greg Brown is very average too.

They might be average, but that average is alot better than some of the ones that have been out there broadcasting like in Cincy and Houston...

Just as long as its not Mark Madden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:47 pm 

I agree with the sediment that Lanny was boring at times, but he has a good baseball voice and wasn't horrible to listen to. I wish him well in his retirement.

Go Rays!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:25 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

Ditto....Lanny drove me nuts. Laughed uncontrollably in an effort to make the color guys comments seem "hilarious". Regardless of my dislike of his announcing I wonder if he finally had seen enough of this crap. I noticed this year he became much more critical of the team, especially in his post game comments. He was always the biggest homer around(which is ok I guess) but this year I noticed a different tone. Who could blame him.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:33 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I noticed this year he became much more critical of the team, especially in his post game comments. He was always the biggest homer around(which is ok I guess) but this year I noticed a different tone. Who could blame him.....

The quote below is from another board, but this may be true. I always thought Lanny was a Pirate apologist. But if what Pirate Parrot said was true(I dont listen)then it could be that him being critical but honest may have cost him his job. When ticket sales are in decline, ownership does not want a paid employee to be critical. If that is the case, I'm sorry Lanny was canned, but am all for him for speaking out and just "telling it like it is"

Quote:
Lanny is a family friend and I know for a fact he absolutely did not retire. He was forced out against his will and is downright devastated.

I'm not surprised, however. If this franchise has taught us anything since '92, it's that it has no ability to evaluate talent. It's a damn shame that he suffered with this team for so long and they won't honor the remainder of his contract. I don't know what else to say.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:15 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
I noticed this year he became much more critical of the team, especially in his post game comments. He was always the biggest homer around(which is ok I guess) but this year I noticed a different tone. Who could blame him.....

The quote below is from another board, but this may be true. I always thought Lanny was a Pirate apologist. But if what Pirate Parrot said was true(I dont listen)then it could be that him being critical but honest may have cost him his job. When ticket sales are in decline, ownership does not want a paid employee to be critical. If that is the case, I'm sorry Lanny was canned, but am all for him for speaking out and just "telling it like it is"

Quote:
Lanny is a family friend and I know for a fact he absolutely did not retire. He was forced out against his will and is downright devastated.

I'm not surprised, however. If this franchise has taught us anything since '92, it's that it has no ability to evaluate talent. It's a damn shame that he suffered with this team for so long and they won't honor the remainder of his contract. I don't know what else to say.

Whoever wrote that is an idiot, as it makes no sense at all. Think about it: you get fired in the middle of a contract, your former employer refuses to pay you off for the remainder of the deal, but you voluntarily make a public statement that you have retired? I could see him doing that if they were paying him off, maybe. Just more evidence that Bullish is gullible enough to believe anything, as long as it puts the Pirates in a bad light.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:18 am 

sisyphus wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Quote:

Whoever wrote that is an idiot, as it makes no sense at all. Think about it: you get fired in the middle of a contract, your former employer refuses to pay you off for the remainder of the deal, but you voluntarily make a public statement that you have retired? I could see him doing that if they were paying him off, maybe. Just more evidence that Bullish is gullible enough to believe anything, as long as it puts the Pirates in a bad light.

He has to get his jollies somewhere since he had the wind taken out of his sails with Alvarez signing...I thought something smelled shitty in here...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:10 am 

Maybe they'll hire Mike Lange... I can hear it now... "buy sam a drink and get his dog one tooooooo"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:49 pm 

Only one problem. Lanny wasn't fired. He retired of his own accord.