Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coaching openings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:45 am 

With Andrews and Frazier gone...what possible coaches are out there?

The Post-Gazette mentioned John Farrell as a possible pitching coach...
Two names that popped in my head were a chance for Bob Walk, but the team seems interested in someone with experience and Leo Mazzone, (and I'm sure everyone knows his track record.)

As for the coaching vacancy on the bench, a name that popped in was John Wehner...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Coaching openings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:14 am 

nad69dan wrote:

Two names that popped in my head were a chance for Bob Walk, but the team seems interested in someone with experience and Leo Mazzone, (and I'm sure everyone knows his track record.)

As for the coaching vacancy on the bench, a name that popped in was John Wehner...

Leo would be a great hire.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:18 am 

nad69dan wrote:

I would LOVE for Wehner to get the job so as to get him out of the booth!! :D

I am not sure why John Farrell would be mentioned by the PG considering he didn't even want the manager job. Even with his son in the organization, I would assume it would be difficult to pry him away from Boston.

I believe there was a full debate on this board to why Leo Mazzone would NOT be a good fit for the Pirates, maybe someone could give us a small summary to that argument(outside of the fact that he is expensive).

As far as Bob Walk goes, I am not sure he is interested, I belive it would be an interesting choice, considering he doesn't have any experience running a staff at any level.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:24 am 

One of the best pitching coaches of the last decade wouldn't be a good fit for the Pirates?

There's always Rick Peterson.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:28 am 

Apparently he wasn't too good of a fit over in B'more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:34 am 

Jeremy wrote:
One of the best pitching coaches of the last decade wouldn't be a good fit for the Pirates?

If Mazzone could somehow manage to get the Pirate pitchers the same strike zone as Smoltz, Glavine, Avery, Maddux et al., then he would be a great fit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:42 am 

Found this little quote

Quote:
In his book The Baseball Economist, J.C. Bradbury titles a chapter, "How Good is Leo Mazzone?" Using statistical analysis, he analyzes whether Mazzone had a significant impact upon the pitchers that he coached. The sample is all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. Bradbury found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of .64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers' ERA increased by an average of .78 points. Bradbury believes that such an impact is deserving of Hall of Fame consideration.

Should peak the interest of the "stats" guys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Found this little quote

Quote:
In his book The Baseball Economist, J.C. Bradbury titles a chapter, "How Good is Leo Mazzone?" Using statistical analysis, he analyzes whether Mazzone had a significant impact upon the pitchers that he coached. The sample is all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. Bradbury found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of .64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers' ERA increased by an average of .78 points. Bradbury believes that such an impact is deserving of Hall of Fame consideration.

Fascinating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:16 pm 

If the Pirates can actually get Mazzone, that's swell, but seriously doubt it would happen. I would prefer going after someone that we have a realistic chance at seeing in black and gold, and that's probably someone who hasn't had a major league job yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:17 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Found this little quote

Quote:

Considering that Mazzone coached for the Atlanta Braves for most of his career, I have a feeling that Turner Field has more to do with that than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:25 pm 

Quote:
Considering that Mazzone coached for the Atlanta Braves for most of his career, I have a feeling that Turner Field has more to do with that than anything else.

Considering also that Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz had quite the expanded strike zone had to help a little also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:45 pm 

i just can't get that u guys even doubt mazzone..

to me.. it would be a f...ing interesting job to take this pitching group.. you can only win..
it could not get worser then this..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:32 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Mazzone went to Baltimore for chrissakes.

He'd come for money. He's out of work.

But, the PPG reports that it looks like Peterson is of interest. He fits a lot of the bill. Biomechanics, and other forward-looking techniques.

Hey, he got into Ollie's head, and got it as straight as anyone is going to get Ollie's head. He could do wonders with Snell and Gorzo.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:25 pm 

Peterson has had success at both Oakland and New York. He is an intelligent coach and the son of former Pirate executive Pete Peterson.

Peterson noted the following about pitching in an interview in 2003: "Peterson says he has had no problem with pitchers accepting his program 'when I show them the data from Dr. Andrews' studies that can help them, when they see the evidence that most of their velocity comes from hip rotation, or that 99 percent of shoulder injuries occur during the deceleration phase of pitching, when the ball's out of their hand.'"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... tBody;col1

The article is pretty interesting and notes that the A's pitchers performed very well during Peterson's tenure:

Code:
Year    W-L     Pct.   ERA      ShO    Svs    SO      BB

1998   74-88    .457   4.81      4     39     922    529
1999   87-75    .537   4.69      5     48     967    569
2000   91-70    .565   4.58     11     43     963    615
2001   102-60   .630   3.59      9     44   1,117    440
2002   103-59   .636   3.68     19     48   1,021    474

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:36 pm 

I would then have to select Peterson myself because he fits in with what NH is trying to establish in the Pirates organization.

Who was the 1st base coach from the Marlins that they couldn't get last time around?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:48 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
I would then have to select Peterson myself because he fits in with what NH is trying to establish in the Pirates organization.

Who was the 1st base coach from the Marlins that they couldn't get last time around?

Perry Hill, I believe. Well respected infield instructor, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:24 pm 

Hey, just keep reminding yourself....a couple of years ago, the Pirates would have hired Benny Hill and Scott Peterson.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:13 pm 

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:15 pm 

bradf wrote:
Hey, just keep reminding yourself....a couple of years ago, the Pirates would have hired Benny Hill and Scott Peterson.

And it would have been an IMPROVEMENT over Tracy and Colburn!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:58 pm 

I was kinda hoping for Tim Conway and Don Knotts