Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates rated worst franchise AGAIN
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:00 pm 

Any reasonable person would have to rate the Pirates lowest. Based on the last 15 years there's simply no competition. We haven't started this year well, and have not made any real changes to make us a winner NOW.

We all have hope that the new people will bring a new day but it will be years of development for it to show itself. I agree that NH is making small moves to do what he said he would do. Make the 2008 team better and build for the future. We need to see the draft and player trades later before we can evaluate the possible future team.

But for now -- not enough talent to win consistently, period. Bad is right.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:17 pm 

Elmer wrote:
I also find it humorous that so many people on this board slam the past scouting and talent evaluation of the Pirates yet praise this new regime. Guess what ... virtually all the scouts, talent evaluators, etc. remain the same.

One should not immediately assume that those scouts and talent evaluators were not good at their job. From my understanding, it was not the quality of the scouts that were the problem; it was the quantity.

Elmer wrote:
Until the team wins, it's fair to criticize them. You don 't win based on potential.

Tell that to the Tampa Bay Rays, who currently reside in 2nd place in the highly competitive AL East.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:36 pm 

Willton wrote:
Elmer wrote:
I also find it humorous that so many people on this board slam the past scouting and talent evaluation of the Pirates yet praise this new regime. Guess what ... virtually all the scouts, talent evaluators, etc. remain the same.

One should not immediately assume that those scouts and talent evaluators were not good at their job. From my understanding, it was not the quality of the scouts that were the problem; it was the quantity.

Elmer wrote:
Until the team wins, it's fair to criticize them. You don 't win based on potential.

Tell that to the Tampa Bay Rays, who currently reside in 2nd place in the highly competitive AL East.

Like I said somewhere earlier, if you're given a certain job to go out and do it, you do it...If Littlefield told them to look for crappy #3 Left Handed Starters thats what they would do...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...